Pink ID card Debate !!!...

It is required if you want to continue paying for the Thai social security health insurance on your own after leaving a job or retiring. Took 4 SS offices and over an hour  on the phone for a Thai friend to get this information. They kept telling me/him foreigners can't continue SS on their own. Lied to him even when he said he was a lawyer and asked for the section they were quoting.

10 minutes ago, orchidlady said:

It is required if you want to continue paying for the Thai social security health insurance on your own after leaving a job or retiring. Took 4 SS offices and over an hour  on the phone for a Thai friend to get this information. They kept telling me/him foreigners can't continue SS on their own. Lied to him even when he said he was a lawyer and asked for the section they were quoting.

I did this without a pink card. 

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

it would have only saved me just two visits to the immigration office for a C of R ( for licence renewal). in 4 years.  As I say, not worth the effort. 

You make the statement ’Not worth the effort’ as if its a general fact, which of course is disagreeable. 

I think what you really should be writing is that obtaining a yellow Tabien Baan house book and accompanying Pink ID card is not worth the effort for YOU.....   in which case, fare enough, a lot of people with simple circumstances would make very same claim that the effort of obtaining the documents is greater than the saving they would offer. For others, the effort is clearly worth it - IMO it wasn’t a great deal of effort at all. 

48 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

haha, once every 5 years?  Come on, hardly a necessity is it?  Last time I renewed my 5 year licence I wasn't required to watch the video. There is a good deal of 'clutching at straws' on this post subject,  people trying desperately to justify the unjustifiable. 

And you too are clutching at straws to justify so hard why you don’t want or need the card. 

Avoiding having to pay 2500 baht and a visit to the British Embassy is hardly ‘clutching at straws’...  

You have started using flawed example: Everyone requires proof of address to renew their licences. 

Additionally, a rather irrelevant point you made on the video, however, everyone is required to watch the 50min ‘video’... IF you didn’t watch the video, its only because you were lucky and somehow managed to avoid it / were forgotten about etc...  I’ve had to watch that dumb video numerous times !

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I did this without a pink card. 

Are you married?  I was asked if I was married or had a Thai child, then yes I could sign up. I even got this at the headquarters office. THey didn't need the actual pink card but they needed the same number that would be on a pink card, from registration at local district office. If you go through all the BS to get the registration, paying 40 baht for the card was simple.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Neeranam said:
52 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

used to have pink ID / Yellow book at a previous address, I found the yellow book actively useful a fair few times (cars, bikes, licenses, etc). I found the Pink ID card almost entirely useless, accept as a 'I am more Thai than you are' expat badge of honor. 

You could have kept the card, couldn't you?

I got a pink card from the police station, not the townhall. 

That should be "I am more NON-Thai" ???? 

<  'I am more Thai than you are' expat badge of honor >

I think this is what puts the noses out of joint for some of those who are ‘anti-pink ID’....  

The idea that guys who carry the Pink ID think they are ’somehow more Thai’ or if its a badge of honour is totally idiotic...... anyone who would think like this is an idiot no matter what they carry in their wallet. 

So... avoiding the ’theories of grandeur’ or the ‘projected feelings of grandeur’ as those who don’t know but assume those who carry the pink card have some inflated sense of ego.....  the Yellow Tabien Book is useful - I don’t think that is being debated.  The Pink ID, unnecessary, but is useful for some but to a limited extent (i.e. at Banks, National Parks and to simply carry as a form of ID in the event of being stopped).

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, DefaultName said:
55 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Use the number in your blue house book(tabien bahn to some expats) to book the vaccine.

The app won't accept that.

The app requires the 13 digit ‘Thailand ID’ in your Yellow Tabien Baan (for foreigners) or Blue Tabien Baan for Thai’s. 

For foreigners the 13 digit ‘Thailand ID’ starts with 6...  

The App also requires a further ID # which is on the rear of the Pink ID card, for foreigners this starts with B.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

The app requires the 13 digit ‘Thailand ID’ in your Yellow Tabien Baan (for foreigners) or Blue Tabien Baan for Thai’s. 

The App also requires a further ID # which is on the rear of the Pink ID card, for foreigners this starts with B.

Thanks.

This brings me back to my initial question;

"I'd like to get this pink card to register for the vaccine.

I don't have a yellow book.

I have a blue book (condo owner).

Married to a Thai.

On a Non-O visa with retirement extension.

Can I do this and, if so, where do I go in Pattaya?

Thanks"

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I agree.  

Some use it to renew their DL every 5 years(proof of address). Khon Kaen didn't accept mine. 

Residence certs are free from immigration anyway. 

In most (not all) cases, those who have not filed a 90 day report are unable to get 'Letter of Address' from Immigration. 

I have read on this forum that in Chiang Mai Immigration will issue a ‘Letter of Address' without having done a 90 day report. In Bangkok at Chaeng Wattana they would not unless I have filed a 90 day report. 

I am hardly ever in country longer than 90 days (in 20+ years I’ve only ever had to file a 90 day report two times). 

Thus: In the past I have had no choice but to obtain the rather expensive Affirmation of Residence letter from my Embassy (i.e. have too book an appointment, usually 2 weeks wait, then travel to the Embassy (no hardship) and obtain the document paying about 2500 baht for the Notary services). 

The Yellow house book saves both the time and the money and has been useful in avoiding the above process (Embassy issued Affirmation of Residence) on 3 occasions - Note: it is the Yellow Tabien Baan House Book which is useful in this situation, although the last time I renewed my Driving and Motorcycle license the DLT (Area 3 Sukhumvit Rd Bangkok) were not interested in the Yellow House Book and wanted copies of the Pink ID card (which surprised me). 

Even my banks wouldn't accept it, I had to show my passport. 

I was refused in a hotel with it. I got on a plane with it, but always could with my DL. 

My Bank accepts it, no issues (no need to carry my passport around).

Whenever travelling out of Province I always have my Passport with me anyway. 

Seems like some here are promoting this thing for some strange reason. 

It doesn't do any harm having it but not really worth the effort. 

I am not ‘promoting’ the Pink ID card, but I want to offer information of how I have found the card useful and counter the ‘negative’ opinions some have of this card because they have projected that some who carry it have some sense of inflated ‘Thainess’ !!! 

IMO - obtaining the Yellow Tabien Baan house book is definitely worth the effort. 

Obtaining the Pink ID takes an additional 20 mins and 40 baht (I think thats the price) and not really any extra effort at all. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

<  'I am more Thai than you are' expat badge of honor >

I think this is what puts the noses out of joint for some of those who are ‘anti-pink ID’....  

The idea that guys who carry the Pink ID think they are ’somehow more Thai’ or if its a badge of honour is totally idiotic...... anyone who would think like this is an idiot no matter what they carry in their wallet. 

So... avoiding the ’theories of grandeur’ or the ‘projected feelings of grandeur’ as those who don’t know but assume those who carry the pink card have some inflated sense of ego.....  the Yellow Tabien Book is useful - I don’t think that is being debated.  The Pink ID, unnecessary, but is useful for some but to a limited extent (i.e. at Banks, National Parks and to simply carry as a form of ID in the event of being stopped).

Believe me (as an ex holder of said card) more than a few expats proudly proclaim the fact they have said card in exactly that way.. Its the in wallet amulet !! 

Again, before the vaccine, what actual guaranteed use is it (the card, not the yellow book).. I came up with zero over about 5 years. 

The yellow book has uses, its mildly handy to remove the need to get an immigration letter.. But the ID card.. Zilch.. 

11 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Thanks.

Married to a Thai.

Thanks"

Amphur. 

As it seems wildly amphur dependent, even ones net door to each other in the same province, I suggest you go ask them for thier list. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

Thanks.

Married to a Thai.

Thanks"

Pattaya City Hall on Pattaya Nua

see required documents below

yellow.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I have just looked in my yellow book, and yes, I do have a 13 digit number and as far as I can work out using my local unpaid translator (my 16 year old Thai son) I got it on 14th December 2009. I was not offered the Pink ID at the time.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2021 at 8:46 AM, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for reply and I have a yellow book.

My Thai DL's have my Thai ID number on them and have used it to get into places in the past but I'm done with that now.

I have never had a problem at all with producing ID in my years here.

Until the vaccine came up I've heard of the I.D. only in conversation never look into it until now.  My wife has the yellow book but it doesn't show I having anything to do with it although I paid for it.  After things die down we will certainly go down to the office and give it a try since we also have other matters to take care.

Maybe because I look Thai seldom ask to pay double when I'm ask for my passport I pull out my laminated copy if they don't take that 100% of the time they have taken my Thai DL, I have a number of bank accounts my passport has never been a problem. Never found a need to get the I.D. the big question for me will that I.D. get me equal treatment instead of the head/Toe run over when I'm laying in the emergency room?????

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

Until the vaccine came up I've heard of the I.D. only in conversation never look into it until now.  My wife has the yellow book but it doesn't show I having anything to do with it although I paid for it.  After things die down we will certainly go down to the office and give it a try since we also have other matters to take care.

Maybe because I look Thai seldom ask to pay double when I'm ask for my passport I pull out my laminated copy if they don't take that 100% of the time they have taken my Thai DL, I have a number of bank accounts my passport has never been a problem. Never found a need to get the I.D. the big question for me will that I.D. get me equal treatment instead of the head/Toe run over when I'm laying in the emergency room?????

Been and stayed in our govt hospital twice, all falangies pay.

First off used my Thai DL at the hospital because it has my Thai ID number on it in the ID section instead of my passport number.

I'm now registered in our local govt hospital and have a revisit check-up slip.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Been and stayed in our govt hospital twice, all falangies pay.

First off used my Thai DL at the hospital because it has my Thai ID number on it in the ID section instead of my passport number.

I'm now registered in our local govt hospital and have a revisit check-up slip.

I registered at the local government hospital (15 km away) using my passport a few years ago. Yes I do pay every time I go there, however when I had my right big toenail removed, I paid for that but I went to a couple of local government clinics on a daily basis, and they replaced my dressings for free.

I have always found that the local hospital and clinics were very good and not that expensive.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

I registered at the local government hospital (15 km away) using my passport a few years ago. Yes I do pay every time I go there, however when I had my right big toenail removed, I paid for that but I went to a couple of local government clinics on a daily basis, and they replaced my dressings for free.

I have always found that the local hospital and clinics were very good and not that expensive.

Yeah I'm very grateful to our local Sukhothai hospital I get 4 monthly appointments for Ashma and other health checks so I'm all good.????????????

On 5/1/2021 at 10:50 PM, Kwasaki said:

My Thai DL's have my Picture, my address and my Thai ID number not my passport number and I use them as ID.

Not arguing, just noting that my Thai DL does have my passport number on it, probably because I don't have a pink card. 

I bought a house last year in Huahin so I have the Yellow book but my name isn't on it. I was told I can do that at Bluport Immigration office in Huahin or go to Bangkok for some extended paperchase that other people tell is a waste of time. 

Opinions, comments, suggestions? 

10 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Not arguing, just noting that my Thai DL does have my passport number on it, probably because I don't have a pink card. 

I bought a house last year in Huahin so I have the Yellow book but my name isn't on it. I was told I can do that at Bluport Immigration office in Huahin or go to Bangkok for some extended paperchase that other people tell is a waste of time. 

Yes, if all the Land Transport Office had to go on was your passport than it would make sense that the number on your Thai driver's license is the same as your passport.

I'm a little confused at the yellow book comment, though.  I've not heard of a yellow book issued without someone's name being in it.  If you have the book I would expect to find your name in Thai (not English) at the top of the second page of the yellow book.  If it's not there, then that is indeed a puzzlement.  I would think though that it has nothing to do with an immigration office and would need to be sorted out at your local amphur office (from whence the yellow book was issued).  Yellow books in my experience are issued at your local amphur, not in Bangkok, unless your local amphur is in Bangkok.

Anyway, I would check that you're really not in the yellow book as not having a name in the yellow book sort of defeats the purpose of having a yellow book.  When a foreigner buys a condo freehold they get a blue book for the property which doesn't typically have their name in it (as they are not Thai and only Thais or PRs can be listed in a blue house registration book), but a foreigner would have their name written in the yellow book for the same property.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

Fair call and I don't know about Thai DL's having Thai ID numbers if you have a pink card, I don't want or need a pink card anyhow.

That said I can understand why some expats want one.

My Thai DL's have a Thai ID number from my yellow house book.

I really don't see what fuss is all about all I need for ID is my passport at the bank but they still take a photocopy of my Thai DL because it has my Thai ID number on it, I guess makes the branch look more observant.

It maybe inconvenient to carry your passport sometimes but you have to going to immigration but at the end of the day no worries for expats all you need for ID is your passport.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RocketDog said:

. I was told I can do that at Bluport Immigration office in Huahin or go to Bangkok for some extended paperchase that other people tell is a waste of time. 

House Book has nothing to do with immigration. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 3:01 PM, LivinLOS said:

Believe me (as an ex holder of said card) more than a few expats proudly proclaim the fact they have said card in exactly that way.. Its the in wallet amulet !! 

Again, before the vaccine, what actual guaranteed use is it (the card, not the yellow book).. I came up with zero over about 5 years. 

The yellow book has uses, its mildly handy to remove the need to get an immigration letter.. But the ID card.. Zilch.. 

A lot of spelling out and repetition going on... 

Uses of Pink ID beyond the yellow house book: 

- Bank use (when not carrying passport)

- National Park Entry (getting Thai price, I know not a big deal, but....)

- ID to carry (if / when BiB stop you and you are not carrying a Passport and they don’t accept a DL)

- ID number on the back of the Pink ID (this ID is needed to register for the Mohpromt app)

Perspective: The Yellow Tabien baan is the more important document. So, if people are arguing that the Pink ID is not worth the ‘hoop jumping’ they would be correct, but the hoop jumping is for the Yellow Tabien Baan, the Pink ID is a supplementary to the Yellow Tabien Baan and requires no hoop jumping, no extra hassle an extra 40-60 Baht and an extra 20-30mins of your time... the question really is, why wouldn’t you get the Pink ID when getting the Yellow Tabien Baan ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

A lot of spelling out and repetition going on... 

Uses of Pink ID beyond the yellow house book: 

- Bank use (when not carrying passport)

- National Park Entry (getting Thai price, I know not a big deal, but....)

- ID to carry (if / when BiB stop you and you are not carrying a Passport and they don’t accept a DL)

- ID number on the back of the Pink ID (this ID is needed to register for the Mohpromt app

Every single one except the vaccine is exactly the same with a driving license.. 

I didnt have my pink ID work at any national parks after 14 / 15 kind of time, at any better ratio than my Thai DL (DL actually worked recently after not working a few times, totally hit and miss). 

On 5/3/2021 at 2:20 PM, richard_smith237 said:

You make the statement ’Not worth the effort’ as if its a general fact, which of course is disagreeable. 

I think what you really should be writing is that obtaining a yellow Tabien Baan house book and accompanying Pink ID card is not worth the effort for YOU.....   in which case, fare enough, a lot of people with simple circumstances would make very same claim that the effort of obtaining the documents is greater than the saving they would offer. For others, the effort is clearly worth it - IMO it wasn’t a great deal of effort at all. 

what a pedantic point.  You need to get out more. 

• Haha 2

On 5/3/2021 at 2:50 PM, DefaultName said:

Thanks.

Married to a Thai.

Thanks"

It's done online. Get the app. ASk your Thai.