Expats in Thailand report successfully registering to receive COVID-19 vaccine

17 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I knew it wouldn't be too long before I read a post like this. Well here's the good news, no one has been 'blocked by design' at all. Those who took the trouble to read the whole article that was posted yesterday (Saturday) would have read this:

''What priority groups must do:

To get free a COVID-19 dose, they can register for vaccination from May 1 by contacting their hospital or village health volunteer. However, the government is encouraging people to register and make a vaccination appointment via LINE for greater convenience''.

So you don't HAVE to have a pink card at all. I have already been registered at our local clinic.

Vaccination booking opens in Thailand,

Doesn't mention Foreigners in that article can Foreigners register?
It does say this though.

Who gets vaccination priority?

Thais aged over 60 – 11.7 million people in total – will be fast-tracked for jabs. They will be joined by another 4.3 million people whose underlying illnesses make them more vulnerable to COVID-19. Prioritised are people with chronic respiratory diseases, heart/blood vessel conditions, chronic kidney failure, stroke, obesity, cancer and diabetes.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DirtyHarry55 said:

Doesn't mention Foreigners in that article can Foreigners register?
It does say this though.

Sounds like Thais only for the earlier group but as usual here it is not completely clear.

58 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Beggars can't be choosers. 

It seems that you are seriously worried for your life and I can feel for you. You must have a pretty harsh underlying condition. Good luck getting all registered and then the jab. For the Sinovac is worrisome because you will need 3-4 jabs before best outcome, and top me that means 1 jab not even good enough at 17% efficacy rate, and then do they have enough to get you the next 2-3 jabs to put you in the all clear zone? Probably not..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

This is total B.S.!

We don't have even one successful report of even one expat registering manually at any hospital in Pattaya with passport only.

Just because you and of course others have found success does NOT mean that great numbers of expats are not facing total roadblocks. 

Yep and just because you were able to register don't mean your first in line either.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

most informative post yet, thank you. 

Yeah, doesn't take a genius to figure that one out about the lack of vaccine. Just as I mentioned above, even if you can get a Sinovac jab, it will take 2-3 more over a period of small time to bring you into the safe zone, and they plainly don't have enough to give people 3-4 jabs. Have to wait until Siam Bioscience comes miraculously to save the day for all the people in the Thai Kingdom. Sort of like Mighty Mouse's song but you can replace the I with a share holders title and name or Big P's.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, grandpa said:

My wife tried to register me yesterday by speaking to my hospital consultant's nurse.  I am in the vulnerable category being 73 and having 3 of the conditions on the government list.  The nurse said not to worry, and to wait, as they have no supplies of AZ vaccine yet and very little Sinovac, which she described as "useless" and inappropriate for me anyway.  She also said that my consultant would notify me when they had appropriate vaccine available. 

What she said doesn't make 100% sense because it's registration for Vaccination in July when the Atrazeneca should be availabe.
Maybe she just didn't want to tell you don't qualify.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/as-vaccination-booking-opens-in-thailand-who-can-get-jabs-and-how/

Members of prioritised groups will be vaccinatedbetween June 7 and July 31. By then, Siam Bioscience Co Ltd will be producing millions of AstraZeneca vaccine doses in Thailand, says the government. The firm should be able to provide 6 million doses in June and 10 million in July, according to officials.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

It does in this article. You MUST have read the headline at the very least!

Yes the Headline is:

As vaccination booking opens in Thailand, who can get jabs and how?

and doesn't mention foreigners...did I miss something else?

• Confused 1

32 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Gloating much?

The question is how many of these people will still be gloating after they show up for their shot and the nurse sees their white face and tells them to go home and wait.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Is there a local government official to do that in Pattaya?

It's the head of our local tessaban(?).  She came to our village and asked who wanted a jab. We said yes!

One of the government officials you see on the billboards plastered all over during elections.  LOL. We're in Sattahip district.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be clear: "While private hospitals have been given approval to procure vaccinations, the government is yet to give the green light for other businesses in the private sector to do the same."  -- government has since reversed its position and does nto allow private hospitals to purchase vaccines (nor anyone else).

in Bangkok and Pattaya at least, none of the private hospitals are booking people for vaccines, only government hospitals. Probably because they do not know if or when government will supply them with vaccine.

There has been 1 report of an upcountry private hospital registering people though.

• Like 2

Just a simple married to a thai, father of a thai child,

No pink ID, no SS number, not over 60, not chronic ill,

Waiting for 2022-(23?) to get next in line...

With the choice between the so-so sinovac (50% effective per Brazil data) or AZ ( most Europe stopped using it),

actually not feeling the immediate rush to line up, 

eventually prepared to pay for Pfeizer or Moderna the typical farang surcharge of 3-5x of cost + the hospitals fee.

Meanwhile reading that dozens of hospital staff in self isolation,

would make a good idea to finish theie 2 jabs each, alas someone may be going for vaccine get home with covid instead.

I know common sense isn't so common nowadays...

So yes for vaccine, no for this messy way right now.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What it says at the top THIS article @DirtyHarry55, the one you're reading right now is:

Need we go on?

Oh I see my apologies I thought you meant the Title of the link you provided.
In any case one of those Expat's used his Thai ID which most of us don't have.
Lets see how this folds out seems there's a lot of confusion with information the usual bad planning.
I'm hoping Thailand will do the right thing without discrimination considering they were given the Astrazeneca vaccine out of good will on a not profit basis.
So I think that good will should be extended to all equally.

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

What it says at the top THIS article @DirtyHarry55, the one you're reading right now is:

Need we go on?

Some yes.

But do you think its good enough that so many are trying and failing?

I don't. 

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

The registration hasn't even been running for 2 full days yet and it's a weekend. Come back with your moans in a months time when you have some real evidence. 

Come on man. Pay attention! We know for a fact that the system won't accept passport numbers.

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Did you miss the recent announcement that the government had decided they will not allow private hospitals to acquire their own vaccines?

An example in point. A private hospital in Pattaya stated they will have doses "later" (not defined) and it will be the unpopular not very effective Sinovac and MAYBE one other brand. I'm assuming probably Astra Zeneca.

Yes, I missed that.  But I very much doubt that if there's a market for foreigners wanting to pay for their vaccination at a hospital, it won't be possible. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

34 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

To be clear: "While private hospitals have been given approval to procure vaccinations, the government is yet to give the green light for other businesses in the private sector to do the same."  -- government has since reversed its position and does nto allow private hospitals to purchase vaccines (nor anyone else).

in Bangkok and Pattaya at least, none of the private hospitals are booking people for vaccines, only government hospitals. Probably because they do not know if or when government will supply them with vaccine.

There has been 1 report of an upcountry private hospital registering people though.

That's correct. 

Thank you.

Neither BPH or PIH are taking bookings. 

Do you think government hospitals in Pattaya would manually sign up expats with only passports? Or wait? Any particular hospital?

Also what's your opinion about people over 60 with some other conditions taking Sinovac? I'm hearing sometimes that would be inappropriate. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Sad 2