Expats in Thailand report successfully registering to receive COVID-19 vaccine

A couple of comments:

(1) Just about all the vaccination programs in every country so far (with a very few exceptions such as Israel) have started out a shambles. Getting the thing organized is a massive task even for well-run & rich countries such as Oz. It takes time but eventually the numbers vaccinated start to soar and things settle down. Even the anti-vaxxers start to line up. In shambolic Thailand it's not remotely surprising that things are shambolic. Be patient.

(2) The obsession on this site with 'private hospital' and 'free choice' is likely to be disappointed, at least till quite late in the process. I think in most 'Western' countries the campaign is run, and tightly run, by government agencies. Not every country is an American free-enterprise get-out-of-my-way paradise. Governments receive - all too slowly - the vaccinations they have ordered - or those that become available whether ordered or not - and then distribute them to the administering agencies, usually government ones at large government sites rather like field hospitals. That's the only way anyone can cope with the numbers involved. Later in the process your local GP gets involved at his or her clinic.

• Like 1

The government probably expect most genuine residents have learnt some thai and have got the pink ID card which has been offered to them . The advantage of the pink ID card has become more beneficial than just trying to get the cheap rate at the national park . 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

This is total B.S.!

We don't have even one successful report of even one expat registering manually at any hospital in Pattaya with passport only.

Just because you and of course others have found success does NOT mean that great numbers of expats are not facing total roadblocks. 

It also does NOT mean that the program does not work for ALL farangs.

Personally I have not tried it yet as I don't have a "pink ID card".

That is a job for my wife and I to do later this week.

I don't expect things here in Thailand to be handed to me on a plate, but with a yellow house book (which I have) and a pink ID that has gone to the top of my roundtuit list I will try and see what comes of it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

i have no idea what the govt hospitals in Patts would do, only one way to find out.

the number of expats in Pattaya is such that it would have a substantial implication for vaccine requirement to include them, compared to other upcountry locations where it really wouldn't matter. If the vaccine allocation to government hospitals is based on Thai population data (as it well may be) then that would be a powerful reason for them to not vaccinate expats.

Recent data indicates Sinovac works as well in people over 60 as in people under it.  (There was never any data suggesting otherwise, just an absence fo data). That said, for sure Sinovac is less effective than AZ. And it is AZ that they plan to give to the over 60's.

Good point about Pattaya thanks.

Yes I do recall that the Pattaya doses are based on resident population so that might be bad news for expats as you suggest. 

Of course I and assume most expats don't mind paying for it at a private hospital but as we know there are no vaccines there for now. 

Do you think a person over 60 with some other risk conditions should accept Sinovac if that's all that is offered or take the chance of waiting to hopefully get Astra or another one?

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Can you please tell us exactly who to contact for this in Pattaya?

You want all the Thais to help you, then your embassy and now you are asking me?

You really need to start taking some initiative and you will have less anger in your life.

Here ya go.....

http://gishealth.moph.go.th › pcu
โรงพยาบาลเมืองพัทยา ข้อมูลทรัพยากรสุขภาพ หน่วยบริการปฐมภูมิ

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

in Thailand I think the chance of getting AZ vaccine is very good. in fact since Sinovac is nto approved i Thailand for people over 60, your chance of being offered Sionovac is slim.

I also doubt the private hospitals will accept Sinovac, not attractive to their customer base.

I'm confused again.

I'm aware if that policy but I recently got info from PIH that if when they get doses it will only be Sinovac and only MAYBE some other brand.

So I think my question might still be relevant if some of us are offered Sinovac or nothing. 

2 hours ago, RobMuir said:

Harden up.

Or how about you get a pink ID card and learn some Thai language since you live here.

Then maybe you could translate their website for them.

We are getting vaccines, stop complaining. 

You want the Thai government and your embassy to do everything for you and if they don't you get angry?

It's an integral part of the Thai beaurocratic process, and it links into other various Thai departments etc.

Why should it accept foreign passport numbers which are issued by other countries and Thailand has no input or control over issue or checking whether the passport number is still valid or supersededed, cancelled etc? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

4 minutes ago, RobMuir said:

You want all the Thais to help you, then your embassy and now you are asking me?

You really need to start taking some initiative and you will have less anger in your life.

Here ya go.....

http://gishealth.moph.go.th › pcu
โรงพยาบาลเมืองพัทยา ข้อมูลทรัพยากรสุขภาพ หน่วยบริการปฐมภูมิ

Thanks for the links but you couldn't help peppering it with insults.

I don't understand the level of outright meanness of some people on issues such as this. 

To add can you confirm that you personally manually registered at one of those Pattaya locations with passport only  or not?

4 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Underlying health conditions include severe chronic respiratory disease, cardiovascular disease, chronic kidney disease, stroke, cancer, diabetes and obesity

Well, that covers just about 95% of all expats I know.

Edited by RichardColeman
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, scorecard said:

It's an integral part of the Thai beaurocratic process, and it links into other various Thai departments etc.

Why should it accept foreign passport numbers which are issued by other countries and Thailand has no input or control over issue or checking whether the passport number is still valid or supersededed, cancelled etc? 

Because the government announced that all foreigners legally living here will get vaccines. So promised if sincere should be supported with practical solutions to deliver on them.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

in Thailand I think the chance of getting AZ vaccine is very good. in fact since Sinovac is nto approved i Thailand for people over 60, your chance of being offered Sionovac is slim.

I also doubt the private hospitals will accept Sinovac, not attractive to their customer base.

Yes, it is important that foreigners over 60 with underlying health conditions as stated, should receive the AZ vaccine and refuse the Sinovac.

Time will tell.

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

Anyone offering a person over 60 the Sinovan vaccine would be doing so against Thai government policy. I doin't think at all likely.

Interesting.

But if they did should people accept it or not?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Because the government announced that all foreigners legally living here will get vaccines. So promised if sincere should be supported with practical solutions to deliver on them.

In other words you're special and entitled.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, morrobay said:

No - Forget about all this register/app , BS. Just walk into a private hospital with cash an ask for what you want and when you want it.  End of Story

It's only a vaccine and should be given at any hospital or doctors office. They are acting like we are trying to get a permit for a gun. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, John Drake said:

The purpose behind these topics is for people to share meaningful information, which in this case includes directions and suggestions about how to engage the mechanism to obtain a vaccination. People in fact are "taking the initiative" in coming to this English language site to find out what they can about the vaccine program. They don't need to be chided for your perceived faults. 

Thanks for chiding me.

I sent him the link already. All sorted

• Like 1

I got on the list at Chiang Mai Ram Hospital, not worrying about the free government list.  Was at the hospital today and asked a nurse if she had heard when we might be getting the vaccine. She said, maybe 6 months. Did she know which vaccine we would be getting? No idea. So, I remain hunkered-down, mask-wearing, hand-washing, and hoping.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a Thai ID holder I can confirm it has no material benefits whatsoever.

Just psychological benefit ( Tabien Baan first then, National ID) of feeling more committed / embedded here as a Property Lessee ( Owner) Resident with Thai Family.

See so many “thai govt” obssessors here.

There is zero reason to trust any govt with any part of your health.

• Confused 1