How to register in the Mor Prom app as a non-Thai

jackdd

5 hours ago, jackdd said:

this verification fails if using data from a pink ID card (probably because the pink ID card doesn't have a "laser code", I can't inspect this further because I don't have valid pink ID card data), thus foreigners can't register anymore.

Pink cards do have a reverse laser code and no Thai ID I've seen has a laser code starting with the letters JT like the example at login.  So neither seems to account for some foreigners having trouble.

Pink card laser codes are a slightly shorter probably because the code is a physical card id, commonly used to invalidate lost or stolen cards. This code needs to be longer on Thai IDs  because there are so many more Thai IDs than pink cards.

Your theory that they want to stop foreigners may be true but far from proven. There continue to be examples of people registering with pink cards and some mention using the shorter laser codes.

But we can always hope for the best,.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Yesterday evening I called 1422 which I believe is a sort of hotline for the Covid issue. There is an English option.  A lady spoke to me who spoke English very well. I explained to her Im an American living here on a retirement visa. I do not have any type of ID card. I told her I was going to be 66 years old soon, and concerned about not being able to get a vaccine. I explained to her I also have health insurance to cover any cost of the vaccine if necessary.

She told me that as of July 1 Foreigners can register for the vaccine.  And in August it should start.

Personally Im not comfortable waiting that much longer. But I suggest people can call that number with questions. You might need to wait for a while for someone to answer. But sometimes they answer right away.

Thank you! 

This is what I've been trying to tell people on a Pattaya specific vaccine app but some people just can't accept this dark reality. I've even been accused of fomenting conspiracy theories. 

We are included.

But later.

And high risk foreigners later too.

That is atrocious but it is reality.

Edited by Jingthing

7 hours ago, rabas said:

no Thai ID I've seen has a laser code starting with the letters JT like the example at login.

My girlfriend's ID card starts with JT, and also most pictures on Google image search show JT. Some pictures show JC though. But in either case these two letters are followed by 10 numbers.

If anybody has some very basic Python3 knowledge and wants to try what works and what not, I made a simple script which calls the API they use to verify the data:

import json
import urllib.request
url = 'https://smarthealth.service.moph.go.th/phps/public/api/card/bylaser'
d = {"cid" : "",
     "firstName" : "",
     "lastName" : "",
     "birthDay" : "",
     "laser" : ""}
req = urllib.request.Request(url, data=json.dumps(d).encode('utf8'), headers={'content-type': 'application/json'})
response = urllib.request.urlopen(req)
print(response.read().decode('utf8'))

cid is the ID number

first/last name has to be in Thai

birthday uses the format YYYYMMDD, so if you are born on 15th June 2503 you would use 25030615

laser is the code on the back of the card

If in the answer "isError" is false, and "code" is 0, it means the data you used works, and you could also use it to register on Mor Prom.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

@jackdd Have you seen this app "Mohprompt" (android from playstore)

image.png.3c80a07df44e0bd934218d6d8c78c4f7.png

It appears to be only for Chonburi province (pattaya)

Its very similar to line/app but it doesn't ask for laser code.

This app accepts Pink IDs, can make an appointment no problems.

I can currently log in to this app with just pink ID number, the app auto populates all my details, and shows I have an appointment (made via the line/app)

It doesn't make a lot of sense that they would be blocking foreigners from the Line app, when a big chunk of the expat population can still make an appointment with pink card and this app.

Also, not sure if you have seen this thread this morning. which is also at odds wwith blocking foreigners on the line app

"Foreign residents and expats who are over 60 or have an underlying disease can register now for the second wave of the Thai government’s vaccination process with inoculations scheduled to be carried out in June and July. "

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Most likely because the registration is only for Thais.

We had reports here on Thaivisa where people tried to contact their local hospital and were turned away, either because they said "no foreigners", or a general "you can't book an appointment here".

Verified no appts by calling Chula Hospital, Bangkok.

On 5/2/2021 at 4:27 PM, Peterw42 said:

What makes you think they only want Thais to register ?

To name a few things off the top of my head.

1) It's not offered in English.

2) Thai ID required.

3) No option to select for non-Thai citizens.

4) Even if you have a Thai wife/partner/friend that you can piggyback off their registration you still need a Thai ID number and can't use your passport number.

6 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

@jackdd Have you seen this app "Mohprompt" (android from playstore

I believe one has to type or copy-paste the Thai text หมอพร้อม into the search field in Google Play Store. When I tried Mohprompt on my phone just now, it gave now search results.

10 minutes ago, Puccini said:

I believe one has to type or copy-paste the Thai text หมอพร้อม into the search field in Google Play Store. When I tried Mohprompt on my phone just now, it gave now search results.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mor.promplus

22 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why do they always have to complicate things? Usually, you present a Thai ID card or, in the case of non-Thais, your passport number. With vaccine registration, passport numbers are not allowed. Why? Perhaps, according to swn59nj's post above, from 1st July that will change - Quote She told me that as of July 1 Foreigners can register for the vaccine.  And in August it should start.

IMO the reason for not accepting passport numbers is because the MorProm app is just a way to placate foreigners with a false sense of security, and nothing more. 

It is incredibly disingenuous to limit ID options to only a Pink Card, which most foreigners have no reason to possess if they have a valid passport, or especially if they have a valid Thai Drivers license with photo ID! 

There was absolutely no valid reason to do that.  All it accomplishes is to provide yet another roadblock to getting all people vaccinated as quickly as possible. 

When you consider that every single person that is vaccinated (whether they are Thai or non-thai) is one less person that can spread the virus, this stipulation for a Pink Card is ludicrous and counter-productive for the entire population as a whole.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WaveHunter said:

IMO the reason for not accepting passport numbers is because the MorProm app is just a way to placate foreigners with a false sense of security, and nothing more. 

It is incredibly disingenuous to limit ID options to only a Pink Card, which most foreigners have no reason to possess if they have a valid passport, or especially if they have a valid Thai Drivers license with photo ID! 

The way more likely reason is that it is made for Thais, and foreigners aren't supposed to register there.

When you consider that every single person that is vaccinated (whether they are Thai or non-thai) is one less person that can spread the virus,

Vaccinated people can still spread the virus.

Edited by jackdd

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

The way more likely reason is that it is made for Thais, and foreigners aren't supposed to register there.

Vaccinated people can still spread the virus.

Nit picking is a waste of time.  Both of your criticisms are pretty poor and sound more argumentative than informative.

You and many others make it seem like vaccinations are only intended to protect the recipient, when in fact the whole purpose of vaccinating individuals is to protect the population as a whole.  As such, everyone living here needs to be vaccinated ASAP.

You may be correct that the MorProm app is intended to make it more difficult for foreigners to use it, but if the goal is to end the pandemic as quickly as possible, that would be a huge mistake, and no public official would admit that it was intentionally designed for that purpose. 

The Mor Prom app should encourage everyone (Thai and non-Thai) to easily register.  By limiting ID options to only Pink Cards it actually hampers Thai and non-Thai alike from registering.  It's as simple as that. 

Anyone who has a Thai Drivers License has absolutely no need for a Pink card, so the logical option for ID criteria should have included a Thai Drivers License since that ID is the most common form of ID for opening bank accounts, travelling domestically, etc.  Far more Thai Nationals probably have Drivers Licenses than Pink Cards for ID purposes.

FYI, foreigners are supposed to be able to register (and can register if they have a Pink Card).  It is illogical to assume otherwise  since an unvaccinated foreigner is just as likely to spread the virus as an unvaccinated Thai National.

Stop looking at vaccinations as though they are only intended for your personal protection.  It's not about you; it's about the entire population as a whole.

As for your comment that vaccinated people can spread the virus, I think you are fully aware that the chances of that happening are GREATLY diminished to almost nothing except contact transmission, and even that has such a low probability as to be statistically insignificant.

Edited by WaveHunter

16 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

As such, everyone living here needs to be vaccinated ASAP.

I agree. But there are still about 70 million Thais who haven't been vaccinated. Why would a country vaccinate foreigners before it has vaccinated all of their citizens? The queue is long enough without foreigners.

20 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

FYI, foreigners are supposed to be able to register (and can register if they have a Pink Card).  It is illogical to assume otherwise  since an unvaccinated foreigner is just as likely to spread the virus as an unvaccinated Thai National.

Since Sunday they disabled the possibility for foreigners to register through the Mor Prom Line "app" with their pink ID card.

Why did they make this change, if foreigners are supposed to register there?

32 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

As for your comment that vaccinated people can spread the virus, I think you are fully aware that the chances of that happening are GREATLY diminished to almost nothing except contact transmission, and even that has such a low probability as to be statistically insignificant.

I don't see how a reduction by 50% is "almost nothing", but at least you understand that there is still a chance.

27 minutes ago, jackdd said:

I agree. But there are still about 70 million Thais who haven't been vaccinated. Why would a country vaccinate foreigners before it has vaccinated all of their citizens? The queue is long enough without foreigners.

Since Sunday they disabled the possibility for foreigners to register through the Mor Prom Line "app" with their pink ID card.

I don't see how a reduction by 50% is "almost nothing", but at least you understand that there is still a chance.

Addressing your points:

Point 1:  It's not a matter of Foreigners being vaccinated before Thais; it's a matter of allowing both to be vaccinated simultaneously, not according to nationality but according to what risk category they are in..  I say this because in the final analysis, whether you are Thai or non-Thai, the priority should be in eliminating the spread of the virus (not merely protecting the individual).  I mean, an unvaccinated  foreigner is just as likely to spread the virus to the population, as an unvaccinated Thai National...so really it's just as important to vaccinate both ASAP.

The lack of inertia in the vaccine rollout is seriously hampering this from happening.  If they just got on with certification of the Moderna et al other vaccines, and stopped playing political games with allowing private hospitals to participate, there would probably be no need for this Thai vs non-Thai debate.

Point 2: I think the real question should be why was the ability of foreigners to use the app to register, later disabled.  In other words, at first they allowed it.  Why did they "change their minds" and disable it?

I don;t doubt that's it's probably been disabled now.  Like many things in how authorities are managing this pandemic, first they say one thing, then the next day they do something completely contradictory.  That kind of explains why the whole vaccine rollout is such an utter fiasco.

Point 3:  Not sure what you are referring to when equating "a reduction of 50%" to "almost nothing"   In my last paragraph I simply said that there is no evidence to date that a vaccinated person can spread the virus to a non vaccinated person except through surface contact transmission. (i.e.: they touch something infected and then touch you).

Perhaps you are referring to another one of my posts where I said that researchers have now determined that herd immunity could be reached with 50% of a population being vaccinated??

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yet some people continue to report success using the shorter pinkcard laser code, while others fail. Mine failed before that 'change'. Why is that?

The logic doesn't stand. Why on Earth would professionals use a lost or stolen laser control code or other axillary code, common on security cards, to allow/disallow database access to users? A bit irrational. Especially as they do control access according the official control fields in the 13 digit ID, i.e., the 6,7,8 for foreigners.

I would want a logical theory and evidence before trying to discourage people.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, rabas said:

Yet some people continue to report success using the shorter pinkcard laser code, while others fail. Mine failed before that 'change'. Why is that?

The logic doesn't stand. Why on Earth would professionals use a lost or stolen laser control code or other axillary code, common on security cards, to allow/disallow database access to users? A bit irrational. Especially as they do control access according the official control fields in the 13 digit ID, i.e., the 6,7,8 for foreigners.

I would want a logical theory and evidence before trying to discourage people.

I think the real truth of the matter is a lot of foreigners who think they are registered to receive the vaccine on a such and such a date after succesfully registering on MorProm are going to be surprised when that day comes and they do not receive the vaccine 

I may just be a natural born pessimist but I really believe this whole thing is just meant to placate foreigners into a false sense of security and nothing more.  In other words, politics, as usual.

Edited by WaveHunter

the priority should be in eliminating the spread of the virus (not merely protecting the individual)

Yes exactly, and in regards to eliminating the spread it doesn't matter if they vaccinate a Thai or a foreigner, so Thailand does value the life of Thais more and gives them priority, imho a reasonable decision.

Point 2: I think the real question should be why was the ability of foreigners to use the app to register, later disabled.  In other words, at first they allowed it.  Why did they "change their minds" and disable it?

I don't think they changed their minds. Either it was simply a bug that allowed foreigners to register on the first day, or it was an oversight, and once they noticed that foreigners can register they added the verification to prevent this.

I'm still waiting for any explanation from you why foreigners can no longer register. There is just nothing that makes sense as an explanation to "Why is there now a verification in place which doesn't allow pink ID cards?", besides "Foreigners aren't supposed to register".

Point 3:  Not sure what you are referring to when equating "a reduction of 50%" to "almost nothing"   In my last paragraph I simply said that there is no evidence to date that a vaccinated person can spread the virus to a non vaccinated person except through surface contact transmission. (i.e.: they touch something infected and then touch you).

According to the numbers I've seen, Sinovac has an efficacy of about 50%, this means half of the vaccinated persons get any symptoms from the disease, compared to unvaccinated people. If the virus causes symptoms in your body, you can also spread it.

51 minutes ago, rabas said:

I didn't inspect the source code of the Mor Prom Line "app" on Saturday, so I don't know how exactly the verification worked back then, I can only see how it works now.

Most people here don't even understand the difference between an "app" and a "website". Probably the people who report a success here, since after Sunday, used the app from the app store to which Peterw42 provided the link above (Mor Prom by Chonburi hospital), which probably (I can't download it due to not having a Thai Play store account) doesn't have the extra verification step and might still allow registration with a pink ID card. These people probably didn't use the "official" Mor Prom Line "app".

51 minutes ago, rabas said:

I'm quite certain that if an ID number is registered in the system, it can't be registered again. The only way to verify (obviously not 100%, but better than nothing) that the person doing the registration is actually the owner of the ID card is through the laser code. Without any verification somebody could just register random numbers, and block those people from registering. Due to incompetent software developers, it's actually still possible to register random people, but at least they try to prevent it. They don't control access by the first digit of the ID number, who told you that they do?

Edited by jackdd

56 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

I think the real truth of the matter is a lot of foreigners who think they are registered to receive the vaccine on a such and such a date after succesfully registering on MorProm are going to be surprised when that day comes and they do not receive the vaccine 

I may just be a natural born pessimist but I really believe this whole thing is just meant to placate foreigners into a false sense of security and nothing more.  In other words, politics, as usual.

It's definitely an "interesting" situation. I suppose the number of unwanted foreigners that slipped through for illicit June bookings might factor into it. If it's not that many then no biggie to just let them have it. If it's a significant number and they send them away it might be the makings of seriously bad international PR.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Yes exactly, and in regards to eliminating the spread it doesn't matter if they vaccinate a Thai or a foreigner, so Thailand does value the life of Thais more and gives them priority, imho a reasonable decision.

I don't think they changed their minds. Either it was simply a bug that allowed foreigners to register on the first day, or it was an oversight, and once they noticed that foreigners can register they added the verification to prevent this.

I'm still waiting for any explanation from you why foreigners can no longer register. There is just nothing that makes sense as an explanation to "Why is there now a verification in place which doesn't allow pink ID cards?", besides "Foreigners aren't supposed to register".

People continue to report being able to register.

Not many, but then it seems those willing to try nonstop for hours did so on Day 1.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

People have continued yesterday and today to successfully register with pink ID card n umber. Takes many, many tries, but people have done so.

So no indication anything has been disabled.

Given the pressure this app (or "platform" if you prefer) is under, its coders I think have far greater priorities in mind that the small number of foreigners who are registering.

15 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

There is nothing "illicit" about vaccination bookings people have made via the Mor Prom platform.

Sorry but I didn't mean that literally. 

Let's focus on the larger point.

Do you agree or disagree that the administrators of that online registration system INTENDED to allow non Thais to make vaccines June bookings or not?

I'm really not sure. 

Edited by Jingthing

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I assure you, the Thai version of MorProm was not developed with an eye towards foreigners one way or another. Last thing on anyone's mind. They are working on a second app for foreigners to use, but it has taken  a back seat to the Thai version, understandably (tens of millions of Thais vs far fewer non-Thais).

It is designed for use by Thais. It accepts foreigner pink ID numbers because these are in the same format and exist in the same database.  The designers likely never even considered the possibility that foreigners would wade through this all-Thai language app, make entries in Thai, etc. That does not  mean they are against the idea, either. Simply wasn't on anyone's mind. It was developed for a purpose, which was to enable Thais to register, and there is separate work going on to develop a similar platform  for use by foreigners.

No big plot, nothing disingenuous.

And when the foreigner app is released, whatever bugs it may have (and I'll be surprised if there are none), will also not be part of any sort of conspiracy.

Extremely unlikely that anyone involved in this undertaking cares one way or the other about "placating" foreigners, or what foreigners think or feel per se. They are just trying to support a vaccination effort which, to succeed, will have to reach both Thais and non-Thais eventually.

A refreshing breath of sanity.Every word rings true.

• Like 1

Sheryl, it sounds like you're highly confident that online bookings by non Thais for June will be honored. I would guess they'd be a small percentage of the total so why not honor them. But it might be a different story indeed politically charged if the percentage was quite high.

15 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Sheryl, it sounds like you're highly confident that online bookings by non Thais for June will be honored. I would guess they'd be a small percentage of the total so why not honor them. But it might be a different story indeed politically charged if the percentage was quite high.

I think any bookings will be honoured, as some people are still reporting being able to register..

In Chonburi There is still a specific Chonburi app running that continues to allow Pink card registrations. (it doesn't require the number from rear of card)

I know lots of people in Pattaya still registering every day.

If they really dont want foreigners turning up, they certainly have the ability to send a cancellation to anyone already booked.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I think any bookings will be honoured, as some people are still reporting being able to register..

In Chonburi There is still a specific Chonburi app running that continues to allow Pink card registrations. (it doesn't require the number from rear of card)

I know lots of people in Pattaya still registering every day.

If they really dont want foreigners turning up, they certainly have the ability to send a cancellation to anyone already booked.

Can you take a guess what percentage of these people are in Chonburi?

BTW, I just pressed the Chonburi Maw Prom app and see the following announcement:

New Version Variable !

Version 0.1.4 Update

I will give it another try.

I am not "confident". I expect like everything else it will play out differently at different hospitals.

Key factors will be:

- whether central level issues clear guidance to hospitals that they can vaccinate foreigners as well as thais

- how much vaccine s received initially and whether it is perceived as adequate to the demand. Local health offices/hospital management are going to be very concerned about the possibility of public outcry if they are not able to honor appointments due to lack of vaccine on hand, and by that I mean outcry from Thais. This will be more of an issue in places with large foreign populations. Obviously a handful of foreigners isn't going to matter, but hundreds might if supplies are very limited - as they may be.

But there is nothing "illicit" about the bookings, whether they get honored or not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just tried the new  version  0.1.4 Chonburi Maw Prom app. It fails as before on both my wife's and my 13 digit IDs, immediately when trying to open an new account.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:43 AM, digger70 said:

Why do you Need an  "app" ? Madam digger Rang the Hospital today and they asked for the 13 Digit Number in the Yellow Book ,  Booked in for 8/06/20  at 1 Pm 

8/06/20?

Is that June 8, or August 6 of last year?

Just kidding about the last year, but I am curious how quick you got scheduled in.  Which date format?

Edited by impulse

I have managed to get an appointment with my Pink ID card. Initially, I failed a number of times, but eventually I managed it. One needs to follow the following:

1. Name must be in Thai, not in English. If you you have '-' in your last name you must enter it. In other words first name, last name must be exactly the same as it is printed on your ID card.

2. Birth year must be according to Thai calendar year.

3. The number on back of the ID card must be entered as B 99999999 (notice <space> between B and the first number) NOT B99999999. However, if your prefix consists of two characters as in their example 'JT' then you don't need the <space>.

I hope this helps. Choc dee.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1