Which Juicer do you recommend?

33 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

We've already established they want a blender. Much better than a juicer anyway, take all the fibre out who thought that was a good idea

As I said. It depends on what you want.

I was well aware that you have established that he wants a blender. All I am saying is that there is a big difference in using a blender and a juicer,

Try it out on carrots and see which one gives a "smooth" juice. 

I have a Philips blender, from memory about 600 baht in PowerBuy. 4 speeds. Use it to make mango smoothies with yoghurt, or to puree pineapple for freezing.

Philips has a good reputation for reliable appliances.

I got into "juicing" several years ago.  If you are only going to do soft fruits, then inexpensive units sold in Tesco/BigC will usually do though how they handle the waste pulp is fairly important as is ease of clean-up.

For any kind of firm or hard fruit and vegetables such as beets, carrots, celery; wattage matters.  Anything sub 500Watts just wont cut it.

I went through several and settled on this Panasonic which will do just about anything.  Sufficiently powerful for hard items and very well made.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/panasonic-mj-dj01-i2002730240-s6438470474.html?exlaz=d_1:mm_150050845_51350205_2010350205::12:1498579383!58089999096!!!pla-294682000766!c!294682000766!6438470474!314495769&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvr6EBhDOARIsAPpqUPEstibbaf6ybKEk00r4RWJS6wlNseDN7wTAK7YlIXu__X0g5UMuqyAaAnK7EALw_wcB

After a year, I gave it up and sold my juicer.  The amount of time it takes to buy, prep, juice, and clean-up was just not worth it. 

The pulp does make make great compost if you have a garden but the garden better be big cause there is a LOT of waste.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

Trust me.....you’ll burn through those home blenders before you can even test the waters.  I could kill one (or two) in a single party.  But I was a poor Uni student at the time so of course, I couldn’t afford a commercial blender (but since I knew the “secret recipe”, I threw the best parties!)

Get a Waring.  It’ll look super plain....will either have one or two speeds.  3hp   It’ll cost about $1000 (yeah....30k Baht) but it will be worth it.

https://www.gofoodservice.com/guides/commercial-blender-buying-guide

Here’s how you should choose a blender:

• 1/2 HP for Lightweight use, about 50 servings a day
  • 1 - 1 1/2 HP for Medium use, around 75 servings a day
  • 2 HP for Medium to heavy-duty use, around 75 to 100 servings a day
  • 2 1/2 HP for Heavy duty use, going past 100 servings a day

1 HP is around 750 watts.

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

I’d still go for a 3hp Waring (made in the USA) vs an off brand made in China.  Could probably pick one up second hand for a fraction of the cost of a new one with all the restaurants going out of business these days.

Something like this would even work...

Hamilton Beach commercial blender.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/764302527846153/

I’m one of those guys who generally goes with the “buy once, cry once” mantra.  

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.” –Aldo Gucci.

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’d still go for a 3hp Waring (made in the USA) vs an off brand made in China.  Could probably pick one up second hand for a fraction of the cost of a new one with all the restaurants going out of business these days.

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

Seriously? It's a one man band business up in the sticks. How long do you think it would take to recoup 16,000 baht at 20 baht per smoothie?

One has to keep the project in mind. Sometimes cheap has to do. Start small and build on a stable foundation.

9 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Seriously? It's a one man band business up in the sticks. How long do you think it would take to recoup 16,000 baht at 20 baht per smoothie?

One has to keep the project in mind. Sometimes cheap has to do. Start small and build on a stable foundation.

Yes...seriously.  

I’m not exactly how far out into the sticks it is (if there is a Tesco) and I googled it and saw a population of 80,000+.

I believe in quality tools for whatever the job and instead of selling 20 baht smoothies, I would sell 30 baht smoothies with better ingredients to try to differentiate myself from all the other fruit/ice/corn syrup vendors.  I dunno....personally, if I was going to back my gf on a business venture I’d want to do a little better than a thousand baht donation.

Just now, Airalee said:

Yes...seriously.  

I’m not exactly how far out into the sticks it is (if there is a Tesco) and I googled it and saw a population of 80,000+.

I believe in quality tools for whatever the job and instead of selling 20 baht smoothies, I would sell 30 baht smoothies with better ingredients to try to differentiate myself from all the other fruit/ice/corn syrup vendors.  I dunno....personally, if I was going to back my gf on a business venture I’d want to do a little better than a thousand baht donation.

You believe......but it's not your business. She is best placed to see her customer base and also to know how much they will pay. 

Tha Bo: 13 villages with a population of 20,872.

I don't think the whole population will be walking past her spot.

So again, it doesn't matter what you imagine; it matters if a 16,000 baht investment is appropriate. If she will sell just ten smoothies per day, spending 16,000 baht on a blender would be idiocy.

8 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

You believe......but it's not your business. She is best placed to see her customer base and also to know how much they will pay. 

Tha Bo: 13 villages with a population of 20,872.

I don't think the whole population will be walking past her spot.

So again, it doesn't matter what you imagine; it matters if a 16,000 baht investment is appropriate. If she will sell just ten smoothies per day, spending 16,000 baht on a blender would be idiocy.

If she sells only 10 smoothies per day then I would reckon that her profit would only be ฿100 per day (if that).  Thus, she’d be better off working in the fields and it all becomes a moot point.  If she sells 100 smoothies per day and the blender burns out, she’ll be out of work for a week or two waiting for a new blender and lose out on ฿7-14,000 baht.  So...if I were going to give it a go, I would hope for the best and fork out the ฿15k for a quality blender. 

And FWIW, the original owner of what became Jamba Juice started out in a town of 30,000 (San Luis Obispo, CA).  If he had half-a$$ed it with cheap blenders, I doubt he would’ve parlayed it into a business that he was ultimately able to sell for over $200 million.

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

And FWIW, the original owner of what became Jamba Juice started out in a town of 30,000 (San Luis Obispo, CA).  If he had half-a$$ed it with cheap blenders, I doubt he would’ve parlayed it into a business that he was ultimately able to sell for over $200 million.

Please... this is not California. You are getting totally carried away. You also fail to take into account that the OP plans to buy two. You've made your point; now try to calm down. It's not your business. If it takes off and the cheap blenders are proving problematic, I am sure they will upgrade. I haven't seen any of the local smoothie shops with 16000 baht blenders. Are you saying that they could all be millionaires if they had American made blenders?

38 minutes ago, Eindhoven said:

Please... this is not California. You are getting totally carried away. You also fail to take into account that the OP plans to buy two. You've made your point; now try to calm down. It's not your business. If it takes off and the cheap blenders are proving problematic, I am sure they will upgrade. I haven't seen any of the local smoothie shops with 16000 baht blenders. Are you saying that they could all be millionaires if they had American made blenders?

I’m calm.  You don’t appear to be.  The bottom line is that it’s up to the OP to decide what to do, but he asked for opinions and I gave them.  I don’t know him nor do I know his girlfriend and perhaps even a ฿1,000 blender or any financial backing whatsoever in a business is little more than “casting pearls before swine”.  With that, I’ll bow out of this conversation.

8 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

If she will sell just ten smoothies per day.

I wanted to thank all contributors to my post.

I'm in a far better position now to decide what to do.

I personally wouldn't invest in any business without a business plan.

My friends last business venture (minus a plan) killed 50,000b.

I did my best to get my friend to think through things logically.

But the the connection was on an emotional level (I know you don't care).

Not to mention he inevitable "Cheap Charlie" retort.

I'm under no illusion.

I would say, even with cheap blenders this latest venture will be a loss.

The blow to the economy due to the pandemic ensures minimal money floating around for luxuries.

It seems locals mix business with "good luck".

They don't take the time to account for promotion, equipment, time, product, & wastage.

I'll aim for mid quality at a promotional price.

I doubt that the blender will get any if not no action.

I can then take it from there.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm not cheap, but if you added up all the wastage of hard earned loot over the years, it's now come to a head.

No business plan, no investment.

Thanks guys and gals.

Edited by rockyysdt
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, rockyysdt said:

I wanted to thank all contributors to my post.

I'm in a far better position now to decide what to do.

I personally wouldn't invest in any business without a business plan.

My friends last business venture (minus a plan) killed 50,000b.

I did my best to get my friend to think through things logically.

But the the connection was on an emotional level (I know you don't care).

Not to mention he inevitable "Cheap Charlie" retort.

I'm under no illusion.

I would say, even with cheap blenders this latest venture will be a loss.

The blow to the economy due to the pandemic ensures minimal money floating around for luxuries.

It seems locals mix business with "good luck".

They don't take the time to account for promotion, equipment, time, product, & wastage.

I'll aim for mid quality at a promotional price.

I doubt that the blender will get any if not no action.

I can then take it from there.

Don't get me wrong.

I'm not cheap, but if you added up all the wastage of hard earned loot over the years, it's now come to a head.

No business plan, no investment.

Thanks guys and gals.

save the thread and let us know how it goes

12 hours ago, Airalee said:

I’m calm.  You don’t appear to be.  The bottom line is that it’s up to the OP to decide what to do, but he asked for opinions and I gave them.  I don’t know him nor do I know his girlfriend and perhaps even a ฿1,000 blender or any financial backing whatsoever in a business is little more than “casting pearls before swine”.  With that, I’ll bow out of this conversation.

The bottom line is that it’s up to the OP to decide what to do, but he asked for opinions and I gave them.

Is exactly what I wrote in the first place. But then you started getting carried away with stories about Jamba Juice(whom I've not heard of anyway) and what you would do. Casting aspersions on the OP as if he were some sort of 'cheap Charlie'.

So I'm glad that you've had enough of that and have decided to bow out.