How do I explain COVID risk?

Lacessit

16 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd just tell her "you have a 0.15% of dying from COVID" and let her make the choice.

I don't know where you got that statistic from, it's 2-4% depending on age range in most countries.

1/ The risk of death from COVID is 2-4%, depending on age group.

Source?

2/ The risk of long-term health effects from COVID infection is about 30%

Source?

3/ The risk of death from vaccination is about 0.0006% according to European data.

Do you mean these new vaccines under emergency approval? 

4/ The Chinese and Russian governments are actively spreading misinformation about Western vaccines.

LOL

5/There are malign and deluded idiots everywhere who believe vaccines are the work of Satan, or an attempt to inject everyone with nanochips.

Maybe

If you believe all of the above you should listen to your gf more ????

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/28/60s-died-roads-last-year-no-underlying-conditions-coronavirus/

"More under 60s died on roads [IN THE UK] last year than those with no underlying conditions from coronavirus

Only six under 19s with no underlying conditions died from Covid-19 in England"

Edited by Britman Free
add detail
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Yes, for her own safety and the safety of her 89 yo father.

Finally, some people here its just about them and its clearly not, its about passing it on to the more vulnerable, being fit and healthy does not mean you should ignore the safety and advice given and also take the vaccine.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Britman Free said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/12/28/60s-died-roads-last-year-no-underlying-conditions-coronavirus/

"More under 60s died on roads [IN THE UK] last year than those with no underlying conditions from coronavirus

Only six under 19s with no underlying conditions died from Covid-19 in England"

Just goes to show just how many people with underlying conditions there are and how dangerous the virus is to them eh? I guess you must know a few people with asthma or cancer right, how about diabetes, heart disease, liver disease, overweight, pregnant women, the list just goes on.

Are you still amused?

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Confused 1

16 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

And at that point I'm afraid your logic breaks down. Because being vaccinated does not prevent anyone from contracting Covid, it only reduces the impact. So your vaccinated G/F could still catch Covid and pass it on to her father.

Its highly unlikely that would happen with a decent vaccine. Its about doing what you can to reduce risk, risk can never be eliminated 100%

6 minutes ago, covidiot said:

Ok, if you want to see it that way. Fair enough.

But don't be surprised when people around you are reticent to take the vaccine. And don't blame conspiracy folks. 

Agreed, thats a risk but a worthwhile one in my opinion, I'm all for education on science which includes the good and bad.