Are you happy with doing 90 day reports in Thailand?

WineOh

90 Day Reporting  

225 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

I was talking about doing a report in person. You never mentioned making a postal report.

I didn't know I had to notify you first?? 

Now I have an agent who takes care of everything for me... it is a pleasure. 

3 hours ago, moogradod said:

This may be Immigration Office specific. Here in Jomtien I had only to fill out the TM47 the very first time I ever did a report. After that I just needed to hand over the passport with the last TM30 and the last 90 day report slip in it.

Takes the officer less than 60 seconds to complete the process then and off I go with a new 90 day reminder stapled in. Peanuts to the square.

So if you dont fill in any form how do they know where you are residing ?

Just now, Spamhead said:

In Jomtien they only remove the report date which is stapled in your passport, and add a new one dated for the next report. No mention of where you reside.

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I didn't know I had to notify you first?? 

You don't, but it has a bearing on whether you fill out a form or not.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

You don't, but it has a bearing on whether you fill out a form or not.

people on this forum seem to have a tendency to assume that their situation, be it in visas, or finances,  or life in general is the same as everyone else.. I know you didn't mean anything by it... but leave me your number and I will call first next time... 

9 minutes ago, giddyup said:

In Jomtien they only remove the report date which is stapled in your passport, and add a new one dated for the next report. No mention of where you reside.

Exactly what I would have expected. So one has to  ask what exactly is the report for if not for you to confirm your address ? There is zero logic in it whatsoever. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Spamhead said:

@giddyuphas already commented the question you adressed to me.

Besides they know the adress from the TM30 in the passport and then I am in their database as well. Each 90 day receipt has a bar code which they scan in and which gives them obviously all the information they need.

Edited by moogradod

4 minutes ago, moogradod said:

@giddyuphas already commented the question you adressed to me.

Besides they know the adress from the TM30 in the passport and then I am in their database as well. Each 90 day receipt has a bar code which they scan in and which gives them obviously all the information they need.

Exactly. They have the information in their database already. So you 

doing another 90 day report makes not one iota of difference. Not having a go at you but they see you at immigration once a year for renewals if your situation changes then obviously you should inform them of those changes. If they really want you reporting your address every 90 days then you should either confirm electronically or via their form. Taking the previous form and simply copying the details as you say they do should not constitute your confirmation.

7 minutes ago, Spamhead said:

Exactly. They have the information in their database already. So you 

doing another 90 day report makes not one iota of difference. Not having a go at you but they see you at immigration once a year for renewals if your situation changes then obviously you should inform them of those changes. If they really want you reporting your address every 90 days then you should either confirm electronically or via their form. Taking the previous form and simply copying the details as you say they do should not constitute your confirmation.

You are right. But expressions like "they should" are totally meaningless. They want it that way and thats the way you do it. Any further discussion is irrelevant - especially if complying is so extremely easy. But even if it were complicated it would not matter either.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:08 AM, BritManToo said:

I always though it was a mistake in translation.

'Person from another star' (alien) and 'person from another country' (foreigner), only have an accent difference in Thai language.

foreigner = คนต่างด้าว Vs alien = คนต่างดาว

The Alien registration office  used to be near Southhampton Row, near Haymarket in London. It's was for foreigners  not beings from other planets.

I don't care to do it, but it is a silly thing. In no other country you will find this and it is of no use.. Only when you change your address you have to notify. But Ok In Thailand you get used to silly things

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ikke1959 said:

I don't care to do it, but it is a silly thing. In no other country you will find this and it is of no use.. Only when you change your address you have to notify. But Ok In Thailand you get used to silly things

You will find similar  systems all over the world...some more onerous...

I went to Maesai Imm. today for my visa ext.  No one else there , all sorted in about 20 mins.

My 90 day report was due in 2 weeks , they said no plobrem , stamped to go back for 90 day in August.  On leaving M/S there is a Makro shortly and this makes a change from my local Lotus. OK it would be better not to have to do the 90 day but it bothers me not.

No problem in fact I look forward to it!  Even if they get rid of it? I will still use it as an excuse just as I still using excuse to take a ride to Bangkok U.S. Embassy to get an income letter! My trips always are enjoyable and result in Happy ending!????

On 5/3/2021 at 9:02 AM, WineOh said:

I find it degenerates good willed foreigners and makes us feel like criminals under constant surveillance.

Like we are Aliens from another planet that need quarantining.

That'll be TM.30 that does that. 90 day reporting on the other hand is just pointless for everyone involved. I've been doing it for decades, just to let them know absolutely nothing has changed. Some might find it a minor inconvenience, but regardless, what's the damn point (rhetorical, there is no need to answer, I know it's pointless). What really sticks in my craw is being fined for forgetting to tell them that absolutely nothing has changed.

LOL! This is like starting a poll asking "are you happy with herpes?" ????

I have both subtypes, where can I vote?

That's like saying it's pleasurable to pay a stranger to do something pointless for you, like shaking a stick at the sky. I guess if you don't have the time or inclination to go shake a stick at the sky, you could indeed just pay someone to do that.

Strange country this, they allow criminals in government to run the place but you want people with maybe a minor infraction banned from entering the country full stop ? ????

I'm pretty sure foreigners in Thai prisons are exempted from 90 day reporting. Amazing Thailand right?

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Like 2

I really enjoyed going to immigration to do my first 90-day report and have also thoroughly enjoyed reading about the struggles others have had when trying to use the online system for 90-day reporting. I’m very much looking forward to doing my second report online, though I’ll be really disappointed if it works. Some of my other interests include: going to the endodontist for root canals and sticking a screwdriver in my ear. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Scott Tracy said:

I think we know where you stand on this.

I have clearly expressed my opinion on this topic

but just in case i repeat imo the

90 days reporting is totally useless

and have only 2 goals from the Thai point of view:

1\ to keep the foreign herd with the feeling to be under permanent control from the local immigration 

(Classic nationalist police state mindset)

2\ to make some money with the fines

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

There is a point and a purpose in going through root canal treatment. There is no point to sticking a screwdriver in your ear.

Whose fantasy is this, mine or yours? Are you telling me I can’t be a masochist?

• Haha 1

Been here too long to submit online per the people at CW, so have  been submitting by postal mail for many years without a glitch.  Each year, after I get my annual visa extension, I  prepare all the documents for the next four 90 day reports, and thus am completely ambivalent on the matter.

On 5/3/2021 at 9:02 AM, WineOh said:

This is pretty much where I stand too.

I find it degenerates good willed foreigners and makes us feel like criminals under constant surveillance.

Like we are Aliens from another planet that need quarantining.

Not a good impression really.

Really????????????????????????????????????????

I realize that it keeps Thai people employed, otherwise, I would think reporting every ninety days without an address change to be bureaucratic overreach. As far as visa renewals, it should be a simple matter of paying a set fee and getting stamped in for another year. They have no need to know the income of every intended long-stayer. Better yet, scrap the language requirement for permanent residency . after six continuous years of residing here. "Work" should be defined as any enterprise which takes money out of the Thai economy. not teaching English to Chinese students, online. The result of a Thai national teaching English to Chinese children, would be hilariics should such a practice ever become commonplace.

Edited by Nickelbeer
Clarity