Thailand reports new daily record of 31 virus deaths, 2,041 cases

webfact

24 minutes ago, worrab said:

A ninety plus British gentleman died in Hua Hin from Covid a few days ago.

Three foreigners died from Covid-19 back in April last year, 

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/2020/04/08/3-foreigners-die-from-covid-19-in-thailand-pushing-death-toll-to-30/

2 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

June feels to long to start vaccinations. Immunity takes a couple weeks even after you get the jab. Bkk is a major hub and you can't really keep this stuff out with travel controls unless you lockdown everything before it's a problem like Vietnam did. It starts circulating before you hear about cases and deaths.

I would get the vaccine as soon as possible and not wait until June.

As the situation deteriorates (and it will) those who have booked their vaccination,especially expats, are going to find that when the time actually comes they’re going to be disappointed ☹️ 

1 minute ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I believe this 3rd wave.

Not sure, I've only seen the one so far but thats pretty representative of the ratio of expats to Thai's. I wonder how many are in serious condition?

Last year there were more and they represented a higher ratio

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

I notice no more where Thailand sits globally on these dialy updates. Used to be everyday. Losing face cannot be reported. 

That's not correct. Those charts are posted here pretty much every day after the MoPH updates them every day...today included, earlier in this thread:

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1215798-thailand-reports-new-daily-record-of-31-virus-deaths-2041-cases/?do=findComment&comment=16439108

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

47 per cent of hotels could stay open for less than three months

A survey of the hotel industry found that 47 per cent of hotels have liquidity to keep their business afloat for less than three months.

The confidence index of hotel business operators in April 2021, published by the Bank of Thailand, surveyed 188 hotels nationwide from April 12-26. Of the hotels surveyed, 30 are alternative state quarantine (ASQ) facilities.

Fifty-six establishments reported more than a 20 per cent decline in liquidity compared to the previous month, due to the latest Covid-19 wave, while 47 per cent said their liquidity situation could keep their hotels open for less than three months.

(more)

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000488

Being that this is the main part of the plan, yu can be quite certain they will make sure these 47% due indeed go bankrupt. 

• Like 1

I don't get it.

Many friends overseas, also ask what Thailand is doing that contains the virus and reduces it?

And why the massive close down last year?

Wave one.

I don't know the answer.

I do know what started wave 3..

But that's another story.

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

Thailand’s Bangkok Metropolitan Administration and the Ministry of Public Health are racing against time to contain the spread of the Covid-19 virus in the Klong Toey slums, officials in both organizations said Monday.

These are the very people who live in close quarters, have little money and will certainly shy away from quarantine... watch the numbers rockets.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Ultimately the responsibility  lies with each and every  Thai  person not to have travelled  during Songkran, its  not  like they didnt  know.

100% correct. They are now reaping the reward for their stupidity. And I'll add any farangs who travelled inter-province unnecessarily to the stupid.

Edited by Keesters
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mung said:

Here in the UK we have the virus nailed down, or at least we do at the moment until a variant immune to the vaccine comes along. 
When you go to an outdoor restaurant or pub, you must hand in your name and your phone number. If anybody provides a positive COVID test who was there that day, every person will be alerted via SMS and will then need to get tested themselves. On top of that, all teachers and school children get tested every single week. My mother is a teacher and she has to do the tests on herself. We have a load of testkits here at home as a matter of fact.
Every test has a QR code on so you do the test and then scan it and post your results. This system as a whole is working so well coupled with mass vaccinating, and then you end up with the low figures we have, even though we are conducting millions of tests a day. 

Shame 125000 people had to die before the Uk got its s##t together. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

Stop waiting for Thai government to provide the best vaccines for COVID-19. Free best vaccines available in Alaska USA starting June 1, 2021

See story and links here

Fabulous idea. Just charter flights for all expats to Alaska for the first shot and back again for the second. Why did none of us think of that before

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I was asked how samples are generated, not the number of samples, which is known.

Yes indeed.  But from your own admission when quoting a positivity rate of less than 5% you actually don't know how the test sample was selected, where it was selected from and whether it is truly reflective of random at all.  That's not really a surprise because I'm sure very few people do.

It seems quite straight forward to grasp a concept that some more testing spread over a wider area would give a more robust confidence that things are under control.

A less than 5% positivity rate in Bangkok sheds no light whatsoever on how things are going elsewhere.

The quantity of testing in Thailand is meagre compared to almost everywhere else with a similar size population.  Why the Thai Government choose to do so little is a mystery.

The infection daily rate is not decreasing, and the death rate is increasing,, and yet this Government still hasn't started a mass vaccination program,             I understand they are waiting for the AZ produced in Thailand to start in June, but if that fails, what happens then.... 

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There were some interesting graphics in this morning's TH language update from the Ministry of Public Health. Most never get translated into EN, but for some like this one, you can get the idea (picture).

For some reason only updated thru Sunday (not today), it compares the national totals of new daily COVID cases represented by the blue line columns, with the daily new cases in Bangkok, represented by the red line.

The way it looks to me, while the national numbers have been rebounding in the past few days, Bangkok has been on a pretty steady downward trend for more than a week now, although Bangkok's numbers ticked back up some today (though not yet reflected on this chart).

Screenshot_26.jpg.e71c311a6256e996e7f630973fefb6c3.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/informationcovid19/photos/a.106455480972785/317929963158668/

Bangkok numbers will move upward with the Klong Toey cases unfortunately because it is a true cluster.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

The infection daily rate is not decreasing, and the death rate is increasing,, and yet this Government still hasn't started a mass vaccination program,             I understand they are waiting for the AZ produced in Thailand to start in June, but if that fails, what happens then.... 

Think India now

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Swimfan said:

Shame 125000 people had to die before the Uk got its s##t together. 

Indeed this is true. The question is why. Thailand had the same lax approach early on, if not worse. And yet the virus didn't take hold. I would assume it's due to ventilation. Most houses in Thailand have windows and doors open, many of them are open to the air always. February and March in the UK sees everybody shut up indoors with everything closed. 
Also it might be a genetic situation.. There is also a theory that SARS back in the early 2000s might have swept through Asia without causing many deaths. The original SARS virus gives immunity to COVID-19. Nobody really knows though, hopefully Thailand can get its act together with this new variant. Goodluck. 

Edited by Mung
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Mung said:

Indeed this is true. The question is why. Thailand had the same lax approach early on, if not worse. And yet the virus didn't take hold. I would assume it's due to ventilation. Most houses in Thailand have windows and doors open, many of them are open to the air always. February and March in the UK sees everybody shut up indoors with everything closed. 
Also it might be a genetic situation. There is a theory that SARS back in the early 2000s might have swept through Asia without causing many deaths. The original SARS virus gives immunity to COVID-19. Nobody really knows though, hopefully Thailand can get its act together with this new variant. Goodluck. 

Or maybe Thailand closed its borders and instituted quarantine for the get go. The UK had a great advantage in this regard being an island state like Australia and New Zealand. But sadly Boris kept the country open so everyone could still go to Magaluf, Ibiza and Benidorm bringing back more of virus with them. The Uk was nothing more than a Government failure to listen the the experts.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

What a dangerous statement to make!! Outrageous to suggest that, we all know and its documented everywhere thats just not true, while the first shot gives good immunity its certainly not 96.7%. Not even with 2 shots! 

I suppose at the end of the day it is simply a scientist reporting data, and I'm sure that in this tiny sample of 61 people there was indeed a 96.7% immunity rate, however it flies in the face of all other data and even Astra Zeneca's own findings. Still, it makes a good headline and it might encourage people to get the jab if they were concerned over its effectiveness.

• Like 1

Wow.... ????

Screenshot_7.jpg.f14bf64af3ecca0606ed91c064d51fd6.jpg

2nd field hospital for Khlong Toey COVID-19 patients is in the works

A second field hospital, to accommodate COVID-19 patients from Bangkok’s Khlong Toey slum area, is being planned, with an old building next to the Port Authority head office as the first choice of location. After conversion, the former warehouse would be able to accommodate 200 patients.

Being an old structure, however, the warehouse may not be suitable, due to the level of dust and poor ventilation, so Saphan Temple, in Phra Khanong district, adjacent to Khlong Toey, which can accommodate an additional 200 patients, is the backup location.

The first 200 bed community isolation facility in Khlong Toey district was opened there last Friday, to separate those infected with COVID-19 from others in their crowded community, before being transferred to hospital.

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/2nd-field-hospital-for-khlong-toey-covid-19-patients-is-in-the-works/

And from The Nation:

"The Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) reported on Sunday that 304 people residing in or near the Klong Toei slums had tested positive for Covid-19 in April.

“Of them, 193 are residents of the 12 slums in Klong Toei, while 111 patients reside in condominiums or apartments near these slums,” CCSA said.

And from NBTWorld:

"Densely populated communities are a big challenge for disease control. With some 75,000 households living in these communities, health officials are now ramping up their test capacity to cut down the transmission chain as quickly as possible.

Health and city officials have set a target to test 1,000 people per day from their mobile units in Khlong Toei. This target continue to expand to cover people from all Khlong Toei communities from now until 19 May.

The Governor of Bangkok Pol Gen Aswin Kwanmuang has requested additional vaccines for at-risk population and those with exposure risk in Khlong Toei, similarly to their previous containment approach at Bang Khae and Thong Lor."

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157991075162050

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Haha 1

Just goes to show never to under estimate Covid it knows no borders. Thailand and its neighbours now reported rising infections in India out of control. Vaccination must now be given top priority when vaccines available. Unfortunately have to accept lock down measures and that Tourism until at least 2022 now unlikely Domestic or Internatinal.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand (CAAT) had issued a new guideline recommending stricter COVID-19 control measures for all domestic flights, following the detection of new infections linked with seven recent flights to and from Phuket airport.

05-03-21i.jpg.84d55e4ded525dd3267952f04e311628.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/posts/10157991002692050

5 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Conflation? Really? Who do you think is handling or precisely mishandled i.e. let songkran happen and "whatever will be will be" other than the military government. To conflate means to merge two or more sets of information into one. Gov't, pandemic, songkran, rapid rise in numbers of infections, serious and critical patients, hospital bed shortages and deaths. Who is responsible? The Govt.

So, they also deserve credit for their handling of the previous 15 months then right ?