Koh Larn will close for 15 days after referendum - tourists must leave by tomorrow

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Naew Na

A public referendum was held at Wat Mai Samran on Koh Larn on Sunday in which 845 locals were given their chance to vote on keeping the island open or closing it due to the third wave of Covid-19.

They decided to close the island down from Wednesday 5th to 20th May. 

306 people voted for a complete closure for 15 days. 420 called for a 15 day closure to tourists. 94 wanted to stay open. The rest were abstensions. 

All tourists must vacate the island by tomorrow, May 4th. 

Locals will be able to come and go using a strict sticker system.

Vendors from the mainland like lottery sellers are prohibited and no one who is unauthorized will be able to travel on supply vessels. 

Two trips daily at 7am and 6pm each way will be allowed to and from the island and Pattaya, reported Naew Na

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Amdesign said:

This is second time already when they lock down themselves, and immediately kick out the 'tourists' (non-residents)... I mean if people already there, how they can force them to leave?? This is completely illegal and lawless.

I suggest this island should be ignored in the future. The inhabitants are greedy grabbers with no respect of the visitors.

But a healthy respect for not getting Covid it seems.

So your already there and could possibly have covid but now need to leave and the locals are still allowed to leave the island and return possibly catching covid.

Ok I get it. Makes perfect sense.

Thankfully they have a strict sticker system.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gunderhill said:

Death is  quite a high economic  penalty, on a bike with no  helmet, could always eat more pad krapao I  suppose, I mean if  it repels  covid sure it can repel 2  tons of pick up  ploughing into you.

Pad krapao can repel a 2 ton pick up truck to the same extent a helmet can.

If they don't want to allow anyone new to get IN, fine. What I don't get is why they want to kick OUT those tourists who are already there. Either they have Covid and the damage has already been done, or they don't have Covid so there's no risk. Island mentality?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Caldera said:

If they don't want to allow anyone new to get IN, fine. What I don't get is why they want to kick OUT those tourists who are already there. Either they have Covid and the damage has already been done, or they don't have Covid so there's no risk. Island mentality?

Perhaps because those  tourists are effectively of no economic advantage except for a relative minority and the exercise of a democratic vote has demonstrated the outcome. Island mentality?

If so then not so dis-similar to "national" mandate being arbitrarily made by Governments globally in contradiction of such democratic expectations.

For the poor self preservation retains a greater sense of priority than it does for the selfishness of the wealthy.

I personally predict the ructions and ramifications of this pandemic will impact on politics and society in the longer term in ways as yet unappreciated in effect.

In fact, regular speedboat traffic to Koh Larn causes massive pollution of Pattaya bay. Once Koh Larn is closed, one can see turtles, fish, dolphins in Pattaya bay again. So my proposal is: Pattaya gets dirty beaches due to Koh Larn, and Koh Larn benefits from this by having those tourists. Turn it into the benefit of Pattaya: ban traffic to Koh Larn forever, stay clean, keep tourists for clean Pattaya? ????  Let the islanders enjoy Covid-free self-isolation forever - those greedy mongers deserve it.

9 hours ago, Yknot said:

OK, but the islanders should not be allowed to come to Pattaya. Of course, for their own safety.

Is this some tit for tat pandemic response? If the infection level on the island became high I expect City Hall would react and prevent Islanders leaving, or proper testing of them as they did. 

Edited by jacko45k