Motorbikes everywhere, but can't seem to find many to buy.

JDJD

I've recently moved to Pattaya and am in need of a motorbike. 125-155cc. I have looked on the FaceBook forums and Marketplace, Craigslist, and BahtSold, with very little success. I have been asking everyone I see including security guards and taxi drivers. Do you have any advice on the right way to find one? Any advice on dealers or who to stay away from? Lastly, in America we have many options for finding a value for a used vehicle. NADA, KBB, you can even just check Autotrader listings to get an accurate value. Do they have anything like that for Thai bikes? What should I be paying for a 2017 NMAX with 30K km from a dealer? From a single owner? Renting anything for 1500-4000 a month seems loony if I plan to buy, but I suppose car rentals in the USA have about the same markup. Thanks for the advice. 

It was not initially clear that you are keen to have a used vehicle. New vehicles simply everywhere.

This is in Thai, second hand motorcycles in Pattaya:

https://www.facebook.com/pattayamotor

I would be surprised if locals can't name plenty of other sellers.

Don't expect them to be in South Pattaya/central.

More like the east side or around/on Sukhumvit or Naklua in this case.

Edited by KhunBENQ

1 hour ago, JDJD said:

and BahtSold, with very little success

How possible? Bahtsold has plenty of ads for used motorcycles, also in Pattaya, both by private owners and by dealers. Actually most ads on Bahtsold being inserted in English they focus especially on tourist hubs Bangkok/Pattaya/Phuket.

1 hour ago, JDJD said:

What should I be paying for a 2017 NMAX with 30K km from a dealer? From a single owner?

In Pattaya I would expect no less than 50,000 from a dealer, no less than 40,000 from a private.

Do not trust dealers too much, especially those who are renting too, as they might try to sell you a bike they have been renting out in the last 4 years to who knows how many customers. Dealers should offer at least 1 month guarantee. Some of them offer you to start by renting it, and if you are satisfied and decide to purchase, they will deduct the rent fee you already paid from the final price. Green book is always a must of course.

Kaidee is only in Thai and has lots of ads inserted generally by Thai people, both private owners and dealers. Kaidee has better search options compared to Bahtsold, but you need to manage Thai language. Bahtsold is better if you prefer to buy from a foreigner, but some Thai dealers are advertising there too, also from Pattaya (east side).

1 hour ago, JDJD said:

Kaidee looks good. Thank you. I can't seem to find the language switching feature. Maybe there isn't one. 

I don’t think you can switch it to English but it’s pretty easy to navigate by make and model.  You’ll get the hang of it quickly enough.

I agree it's strange in a city with tens of thousands of bikes there are very few places to buy second hand. Baht sold only has a handfull at any one time and craigslist virtually none. There seems to be no second hand market in p/x for new bikes. I wanted to exchange my pristine 1 year old aerox for a new bike at a dealer and was only offered silly money.

There is a second hand motorbike /scooter  dealer  that i have bought 2 bikes from, he speaks excellent english and most of his customers  are / were farangs, in my opinion a very trustworthy Thai man.... he has been in the same location for more than 20 years......He is not the easiest to find, but he is located  on Pattaya Third road, going North  about 100  meters before the  pattaya klang junction on the right hand side  on a corner....

11 minutes ago, actonion said:

There is a second hand motorbike /scooter  dealer  that i have bought 2 bikes from, he speaks excellent english and most of his customers  are / were farangs, in my opinion a very trustworthy Thai man.... he has been in the same location for more than 20 years......He is not the easiest to find, but he is located  on Pattaya Third road, going North  about 100  meters before the  pattaya klang junction on the right hand side  on a corner....

That put it pretty close to where Soi Sophon hits 3rd Rd???

• Like 1

As others said, Kaidee is the place to look. Don't be surprised of the high prices. Second hand vehicles in Thailand are ridiculously expensive.

Seems people rather keep their things than really making a trade. Or maybe selling to people that can't get a regular credit from banks/dealer.

If you have the opportunity I would look into buying new or take over a financed vehicle with good finance conditions.

On 5/3/2021 at 4:59 PM, Pilotman said:

I wouldn't bother with Bahtsold.  many sellers on there, for almost anything , seem to living in a dream world by the inflated prices that they are asking.  

I am very happy with the bike I bought off Baht Sold.

• Sad 1

Most Mityon dealer has lots of 2nd hand bikes park out front, there's also a used bike only branch like on the corner of Soi Wat Boon. They have their own finance and some are repossessed bikes with very low miles on them. Other dealers also buy bikes and sell for markups, if you don't have a bike and never ventured past Sukhumvit, you might not have seen it, as most of the place that sell 2nd hand bike caters to the local Thais living on the dark side

Beating the dealer markup, you can always go to the auctions, used to be at Thepprasit Night Market and Big C south Pattaya, is that still going on?

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

That put it pretty close to where Soi Sophon hits 3rd Rd???

Yes thank you, I could'nt remember the name of that small Soi, ....turn left onto 3rd road from Soi Sophon and he is located on the very next small soi on the left on a corner