Work permit and Teaching licence

29 minutes ago, ThLT said:

What happens to the work permit and waiver if you change school? (Is there a way to transfer to the new school?)

@Preacher

No.

Waiver is gone. Whatever time left on it disappears.

You need to get a new work permit for new school (and new waiver).

Edited by 2009

On 5/4/2021 at 12:32 PM, 2009 said:

You need to get a new work permit for new school (and new waiver).

I've read in different places that the work permit is transferable (with the former school's help), or something along those lines.

Work permits and licenses are recorded in online computer systems.

So while you may be able to survive without the original, you would at the very very least need a photocopy or id number.

If your employer fails to provide you with that minimum then it's probably because they haven't obtained them for you.

I have worked in many countries, not necessarily as an EFL teacher, and I have never experienced a situation where work permits are transferable: in my fairly extensive experience around the world work permits apply to specific employers. After all, it's the employer that applies for it on behalf of the employee.

17 hours ago, ThLT said:

I've read in different places that the work permit is transferable (with the former school's help), or something along those lines.

That is false information. What probably is meant is that you can go from WP to WP without the need of leaving the country if both schools cooperate so you can time your dismissal and new contract.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Preacher said:

That is false information. What probably is meant is that you can go from WP to WP without the need of leaving the country if both schools cooperate so you can time your dismissal and new contract.

It is possible to change employer in a work permit. It is a difficult process as timing has to be perfect but, it can be done.

Just now, puchooay said:

It is possible to change employer in a work permit. It is a difficult process as timing has to be perfect but, it can be done.

THe work permit for employer 1 will be canceled and at the same time you get a new workpermit for the new employer. That is something else than keeping the (same) work permit. You get a new WP with a new employer, new place of work and new job title.

• Like 1

Ah, that makes sense. Maybe I misread.

Not necessarily a "transfer," but as long as you don't need to leave the country to get a new WP, all good.

On 5/6/2021 at 6:50 AM, Preacher said:

THe work permit for employer 1 will be canceled and at the same time you get a new workpermit for the new employer. That is something else than keeping the (same) work permit. You get a new WP with a new employer, new place of work and new job title.

Incorrect. There are pages in the work permit where employer details can be changed, so long as the new employer is in the same province. Been there, done that.

All my six employers have had no issue with me holding my wp. I think if your employer demands it it's a red flag. Either they've hired numerous irresponsible people that have lost their wp or done runners. The latter begs the question.

It's really no big deal unless you need to quit your job post haste. Then you'd take your wp to MoL file the form and be severed.  The difficulty comes in unwinding a B visa or extension but that is all together another matter.

Unless you are in the middle of drunks and kiddie fiddlers or being wholesale ripped off its best just till wait until March and end of contract to move on.

On 5/6/2021 at 1:17 PM, ThLT said:

Ah, that makes sense. Maybe I misread.

Not necessarily a "transfer," but as long as you don't need to leave the country to get a new WP, all good.

Work permits cannot be transferred. In fact, the process is so assinine that the renewal paperwork is effectively the same as the first wp.

4 hours ago, puchooay said:

Incorrect. There are pages in the work permit where employer details can be changed, so long as the new employer is in the same province. Been there, done that.

I don't think this is correct. In rare circumstances additional employer/s might be added.

On 5/3/2021 at 6:51 PM, Johnnie99 said:

their own teaching licence?

This arrives at the school. This is your property no question. I can't imagine a school even trying to claim it.

Do you mean a waiver?

47 minutes ago, kynikoi said:

I don't think this is correct. In rare circumstances additional employer/s might be added.

Then you should let the MoL know. They clearly made a mistake when they did it for me.????

16 hours ago, puchooay said:

Changes can be made ( a company can move or get a different name, you can get another job with the same employer) and one can also add another employer (with permisison of the first employer). But otherwise a completely new job means a new work permit.

Not that they allways follow the rules. I myself had two employers within the same province and the labour office gave me another work permit instead of adding it to the first workpermit. But then again, the WP doesn't have pages to add another employer, only to make changes to the current employer.

Changes can be made ( a company can move or get a different name, you can get another job with the same employer) and one can also add another employer (with permisison of the first employer). But otherwise a completely new job means a new work permit.

Not that they allways follow the rules. I myself had two employers within the same province and the labour office gave me another work permit instead of adding it to the first workpermit. But then again, the WP doesn't have pages to add another employer, only to make changes to the current employer.

Like I said. Been there done that.

Also, did you not read the new work permit rules that were announced a while back?

The rules of work place, extra employment and differing job titles were relaxed.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 3:57 PM, ThLT said:

You can imagine that it's been "transferred" if you like. But either way—and without ever having done it—we all know that changes in your current booklet, or the issue of a new one, will feel much the same from your POV, on the day/s you attend the WP office.

The WP should be held at your place of work (have you sighted it ?)

I have never heard of anybody being charged for not having their WP on them!!

Your Non IM B will be stamped in your passport which I suggest keep a copy on you at all times when going out.

In the same Labour Dept area it is possible to change your WP over if the employment is of the same nature