Interest in moving out of Thailand takes Internet by storm

snoop1130

53 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

Things may have changed, but used to be that U.S. green card holders were supposed to notify immigration of permanent address changes.  I don't think my wife ever did and we changed residences about 5 times before she became a citizen. 

After my wife became a citizen, we sponsored two of her married siblings and their families to come here.  Their only chance was being relatives, not skilled workers or whatnot.  7 people in all, and one returned to Thailand (divorce).  The legal immigration process took 10 years, 5 to approve the application and 5 to wait for an available quota number.  We applied in about 2001 and they came in 2011.  I'm sure the wait times are longer now.

They have no intention of moving back.  They don't mind the cold, unless we get a real big snow storm..

image.png.e5e2b8290fc345ee18f83cbec497eca7.png

My wife never did notify immigration and renewing her green card was easy go online fill out a form get a letter when and what time to report get a photo and finger print get the new card in the mail 

33 minutes ago, Mike k said:

My wife never did notify immigration and renewing her green card was easy go online fill out a form get a letter when and what time to report get a photo and finger print get the new card in the mail 

Renew green card?  Never heard of that.  But my wife was naturalized over 20 years ago.

3 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think that is very true.

A little known fact, one which I had not truly appreciated is that the US has the largest Thai diaspora. From anecdotal experience in Thailand I thought it was the UK or Sweden, especially Sweden since it appears half of the male Swedish population seems to live in Thailand!

They used to say that LA is the second largest Thai city. I don't know if that is still true, what with decades of migration from the country to the city in Thailand, but I believed it back then.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caldera said:

Personally, I wished they'd use their energy to effect change here in Thailand instead of leaving.

Thailand for hundreds of years has been not much more than a playground for connected Sino Thais. Despite their very visible screams for their love of the country, what they really love is the pleasure and status is provides them. Not unlike the rabid China nationalists who buy up property and live in western countries. Same clan, in fact.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Not if they get a green card for the US.  No reporting ever and they have permanent residence as well, can buy property in their name and of course collect money from the Government if unemployed, even get a stimulus check....

Sounds fantastic, why doesn't everyone do it?

I'd like to see some numbers.   Was it 99% interest in USA or 1%?  Iceland at 99% or 0.1%?  Canada can't be above 2%.  lol.  Russia?

are they just wanting to experience snow?  did they forget about the democracy thing?

poor education and low wages..........that is a high hurdle and some bad luck.

Imagine when they see the fat bloke sleeping all day making 5,000 baht a day and still complaining.  

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:
12 hours ago, WineOh said:

will they have to do 90 day reports?

Not if they get a green card for the US.  No reporting ever and they have permanent residence as well, can buy property in their name and of course collect money from the Government if unemployed, even get a stimulus check....

...and pay taxes but can't vote either.

11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

...and pay taxes but can't vote either.

That is true but after 5 years they can become citizens if the good old USA ????????

Edited by ThailandRyan

11 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

And be subjected to ever rising taxes, wherever you are on the planet.

Sounds like a crappola deal to me.

11 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife wants to live in England later in life. But it seems her desire for it is more that she wants to walk in the snow than see anything  else

Yes my tgf says she loves the snow, but never seen it if course, or spent 5 months during winter freezing her <deleted> off.

2 minutes ago, scorecard said:
10 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

That is true but afterc5vyears they can become citizens if the good old USA ????????

And suffer severe discrimination...

That's called som-namnah no?