Interest in moving out of Thailand takes Internet by storm

snoop1130

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

United States, Canada, the United Kingdom, Germany, Austria, Norway, Sweden, Iceland, Russia, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Malaysia.

Most of them allow Thais to buy their own homes there.  (Thaksin had 3 in England + a Premier League football club!)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Most of them allow Thais to buy their own homes there.  (Thaksin had 3 in England + a Premier League football club!)

They are sure not coming back to Thailand anytime soon if they intend to work to buy their own home in the UK

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mikebell said:

If you had a home in the U.K., would you sell it to a Thai?

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

That may be your opinion and view, but I know a few who have gone to the US and will never return here.

Im willing to trade my slot here in the states with a thai...

their education level seems on par with the states nowadays...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Caldera said:
40 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Why not? I would sell it to whoever pays me the most.

Thanks but I was asking @mikebell

It's a frequent complaint from a certain demographic of the foreign community here about Thailand's house and land ownership restrictions versus what a Thai can expect in the UK.

AFAIK, a foreigner can own a house in Thailand and a Thai can own a house in the UK.

There's also the habit of frequently comparing a Thai citizen's 'rights' when they move to the UK with the 'rights' of a foreigner relocating to Thailand.

AFAIK, the paths to long-term domicile in Thailand are shorter, easier and less expensive than that of the Thai seeking to stay long-term in the UK.

(Queue the "90-day reporting makes me feel like a criminal" crowd).

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Yes, At double the market value based on it being a Thai person. :giggle:

Edited by Orinoco

11 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Apparently, nowadays you just have to walk into the United States from the Mexican side and Bob's your uncle. 

At some expense and much trouble, I tried twice to get my former Thai gf a mere tourist visa to the US, first time in Bangkok and then in Chiang Mai (in case there was just something wrong with Bangkok). Both times the interviewing IO rejected her, even tho she had various assets and several relatives here including adult child. I thought about taking her to Mexico, but not very seriously; then we broke up, too high maintenance, for the best.

13 hours ago, Caldera said:

Personally, I wished they'd use their energy to effect change here in Thailand instead of leaving.

Yep. The protesting thousands have had a real impact, haven't they. Started last July and nothing has changed. Nothing at all. And, deep down, they know their efforts are futile. Maybe some of them are among the 500,000+ who hate their government so much they want to leave.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm yet to find a single Thai who has emigrated to a Western country who ever wants to return.

Maybe that explains why Thai Air stopped flying to the US several years ago.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CLW said:

I guess many of them should think twice if they want to change their location from a tropical climate to any western country with a cold and dark winter.

Secondly, they might get the shock of their life that it ain't 50 Baht for a noodle soup from a non-existing street vendor or 250 Baht for a visit to a restaurant.

The roadside taco cart will provide tacos for a dollar or two

• Like 2

My wife knows several people who have left Thailand after marrying foreigners. Not one of them has wanted to return to live in Thailand. One said she would after her husband died. He did, about eight years ago, and she's still in Germany. My wife's sister went to Hungary shortly before the pandemic struck, where her recent Dutch husband has a house. The idea was to split her time between there and Thailand, where she has two sons. Because of the pandemic she has not returned and I doubt she ever will. I was told, not asked, when she left that her younger son, about 10 years old, was coming to stay with us while she was away. He is, of course, still with us. At least she sends a few thousand baht for his keep every month.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Dont forget the guys who own King Power bought Leicester City and I think the owners at Reading are Thai

It seems Thai's no longer own Reading

Reading FC: Thai owners to sell majority shares to Chinese brother and sister

12 hours ago, CLW said:

I guess many of them should think twice if they want to change their location from a tropical climate to any western country with a cold and dark winter.

Secondly, they might get the shock of their life that it ain't 50 Baht for a noodle soup from a non-existing street vendor or 250 Baht for a visit to a restaurant.

My wife has travelled in Europe with me and loved the cooler weather, and the snow and the change of seasons (and I don't mean the change from hot to hotter to wet). Plenty of Thais feel as uncomfortable as we do in high heat and humidity.

Secondly, they might also get the shock of their life that wages are 10x higher in Farangland.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife has travelled in Europe with me and loved the cooler weather, and the snow and the change of seasons (and I don't mean the change from hot to hotter to wet). Plenty of Thais feel as uncomfortable as we do in high heat and humidity.

Secondly, they might also get the shock of their life that wages are 10x higher in Farangland.

My wife lived with me in Germany for 15 years......the snow was always exciting (viewed from a warm lounge) and the changing seasons I do miss, but in the end she couldn't cope without Laos food everyday

• Like 2

13 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

My wife wants to live in England later in life. But it seems her desire for it is more that she wants to walk in the snow than see anything  else

My wife loved seeing the snow, until she realised how cold it was

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, djayz said:

Can't say I blame them, even though I know the west ain't all it's cracked up to be. 

Here, no matter how hard they try, the most never succeed in breaking the 20k/month salary threshold. Some of them, with emphasis on some, actually have a lot to offer but don't have the right family & friends to open doors for 'em. Sad to see talented people being kept under the thumb while less competent ones sit in the boss's chair. 

I know a chap that is stuck here from Myanmar . He is 18 yo , he reads and writes in Burmese , English and Thai.  We were sitting outside as my wife made some noodles for him and he could read some chinese on the side of the packet . If my PC gives me a prob . he comes to fix it. But now the Burmese family he is stuck with over the road are the opposite , so all day he is in their garden digging veg.  What a waste eh.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Caldera said:

Personally, I wished they'd use their energy to effect change here in Thailand instead of leaving.

Says the men who left his country instead of staying there changing things ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I think there is a fallacy that Thai's can't deal with cold and winter.

When me and Mrs G met we were both living in Singapore, and the monotonous weather, hot in the morning, thunderstorms in the afternoon, followed by steamy evenings 256 days a year can drive you crazy.

Thailand ain't that much different.

Most Thai's do indeed love the change in seasons, and in even the most northerly countries summers are hot and winters are cold, but you experience change.

• Like 2