Interest in moving out of Thailand takes Internet by storm

snoop1130

34 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

My wife lived with me in Germany for 15 years......the snow was always exciting (viewed from a warm lounge) and the changing seasons I do miss, but in the end she couldn't cope without Laos food everyday

Funnily enough I've always found Thai's very adaptive in finding food.

Now granted, I work for an airline so I fly for free. But every couple of weeks I am dispatched to Denver  with a huge empty suitcase and a cooler to bring back the 'supplies'.

The scary part is, my wife calls the Lao market ahead of time, they have everything ready for me and dammit, they even know me by name! lol

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

Now granted, I work for an airline so I fly for free. But every couple of weeks I am dispatched to Denver  with a huge empty suitcase and a cooler to bring back the 'supplies'.

The scary part is, my wife calls the Lao market ahead of time, they have everything ready for me and dammit, they even know me by name! lol

She now has the mobile numbers of all the street-food sellers on our soi.......she has just called to check who has what available......panicking because Khlong Toei markets might be closing down....555

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Why?  Do you think those traits don't exist in every other country mentioned?

Agreed, unlimited greed is ubiquitous.......superstition does tally with education to a degree.

13 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I'm yet to find a single Thai who has emigrated to a Western country who ever wants to return.

It'd be interesting to know how many were included in your survey or whether that is also unverifiable anecdotal 'evidence'.

14 hours ago, phantom51red said:

Maybe you could persuade her scotlands a better country and take up hiking then ????.

125963809_3960772487289316_3225326153599119136_n.jpg

My mate here in Thailand lived on the Scottish coast just north of Ullapool. His Thai wife stayed with him there and their story is that, the first time she saw snow there was in the evening, just before bedtime, so she ran outside and in her nightie and rolled in the settled snow ... but not for long! She still has happy memories of that experience.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trujillo said:

Apparently, nowadays you just have to walk into the United States from the Mexican side and Bob's your uncle. 

So he never got the wall built and the US tax payer paid for what was built (10%)......555

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Secondly, they might also get the shock of their life that wages are 10x higher in Farangland.

Certainly not without a proper and international recognized university degree unless you want to stock shelves or cleaning rooms.

Not forgetting the work mentality of most Thais. Work 10 minute, half hour on phone or sleeping.

12 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

I did it; though it was easier to walk into Mexico. Coming back, there was a horrendous queue. We managed to jump most of it. Not sure how it would have felt to not have the right passport though. Not that I want to know.

did the same with my family lines hundreds many hundreds going slow this was morning ..guy told us won't get in till  evening at least..but where there's a will especially accompanying dollers anything possible got thru less than 30 minutes  corruption at its best.. surprised Thais ain't thought of this  

So, people are upset that they can't change the government they don't like. But it is not easy task. Maybe they should start from something easier. What about keep accountable those who building terrible roads? Those who can't provide road  drainage during rain season and as a result we have perfect environment for dengue fever (wich death rate higher of COVID). Those who waisting tax money here and there. I never saw anyone tried to remove head of tessaban.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Caldera said:

Personally, I wished they'd use their energy to effect change here in Thailand instead of leaving.

Alas the ones who have led the way to change the way of Thailand are now either exiled or in prison and refused bail.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, a foreigner can own a house in Thailand

I tried the company route; the lawyers who set it up never tell you it is illegal & shareholders can go to jail.  It cost me millions to find this out.  How would you advise readers to own a house?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

It'd be interesting to know how many were included in your survey or whether that is also unverifiable anecdotal 'evidence'.

So, to quantify what I know.

In our own little circle here we have 27 Thai friends.

My wife has another 52 friends spread across North America & Europe.

In that, maybe not totally representative sample, not a single one would ever return to Thailand.

I would also add our Thai son, who now lives in the US, in his own words says 'Hell would freeze over before I would go back there'.

I'm not Thai, but still like the place as a vacation, but probably not full time as before.

But I'm not Thai, don't have any emotional  attachment to the place so aren't really qualified to say what Thai's feel when it comes to their homeland

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

My wife has travelled in Europe with me and loved the cooler weather, and the snow and the change of seasons (and I don't mean the change from hot to hotter to wet). Plenty of Thais feel as uncomfortable as we do in high heat and humidity.

Secondly, they might also get the shock of their life that wages are 10x higher in Farangland.

Keep your horses back.

10X higher wages? That's a minimum of 100,000Baht a month.

Not many countries where ppl earn that kind of money as min. wage.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GinBoy2 said:

At the till: How are you Khun ting tong?

1 hour ago, AlfHuy said:

At the till: How are you Khun ting tong?

At the checkout I'm the 'Holy <deleted> how much did she buy?"

As a Non Rev passenger I get two free 70lb bags,

I can't tell you how many times I have flirted with that limit!

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Many Thais aren't, either.  Funny how so many people assume that everyone in Thailand earns B300 a day.

Solly, forgot to mention that I got a pay rise of 3%.

Now, I earn 309Baht cash in hand, every day/tax free.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I tried the company route; the lawyers who set it up never tell you it is illegal & shareholders can go to jail.  It cost me millions to find this out.  How would you advise readers to own a house?

How did you end up losing millions if you don't mind saying?    You may be able to help others who are considering this option.

I know some people who are very comfortable with the company route.

5 minutes ago, Andy from Kent said:

How did you end up losing millions if you don't mind saying?    You may be able to help others who are considering this option.

I know some people who are very comfortable with the company route.

I think from prior posts he lost the whole kit and caboodle, house and land via. a court ruling, but then I may be confusing him with another who said the same thing when we were talking about 30/30/30 year leases on another OP.

Edited by ThailandRyan

over half a million followers in 2 days tells that the young are fed up with their politicians and "rich clique"......everything is possible and they should be encouraged.

In australia i still think it's possible to apply and get a student visa for the under 30's ,studying english and the visa allows them to work.Need money of course to start off so not everyone will be in a position to do this.The weather is good,the streets are clean,and there are always jobs.

12 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

She thought it was white sand.

Yep....novelty wore off very quickly........keen to go out first couple of times......but then much better viewed from inside.....still excited though.