Interest in moving out of Thailand takes Internet by storm

snoop1130

18 hours ago, impulse said:
On 5/4/2021 at 11:15 AM, Liverpool Lou said:

Many Thais aren't, either.  Funny how so many people assume that everyone in Thailand earns B300 a day.

Nobody believes they all make 300 baht a day ...

"Nobody believes they all make 300 baht a day ..."

Some posters here comment as though it is a fact, that was my point.

14 minutes ago, Surelynot said:
15 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Exactly, that's what I said in response to a poster who said foreigners cannot buy houses in Thailand.  He was wrong, foreigners can by houses in Thailand, as you also confirmed.    Not that dissimilar from buying a leasehold house in many other countries.

But you have no legal access to it?

Obviously you'd have legal access to your own house unless the land owner received an injunction denying you access but that's a very different thing.

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Just now, Liverpool Lou said:

Obviously you'd have legal access to your own house.

It was a serious question....I bought a new house in the UK......the front gate and front wall were set back a meter from the road, no pavement, but that one meter of land was not mine......so I had no legal access to the property. 

The sale stalled for three months whilst the lawyers milked me.........I ended up having to pay the Duchy of Cornwall £350 a year for access.

10 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

have you considered getting a life fleance?obviously not.a perfect example of the inability to even spell correctly,something of a faux pas .the total lack of an intellect expressed  in one brief sentence.

I wouldn't be too quick to criticise, I see about 4 mistakes in your reply without even looking at it in depth. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Pla ra, I believe.

It's really not even a P.  There are other letters in Thai for P.

It's an un-aspirated b.    some might try to say "bp"  but it's basically a b without air.    as the falang spells  baan....that's an aspirated b.  

• Haha 1

News flash! Facebook is only a website. Values come from families, and information comes from research. LOL!

"Think of the press (and the Internet) as a great keyboard that the government (and special interest groups) can play."

• Like 1

We are lucky, yes.

My Thai friend took a poorly paying hotel job at 300 baht a day.  And then the job became only paid for 15 days a month.  And then her daughter came to stay with her in a tiny room when her school closed.

Last night she did not eat so that her daughter could.

I am lucky I could take her to fill a shopping trolley today with food for the next week.  She would be happy to be deported to somewhere better.

29 minutes ago, greeneking said:

We are lucky, yes.

My Thai friend took a poorly paying hotel job at 300 baht a day.  And then the job became only paid for 15 days a month.  And then her daughter came to stay with her in a tiny room when her school closed.

I am lucky I could take her to fill a shopping trolley today with food for the next week.  She would be happy to be deported to somewhere better.

One of the condo maids asked if she could clean my room for 200 baht. I could tell that she really needed the cash. I guess that the 200 baht bought a lot of rice.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, daveAustin said:

Tell that to the thousands of HK that are piling in. It’s not fortress Britain, so much as having the choice of who you let in Britain. And what’s wrong with that? Aside from EU, practically every other country has that very basic choice.   

Not under jobama he's going to open the borders and let them all in ????

23 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

In over 40 years, we only know of 5 Thai people who moved back to Thailand from the U.S.. 

One of my wife's friends just left back to Thailand.  She has been back for all of 3 weeks and realizes she made a mistake already and is trying to come back to the States to work.  Didn't think that one through very well, straight up abandoned her job and repatriated via quarantine process.  Oops.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, Maha Sarakham said:

One of my wife's friends just left back to Thailand.  She has been back for all of 3 weeks and realizes she made a mistake already and is trying to come back to the States to work.  Didn't think that one through very well, straight up abandoned her job and repatriated via quarantine process.  Oops.

Well if she has PR or citizenship she can return to the US quite easily.  

4 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Well if she has PR or citizenship she can return to the US quite easily.  

She does have a green card already so she can return, yes.  However, her resume is effectively tarnished by job abandonment.  It just goes to show you that the grass is not always greener and that rose colored glasses are a powerful motivator, sometimes for the worse. 

Now I heard DES is trying to track everybody in the facebook group for stating their reason why they want to leave Thailand, especially if the reason implies one special person, that can't be mention in this website.

DES was also considering asking Facebook to shutdown the group.

So much for freedom of speech and democracy in Thailand

Edited by Banana7
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Pa-lar? is that how you spell it?.......The putrified fish I have to put up with?

Pla Raa is how I've spelled it.  The good stuff is chunky and isn't cooked.  Cooking would spoil the flavor of the liver flukes in it.  ????

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, kokesaat said:

As I was typing the above, I remembered 3 Thai families who emigrated to the US......worked long enough to stash some savings and qualify for social security and moved back to the Udon area.  The idea of working long enough to qualify for social security and living off that in Thailand is appealing......not just to some Thais, but some Americans as well.  

I can see that possibly happening with at least one of my wife's siblings that we sponsored.  But that would probably happen if the couple got very old and required a lot of assistance.  They might get by here with an extended family household, Social Security and Medicare.  My Mom is 92 and in rough shape.  She's in an assisted living facility & etc. to the tune of about $75,000 per year.  Fortunately she can afford that easily - Mom & Dad worked hard and invested wisely.  Not surprising as they came from very modest backgrounds and grew up during the Great Depression. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, greeneking said:

We are lucky, yes.

You are a wonderful person!

8 hours ago, rcuthbert said:

One of the condo maids asked if she could clean my room for 200 baht. I could tell that she really needed the cash. I guess that the 200 baht bought a lot of rice.

Good on ya

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Maha Sarakham said:

She does have a green card already so she can return, yes.  However, her resume is effectively tarnished by job abandonment.  It just goes to show you that the grass is not always greener and that rose colored glasses are a powerful motivator, sometimes for the worse. 

Do be careful of staying out side of the US too long on a permanent visa (green card).  That particular visa is not "permanent" if you are outside of the US for more than a certain period of time.  The US government can, and has, revoked permanent visas due to people spending too much time out of the US. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Do be careful of staying out side of the US too long on a permanent visa (green card).  That particular visa is not "permanent" if you are outside of the US for more than a certain period of time.  The US government can, and has, revoked permanent visas due to people spending too much time out of the US. 

It only takes one year and the case can be made that the holder has abandoned their green card status, especially if they didn't file a tax return........trust me, I know!

• Like 2

On 5/3/2021 at 8:11 PM, Caldera said:

Personally, I wished they'd use their energy to effect change here in Thailand instead of leaving.

Human nature, the grass is always greener.

Last year when people were dying in droves around the world, Thailand was very green.

When the death rate went from 1 a day to 2 a day that was 100% increase and a colour change began. The failure of AZ to deliver the vaccines that were due in February has certainly brought about a brown tinge.

• Like 1