50 Shades of Bangkok

Forgive the title, lol

Bangkok has 50 districts and each its own character and charm.

I thought I'd start a thread where we can share our info on the difference districts. 

What's  the feel of it like? Anything interesting there? Any hidden gems there (restaurants, parks etc etc), interesting sub-districts within them? 

• Thanks 2

Phasi Charoen

Charming area with canals, long boats, and rickety wooden houses on the canal banks.

Mostly a quiet district (as far as Bangkok goes) where you can chill and enjoy what is left of "old Bangkok"

Over by Pak Klong Phasi Charoen (the mouth of the canal), there are quite a few condo projects as the MRT and BTS change there, but looking around it doesn't feel like Bangkok.

Empty plots of land waiting for development, like overground fields (almost). I saw a cow in one of them. And looking around there is a lot of greenery (trees and many cocunut trees). Feels like you are looking out at a tropical village or coastal town with all the coconut trees. Kinda unexpected.

And there is a famous little chicken rice place there between President Sathorn-Ratchapruek 1 and the gas station. Closes at noon. Sells out fast.

And an absolutely fantastic massive Buddha statue (you can't miss it) and a very nice temple, Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen. You can get a good view of Bangkok from up there and a nice place to feed the fish and see the various animals they keep at the temple.

Edited by 2009
  • Thanks 1

Khlong San

One of the most modern districts of Bangkok, you can perfectly enjoy the views from your condo such as Banyan Tree Residences.

You have ICONSIAM nearby, and you can take a walk by the Chao Phraya river, or even take a boat through it. 

I just love living here, and the condo Banyan Tree it is perfect too.

• Like 2

Phra Nakorn

Home to Bangkok's Old Town where things REALLY haven't changed in a long time.

This is where Bangkok started, due to the importance of the Chao Praya River as a trade route.

Cheap street food and some of the cheapest markets in Bangkok.

The Grand Palace, famous temples, tour guide trails, some museums, and some of Thailand's oldest schools.

There is currently construction going on at the pier. I think they are making a walkway or something.

Also, Koh San Road is in this area, the backpacker area.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 2009 said:

Phasi Charoen

Charming area with canals, long boats, and rickety wooden houses on the canal banks.

Mostly a quiet district (as far as Bangkok goes) where you can chill and enjoy what is left of "old Bangkok"

Over by Pak Klong Phasi Charoen (the mouth of the canal), there are quite a few condo projects as the MRT and BTS change there, but looking around it doesn't feel like Bangkok.

Empty plots of land waiting for development, like overground fields (almost). I saw a cow in one of them. And looking around there is a lot of greenery (trees and many cocunut trees). Feels like you are looking out at a tropical village or coastal town with all the coconut trees. Kinda unexpected.

And there is a famous little chicken rice place there between President Sathorn-Ratchapruek 1 and the gas station. Closes at noon. Sells out fast.

And an absolutely fantastic massive Buddha statue (you can't miss it) and a very nice temple, Wat Paknam Phasi Charoen. You can get a good view of Bangkok from up there and a nice place to feed the fish and see the various animals they keep at the temple.

IMG_20201204_074446_1.jpg

IMG_20200912_141923.jpg

IMG_20200912_141901.jpg

14 hours ago, 2009 said:

Phasi Charoen

20200609_170601.jpg

20200609_170609.jpg

20200609_170742.jpg

20200609_172318.jpg

20200609_170703.jpg

20200609_172335.jpg

20200609_172352.jpg

20200609_172406.jpg

20200609_172425(0).jpg

20200609_172415.jpg

14 hours ago, 2009 said:

Bang Rak

Fancy riverside hotels, rooftop bars, and Jack's Bar - a little gem.

Not too mention, the infamous Patpong in Silom where you can drink in a few quirky, interesting watering holes that have been there 50 years, such as The Old Other Office and The Madrid.

Or have authentic French cuisine in Le Bouchon and an interesting chat with the French owner who is ever-sitting outside having a cigarette. And like in Europe, they just keep bringing baskets of bread (complimentary) throughout your meal.

Patpong of course has other things to offer, but these are my favs.

Beirut, on the main road, is an absolute must visit for healthy, Mediterranean food. Hummus is especially good, and the naans, and olive salad! 

IMG_20210227_144121.jpg

IMG_20210227_143325.jpg

IMG_20210227_143319.jpg

IMG_20210227_143006.jpg

IMG_20210227_142840.jpg

IMG_20210227_144041_1.jpg

IMG_20210105_114813.jpg

IMG_20210105_125533.jpg

IMG_20210105_123329.jpg

IMG_20210105_121320.jpg

IMG_20210105_114805.jpg

IMG_20210306_234428.jpg

IMG_20210306_234433.jpg

IMG_20210306_234308.jpg

IMG_20210227_151516.jpg

IMG_20210227_151656.jpg

IMG_20210227_151714.jpg

IMG_20210227_152158.jpg

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, warrima said:

W District is in Watthana. Likely much of what you talk about is in Klong Toei and Wattana. Phra Khanong district is Bang Chak / lower suk area

Thanks...I had no idea and now, looking at a map I see you are correct.  It’s strange however that the Phra Khanong BTS and also the two condos I have lived in (both in the Wattana area as denoted by the Google map) both use Phra Khanong in the mailing address.

Thailand sure is a confusing place.

C58C755C-4EEC-4A14-BF4D-C56B90C54BEA.jpeg

3 hours ago, Airalee said:

use Phra Khanong in the mailing address.

Likely Phra Khonong Nuea, Wattana - Phra Khanong Nuea being the sub district.

Phra khanong used to be a very large district stretching all the way to Bang Na. 

Ive personally always found it amusing that Klong Toei (my district) is famous for its slum - but is also home to Emporium. 

1 hour ago, warrima said:

Likely Phra Khonong Nuea, Wattana - Phra Khanong Nuea being the sub district.

Phra khanong used to be a very large district stretching all the way to Bang Na. 

Ive personally always found it amusing that Klong Toei (my district) is famous for its slum - but is also home to Emporium. 

I suppose I should delete my post and start a thread about what’s in Phra Khanong but not actually in Phra Khanong.  I do know one thing....I’ve never known a Thai that can read a map and every taxi driver that I tell to take me to Phra Khanong somehow gets me home.  ????

Not in Phra Khanong...

91850067-7A9E-479E-9244-315520B8DDF0.jpeg

6EFFCAFB-2152-4C71-A049-59B2C6D81645.jpeg

589084B5-A996-4965-A938-FD12A3505D6F.jpeg

A3ED15D5-6A11-44CB-82DF-61B547145F21.jpeg

Rattanakosin island+Bangkok Noi+Bangkok Yai

Definitely the coolest place to live in Bangkok.

I live in Charansanitwong by the new Bang yee kan MRT station.

Close to everything. Grand Palace, Wat Pra Chetupon (Wat PO), Chine town, Democracy monument, Central Pinklao, The river and canals, Khaosan, Home Pro, Decathlon, Food land, Macro, Chang Chui (the Airplane art market), Golden mountain (Wat Saket), Siriraj hospital, Mission hospital, Major cineplex Pinklao. The Sense. Royal barge museum. And much more. Not many tourists or farangs. a lots of fan. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 2:27 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sukhumit, the center of Bangkok

'nuff said

Sukhumvit.png.81f7e739b61d8eebace4aed35f157367.png

Agree 100.

If you're not living in Sukhumvit the center of Bangkok, then you're camping out.

'nuff said.

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2021 at 7:21 AM, 2009 said:

Phra Nakorn

Home to Bangkok's Old Town where things REALLY haven't changed in a long time.

This is where Bangkok started, due to the importance of the Chao Praya River as a trade route.

Cheap street food and some of the cheapest markets in Bangkok.

The Grand Palace, famous temples, tour guide trails, some museums, and some of Thailand's oldest schools.

There is currently construction going on at the pier. I think they are making a walkway or something.

Also, Koh San Road is in this area, the backpacker area.

I lived in this area for many years back in the 90's.  Wife's family has lived here since WW2.  It's a fun area to be in.  A lot of small markets all through the area.  

On 5/3/2021 at 8:35 PM, expatjustice said:

Khlong San

One of the most modern districts of Bangkok, you can perfectly enjoy the views from your condo such as Banyan Tree Residences.

You have ICONSIAM nearby, and you can take a walk by the Chao Phraya river, or even take a boat through it. 

I just love living here, and the condo Banyan Tree it is perfect too.

Deleted

Edited by smutcakes
Incorrect