Health Insurance Requirements When Returning on a Re-entry Permit

I am planning to visit the UK and will obtain a re-entry permit on my retirement extension (off an original Non-Imm 'O' visa).

Apart from the hoops to jump through re Covid, what are the insurance requirements, if any.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Concur with UJ.

Under the current requirements to enter Thailand during the pandemic, if entering on a new Non O Visa based on retirement, or on a re-entry permit on a retirement extension, the 400/40K Health Insurance is required for the duration of stay granted on entry.

For entry from a new Non O Visa based on retirement, that would be for 90 days.

For an existing extension based on retirement, it would be until the expiry date of the extension.

If entering on a new Non O Visa based on marriage, or a re-entry permit on a marriage extension, then the 400/40K Health Insurance requirement does not apply.

All entries require the 100,000USD Covid Insurance.

How does someone located abroad (in the U.S.) buy the required insurance and pay for it in advance? How much will it cost someone 60+ years old? I bought mine here in Thailand where I livel 

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Basha said:

How does someone located abroad (in the U.S.) buy the required insurance and pay for it in advance? How much will it cost someone 60+ years old? I bought mine here in Thailand where I livel 

It can be purchased from one the companies listed here. https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

Or it could be obtained in a person's home country if it meets the minimum requirements.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You will need the 40/400k baht medical insurance valid to the day your current extension ends to get a certificate of entry. You will also need the $1000,000 covid 19 insurance valid for the same amount of time.

See number 7 here. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

I advise  the o p  to email  their home embassy Direct  because  throughout  out the  Covid crisis the info  released  in Thailand  and even  appearing   on embassy  web sites  differs  from the reality  and requirements  on the ground  in one's home country. After reading in the Phuket press that all this b******* about needing 2 types of Thai insurance had been Revived I actually checked this in March by email direct to the London Embassy. they replied saying that Thai insurance was not essential and that UK insurance would suffice as before. Also it need only cover the duration of your stay and not the whole remaining period of your extension. I would post a copy of the email here but my laptop recently packed up  and I don't know how to copy and paste on my phone yet...lol. sorry

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That is correct.

When coming back to Thailand with a re-entry permit, is this insurance requirement (40/400k) for those of us with a retirement extension based on a non-imm O visa a permanent change or will it hopefully go away at some point in time when Thailand opens up for tourism?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, statman78 said:

When coming back to Thailand with a re-entry permit, is this insurance requirement (40/400k) for those of us with a retirement extension based on a non-imm O visa a permanent change or will it hopefully go away at some point in time when Thailand opens up for tourism?

It will go away when the requirement for a certificate of entry goes away.

• Like 2

Just now, ubonjoe said:

It will go away when the requirement for a certificate of entry goes away.

Thanks for the quick reply!  I’m not planning to travel outside of Thailand until COE and quarantine requirements are dropped.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jimn said:

@hotandsticky I am afraid @ubonjoeand @Tanoshiare wrong on this one. See my Reply to UJ

All I will say is that you need to look at the embassy website for the latest info.

This page states the following. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

image.png.900d644dbc9a567d518809fe12e0eff2.png

12 hours ago, jimn said:

Only the $100k Covid is required from the UK with existing retirement extension and re entry permit.

Those who have recently returned with a re-entry permit on an extension of stay based on retirement may beg to differ with you. The COE will be refused without proof of 400/40K Health Insurance.

37 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Those who have recently returned with a re-entry permit on an extension of stay based on retirement may beg to differ with you. The COE will be refused without proof of 400/40K Health Insurance.

Not from the UK I am afraid.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

All I will say is that you need to look at the embassy website for the latest info.

This page states the following. https://london.thaiembassy.org/en/publicservice/requirements-for-foreigners-travelling-to-thailand-during-covid-19-tra?page=5d6636cd15e39c3bd00072dd&menu=5f4b6eb3f6ae4b236972c562

image.png.900d644dbc9a567d518809fe12e0eff2.png

All I will say is to refer to the same link and read the section I posted. Which reads

"Required documents for the Certificate if Entry (apart from visa and re entry permit)."

What this means is that the required documents are for a COE unless you have an existing Non O visa and a re entry permit. I have had this confirmed by Kun Wichaya in the London Embassy. The list only applies to new Non O Retirement. I must state this is only the UK as other embassy's are interpreting it as you stated.

568034299_Screenshot_20210505-093345_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.95f0a52b3576bfc61d8933cbd440066f.jpg

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jimn said:

Not from the UK I am afraid.

Yes, from the UK.

I have seen email correspondence from the Thai Embassy London confirming this fact, without going into the personal experience of a friend.

7 minutes ago, jimn said:

All I will say is to refer to the same link and read the section I posted. Which reads

"Required documents for the Certificate if Entry (apart from visa and re entry permit)."

Work, business, marriage, no mention of exemption returning based on retirement.

6 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

Work, business, marriage, no mention of exemption returning based on retirement.

Obviously you cant read. Item 7 on the link refers to Non O visa based on retirement. Then you refer to the statement.

"Required documents for the Certificate if Entry (apart from visa and re entry permit)."

I am 100% sure about this as I have done it myself sorry. When they originally allowed Non O retirement extension with a re entry they did require the 40/400 insurance. This was soon dropped.

Edited by jimn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/5/2021 at 3:41 AM, Tanoshi said:

Yes, from the UK.

I have seen email correspondence from the Thai Embassy London confirming this fact, without going into the personal experience of a friend.

Sorry I could not post this before but my laptop gave up the ghost recently. This is the email I previously referred to from the London Thai embassy replying specifically on this matter:

Thai Embassy London [email protected]Hide
To ...............

Dear Mr.

Thank you for your email.
Regarding your enquiry on the insurance requirement, 
1) It can be just for the duration of your trip in Thailand. 
2) UK insurance policy is acceptable as long as meet requirement. 
3) It costs £60 

I hope this is of assistance, but please do let us know if you have any further questions.

Warmest regards,
The Visa Team

-----

Once in Thailand, if you need urgent help call the British Embassy Bangkok +66 (0) 2 305 8333. You can also contact the Samaritans Thailand, if you prefer, on 02-713-6791.

On 03/03/2021 05:40 ........wrote:

I would very much appreciate your help please. 
If I apply for a COE with an Non-O Visa retirement extention with a re-entry permit from Thailand, what is the insurance requirement please? Will it be until the extension renewal is due in Thailand,or can it be just for the duration of my trip which will be about 6 months and not one year.
Also will one UK insurance policy with cover exceeding the $100,000, 400,000thb in and 40,000thb out patient Covid19 requirement be acceptable to you please?
Also, what is the cost of an STV please as I cannot see it listed on your website.
Kob Khun Krap,

Kind regards........................"

Tanoshi..... I have discussed and argued with you on other threads about insurance where you have also made unsubstantiated claims. You also made false accusations about my 1st hand knowledge and my and my friend's reputable UK insurer; Nationwide Building Society. Also, in so many words, you called my friend who had obtained an OA visa and  COE with UK insurance covering only 180 days a liar.  I also asked you if you were selling Thai insurance yourself but you never replied. You seem to have a vested interest in defending and promoting Thai insurance companies, but in doing so you are seriously misleading those who believe your posts on this forum. 

I also repeat that the OP and anyone else wishing to resolve this matter, as the rules and their interpretation do change, should politely email the UK Thai embassy direct as I did and will do again before I return to Thailand in the Autumn, hopefully, with a re-entry permit and UK insurance. Their email:   [email protected]
  • Like 1

@SunsetT

Firstly, I have absolutely no vested interest with any Insurance company.

Thanks for posting your question and reply from the Thai Embassy, however there are two separate Insurance requirements, which you bundle into one in your question, therefore the reply does not cover specifics.

1. Covid Insurance, for 100,000$ which is required by all entering Thailand.

2. The 400/40K Health Insurance requirement, only required in certain instances.

Regarding re-entry on an existing extension with a re-entry permit and obtaining the COE.

Your letter and reply from the Embassy suggests that both the Covid and Health Insurance are required for the COE (of which I've seen similar correspondence), however there are reports from others who have returned to Thailand stating the 400/40K Health Insurance was not required for the COE. There appears to be conflicting information from the Embassy concerning this method of entry.

12 hours ago, SunsetT said:

Also, in so many words, you called my friend who had obtained an OA visa and  COE with UK insurance covering only 180 days a liar.  

Both types of Insurance must cover the permitted stay granted on entry to Thailand.

The Non Imm O-A Visa is valid for 1 year and each entry permits a stay of 1 year and it certainly does require both the Covid and Health Insurance requirements.

Unless you provided proof of Insurance to cover the full 12 months granted on entry, the Embassy would not even issue the Visa.  Either you or your friends report is incorrect.

A 6 month Nationwide travel Insurance policy simply wouldn't meet the requirements for a Non Imm O-A Visa.

Regarding foreign Health Insurance policies, whilst the Embassy may well accept a foreign policy to issue a Visa and obtain the COE, once in Thailand, Thai Immigration will not accept such foreign policies for extension purposes and will only accept Health Insurance policies from one of the approved tgia Insurance providers. Home - Health Insurance for Long Stay Visa in Thailand (tgia.org)

Regarding foreign Covid Insurance policies, the issue is that many of these policies start on the entry date to Thailand and have a 14 day exclusion of submitting a claim, meaning your are not covered whilst in quarantine. Reports of foreigners already falling foul of that small print and having to pay their own hospitalisation costs.

With the Thai approved and recommended Covid Insurance policies, the cover starts from the day of entry. Home - Covid 19 Insurance (tgia.org)

There are many separate topics on the above information and those who are in the know will confirm the above information.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 2