Article from the Thai Embassy website on "digital nomads". Comments, anyone??

First thing important to note is this site isn't the official site

of the Thai embassy, it's a private company using this name

(I know it's a little weird for this company to use this name

as it can be missleading for a lot of people, but i think the main goal was to be at the top of the results when someone does a request online searching by name)

Edit: Impulse and Poet have already beat me to it lol

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

I didn't read carefully enough. It was sent by a friend who has lived here many years, so I tend to trust the  source. I quickly sent him an e-mail noting that unless the website has "th. or "dot gov" in the URL, then it does not represent anything official.

• Like 1

It used to be when you ran into expats during travels in Thailand, most of the characters you'd run into claimed they were "Digital Nomads" or "Internet Entrepreneurs" ...these days it seems the bulk of them are claiming to be "Crypto Traders"......What's next ? 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, tonray said:

these days it seems the bulk of them are claiming to be "Crypto Traders"

Anyone you met, over the past year or so, who was involved in crypto is now almost certainly rich enough that they no longer need to work.

I am only tangentially involved, crypto is just were I put my savings, but my net worth increased by more than 100x. Frankly, it makes a mockery of my actual business ????

31 minutes ago, Poet said:

Anyone you met, over the past year or so, who was involved in crypto is now almost certainly rich enough that they no longer need to work.

I am only tangentially involved, crypto is just were I put my savings, but my net worth increased by more than 100x. Frankly, it makes a mockery of my actual business ????

Then why are they staying in the same 600 baht per night hovel that I'm at ? ha ha ha ha. Some mar be but the majority are blowing smoke.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, tonray said:

Then why are they staying in the same 600 baht per night hovel that I'm at ? ha ha ha ha. Some mar be but the majority are blowing smoke.

Because we know that every dollar we spend now could be ten dollars by the end of the year.

For the first time in my life I have crazy money but I am spending like a pauper ????

• Haha 2

The article is essentially accurate, and laws are so old or outdated they don't specifically allow or disallow it.  This sentence in the conclusion sums things up well:

"The reason why the authorities have so far allowed this is because there was no main concern. Thai jobs or Thai security were not threatened. There were no problems or nobody reported it. This position of tolerance may change in the future, if there are problems or if Thai law is adjusted."

The scenarios are woefully incomplete and laughable.

Falling back on the foregener working in the family noodle shop is laughable, and essentially filler.

I freelance from thailand, all my clients are us, uk, aus, canada or europe and uae/ksr.

I would say there are many here like me doing work unrelated to thailand and in no way in competition with a thai.

1 hour ago, n00dle said:

The scenarios are woefully incomplete and laughable.

Falling back on the foregener working in the family noodle shop is laughable, and essentially filler.

I freelance from thailand, all my clients are us, uk, aus, canada or europe and uae/ksr.

I would say there are many here like me doing work unrelated to thailand and in no way in competition with a thai.

Where do you declare your income and pay your taxes then?