COVID-19 situation in Thailand is nearing critical point – Dr. Prasit Wattanapha

webfact

8 hours ago, Dialemco said:

every effort should be made to expedite vaccine roll out for entire country. Forget about Tourism International or Domestic until at least 70% vaccinated unfortunately this means not before 2022 earliest 

You haven't received the memo... In the UK, they're working on the... third injection.

The "booster".

They will start, as usual, with old/fragile people in september.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9408595/Britains-vaccine-rollout-expand-70s-Covid-19-booster-jabs-September.html

Why ?

The infamous mutants. ????

So, the idea that when we will manage to give the vaccine to 70 % of the population... then everything will be over... is rather childish.

That's not part of the plan.

Sorry.

Moreover... this idea of multiple vaccination (1 or 2 times per year) has been clearly stated by :

-several gvts

-Pfizer CEO

-Johnson&Johnson CEO (read here)

-and several "experts"...

On the gvt side, they already work on it :

-Israel made a deal with Pfizer... for vaccine procurement until the end of 2022 (source)

-the EU is working on the procurement of 1,8 billion new doses of... "vaccines of 2nd generation"... for 2022 and 2023 (source)

Edited by cclub75
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Really?  Grab, Line-man, Food Panda, or call the restaurant order pay and it arrives  in no time flat, well most of the time in 30 minutes or so.

Was not the discussion here about ordering food from Tesco, Big C, Tops and so on? That is what i referred to when I asked what app because when ordering from them there is no certain "app" where you can pay tip to the driver.

12 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Another idiot telling people to wear their masks at home.

Does he not know the scientific evidence, or rather the lack of it, concerning masks?

OK, just send me one link to a scientific study which shows masks work for viruses.

I can post many scientific studies showing they do not.

Please post them!

Edited by candide
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Does he not know the scientific evidence, or rather the lack of it, concerning masks?

OK, just send me one link to a scientific study which shows masks work for viruses.

CDC: Use Masks to Slow the Spread of COVID-19

let me guess, you don’t think Covid exists, nobody died from it, vaccines don’t work, what else have your internet friends lied to you about?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Another idiot telling people to wear their masks at home.

Here's a systematic review of 172 studies: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31142-9/fulltext

Face mask use could result in a large reduction in risk of infection (n=2647; aOR 0·15, 95% CI 0·07 to 0·34, RD −14·3%, −15·9 to −10·7; low certainty), with stronger associations with N95 or similar respirators compared with disposable surgical masks or similar (eg, reusable 12–16-layer cotton masks; pinteraction=0·090; posterior probability >95%, low certainty)

And here's another systematic review of 21 studies: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7253999/

This study adds additional evidence of the enhanced protective value of masks, we stress that the use masks serve as an adjunctive method regarding the COVID-19 outbreak.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This approach is the worst. Keeping the epidemic alive for years to come while nowhere near enough of vaccines. That is why Brazil and India basically let it rip because no realistic ways to lockdown and vaccinate hundreds of millions of people without one big total economic and political collapse. 

30 minutes ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

So at the very least, there is no definitive evidence that masks work for viruses.

By the same token, no definitive evidence they don't, but a broad consensus that they can help.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, JackSalesman said:

This approach is the worst. Keeping the epidemic alive for years to come while nowhere near enough of vaccines. That is why Brazil and India basically let it rip because no realistic ways to lockdown and vaccinate hundreds of millions of people without one big total economic and political collapse. 

You're making it sound like India and Brazil made some kind of conscious, pandemic management decision to play their coronavirus hands that way... Maybe nutjob Brazil did, but India certainly did not...

"Infections have surged in India since February in a disastrous turn blamed on more contagious variants of the virus as well as government decisions to allow massive crowds to gather for Hindu religious festivals and political rallies before state elections."

Stupidity and ignorance of basic public health principles in a pandemic are what charted India's recent course.

"Dr. Ashish Jha, dean of Brown University’s School of Public Health in the U.S., said he is concerned that Indian policymakers he has been in contact with believe things will improve in the next few days.

Jha said the focus needs to be on “classic” public health measures: targeted shutdowns, more testing, universal mask-wearing and avoiding large gatherings. “That is what’s going to break the back of this surge,” he said."

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/international/2021/05/04/horrible-weeks-ahead-as-indias-virus-catastrophe-worsens/

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, JackSalesman said:

“Let it rip” is certainly the fastest way to achieve economic and political collapse.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, cclub75 said:

You haven't received the memo... In the UK, they're working on the... third injection.

The "booster".

They will start, as usual, with old/fragile people in september.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9408595/Britains-vaccine-rollout-expand-70s-Covid-19-booster-jabs-September.html

Why ?

The infamous mutants. ????

So, the idea that when we will manage to give the vaccine to 70 % of the population... then everything will be over... is rather childish.

That's not part of the plan.

Sorry.

Moreover... this idea of multiple vaccination (1 or 2 times per year) has been clearly stated by :

-several gvts

-Pfizer CEO

-Johnson&Johnson CEO (read here)

-and several "experts"...

On the gvt side, they already work on it :

-Israel made a deal with Pfizer... for vaccine procurement until the end of 2022 (source)

-the EU is working on the procurement of 1,8 billion new doses of... "vaccines of 2nd generation"... for 2022 and 2023 (source)

If this is the case, and the virus continues to mutate, anti-Vaxxers will disappear from the planet.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

If this is the case, and the virus continues to mutate, anti-Vaxxers will disappear from the planet.

Oh dear.....what a shame ????

7 hours ago, Raphael Hythlodaeus said:

Jacobs, J. L. et al. (2009) “Use of surgical face masks to reduce the incidence of the common cold among health care workers in Japan: A randomized controlled trial,” American Journal of Infection Control, Volume 37, Issue 5, 417 – 419. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19216002

N95-masked health-care workers (HCW) were significantly more likely to experience headaches. Face mask use in HCW was not demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds.

Cowling, B. et al. (2010) “Face masks to prevent transmission of influenza virus: A systematic review,” Epidemiology and Infection, 138(4), 449-456. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/epidemiology-and-infection/article/face-masks-to-prevent-transmission-of-influenza-virus-a-systematic- review/64D368496EBDE0AFCC6639CCC9D8BC05

None of the studies reviewed showed a benefit from wearing a mask, in either HCW or community members in households (H). See summary Tables 1 and 2 therein.

bin-Reza et al. (2012) “The use of masks and respirators to prevent transmission of influenza: a systematic review of the scientific evidence,” Influenza and Other Respiratory Viruses 6(4), 257–267. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/j.1750-2659.2011.00307.x

“There were 17 eligible studies. … None of the studies established a conclusive relationship between mask/respirator use and protection against influenza infection.”

Smith, J.D. et al. (2016) “Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks in protecting health care workers from acute respiratory infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis,” CMAJ Mar 2016 https://www.cmaj.ca/content/188/8/567

“We identified six clinical studies … . In the meta-analysis of the clinical studies, we found no significant difference between N95 respirators and surgical masks in associated risk of (a) laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection, (b) influenza-like illness, or (c) reported work-place absenteeism.”

Offeddu, V. et al. (2017) “Effectiveness of Masks and Respirators Against Respiratory Infections in Healthcare Workers: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis,” Clinical Infectious Diseases, Volume 65, Issue 11, 1 December 2017, Pages 1934–1942, https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/65/11/1934/4068747

“Self-reported assessment of clinical outcomes was prone to bias. Evidence of a protective effect of masks or respirators against verified respiratory infection (VRI) was not statistically significant”; as per Fig. 2c therein:

mask

Radonovich, L.J. et al. (2019) “N95 Respirators vs Medical Masks for Preventing Influenza Among Health Care Personnel: A Randomized Clinical Trial,” JAMA. 2019; 322(9): 824–833. https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2749214

“Among 2862 randomized participants, 2371 completed the study and accounted for 5180 HCW-seasons. … Among outpatient health care personnel, N95 respirators vs medical masks as worn by participants in this trial resulted in no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza.”

Long, Y. et al. (2020) “Effectiveness of N95 respirators versus surgical masks against influenza: A systematic review and meta-analysis,” J Evid Based Med. 2020; 1- 9. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/epdf/10.1111/jebm.12381

“A total of six RCTs involving 9,171 participants were included. There were no statistically significant differences in preventing laboratory-confirmed influenza, laboratory-confirmed respiratory viral infections, laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection, and influenza-like illness using N95 respirators and surgical masks. Meta-analysis indicated a protective effect of N95 respirators against laboratory-confirmed bacterial colonization (RR = 0.58, 95% CI 0.43-0.78). The use of N95 respirators compared with surgical masks is not associated with a lower risk of laboratory-confirmed influenza.”

There's big difference between masks don't work (your claim), and there is no definitive evidence they work (from the meta-analysis I read, because of surveys have been poorly designed, I.e. no control group included.).....

• Thanks 1

Maybe since Thailand likes to be the hub of things, it will be the new hub of the Clusters.  These clusters

should keep Thailand in the state of semi lock down for quite a lot longer.  It is a good thing that some

Thais still wear their masks for the protection from pollution, as well as the COVID virus.  The expats on this 

forum seem to forget that in Bangkok at least, there are days when the pollution alone is a good reason for

mask wearing.  Good luck with you vaccines, and hope that Thailand can get everyone done by the end of this year.

I guess it will take another year or so to get the younger part of the population vaccinated.

Geezer

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, jeanrem said:

seriously ?.... saving what exactly.. I can tell you are doing the exact opposite... never heard about the Hong Kong Flu... Have a look, in 69... it ended in 3 months...  1 million death in 3 months in the world... no lockdown... and it disappeared forever... have a look for yourself... I am not lying...

You really need to do some research before you post. I realize people such as yourselves feel better when you rile up others.

However facts always prove many conspiracy theorists wrong.

I was alive during this period. It did affect and kill many people. It returned a year later and killed more people. AND it is still present today in the form of influenza.

History will be unable to show how many millions of people may still be alive today if they had been issued masks and quarantined.

But your point is taken. Dead people don't count, nor can they express their opinion. Most, I think, would prefer to have been in a lock down versus being dead. I am not 100% sure of this, just my guess.

9 hours ago, rct99q said:

You really need to do some research before you post. I realize people such as yourselves feel better when you rile up others.

However facts always prove many conspiracy theorists wrong.

I was alive during this period. It did affect and kill many people. It returned a year later and killed more people. AND it is still present today in the form of influenza.

History will be unable to show how many millions of people may still be alive today if they had been issued masks and quarantined.

But your point is taken. Dead people don't count, nor can they express their opinion. Most, I think, would prefer to have been in a lock down versus being dead. I am not 100% sure of this, just my guess.

I am not trolling here. Just saying that we don't even know this time either if acting like in 69 would not have saved more lives. Do you also agree ?
My dad was also alive and I spoke to people who were in their 20 when it happened. 

Clearly medias and social network are playing a big roles nowadays... this is what they told me... also there were Vietnam's war... so TV had something else to talk about... instead of a pandemic... not agreeing with you doesn't mean I am a conspirator...

Edited by jeanrem