'Worth it': American expat in Thailand travels to Guam for vaccine, vacation

webfact

He doesn't look too old and seems in reasonably good health...seems a bit extreme for someone living in Thailand, where cases have been so low (and he'd likely be eligible for the free vaccine in a few months), but I'll give him points for being creative in going about getting what he wanted.

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Poet said:

Yes, practically zero risk for anyone under 70 and in reasonable health, but the article mentions that he takes international business trips. Getting vaccinated through the US system means he will be eligible for whatever vaccine passport system the Americans come up with, and that will help him to skip quarantines all over the world.

Maybe...though there has been nothing concrete about "vaccine passports" and if/which countries will accept them. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Maybe...though there has been nothing concrete about "vaccine passports" and if/which countries will accept them. 

Plans are far advanced in most Western countries because they will absolutely need them for international travel. The only remaining argument is over whether they will be used within each country for events, public transport, restaurants, pubs etc.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Why an idiot?  He's a businessman who needs the jab so he can do his job.  And he's going to Dubai for business shortly after he's out of quarantine.  Makes sense especially when he's got no idea when he'll get a jab here.

Guam's a lovely place to be.  And when he comes back, maybe the Phuket sandbox will be setup?

So if he's going to Dubai why do Thailand quarantine and he could have got the jab in the UAE, one of the most highly vaccinated places in the World?

Btw, I've been to Guam and loved it, so no negativity there just wondering why its news...

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

How much is the flight ticket to Guam from Thailand? What about the 14 days hotel quarantine fees?

He must be rich.

It actually takes 6 hours flight, 12 hours to and fro.

Not something that average people would do.

Edited by EricTh
  • Like 2

If it were easier to come back to Thailand I would do the same. I came very close to returning to the continental US but decided the risk of staying here vs the cost of the whole trip didn't merit leaving. So for now I am back to waiting for Godot in Thailand. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ventenio said:

The average expat in Thailand worries about currency fluctuations and is on a fixed income.

why would anyone worry about currency fluctuation? if you on a fixed income, you should know that Thailand is on currency manipulation list and baht was in a very tight range for last 15 years

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

why would anyone worry about currency fluctuation? if you on a fixed income, you should know that Thailand is on currency manipulation list and baht was in a very tight range for last 15 years

Obviously you don't worry about currency exchange. For the rest of us, this is the A$ over last 10 years

33 baht to 18 is not a tight range

20210504_170042.jpg

Edited by aussiexpat
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Many people are considering doing this.  And many have already done it.  I know of several people who've got back to the US specifically to get a vaccine.  Plus, you can visit family and friends, etc.

It kinda made sense when they announced the Phuket quarantine bubble.  You could quarantine for 7 days if you had a jab, and be able to roam around your resort.  Not stuck inside a room for 14 days.

Guam is a great place to visit.  Beautiful beaches, great scuba diving, a lot to do.  Hmmm...I might consider this, especially since there's no clarity as to when we can get a jab here.  Seems to be a constantly moving target.

I just booked Japan Airlines RT $800 dollars  SWEET...and Changeable ticket also 

• Like 2