Thai Visa Forum

Do You Think the LPGA Tour Needs to Ban the Mask Worn by Hyo Joo Kim?

pgw-2021-hsbc-wwc-rd4-hyo-joo-kim-drive.jpeg

Korean professional and Rolex ranked No 9 Hyo Joo Kim carded a bogey-free 64 in the final round of the 2021 HSBC Women’s World Championship to claim a one-stroke victory. 

It was her first LPGA Tour win since 2016 and she heads to Thailand with US$240,000 in the bank.

Yet, instead of talking about her great performance on Sunday – where the 25-year old Korean made four birdies in five holes (TWICE!), many were commenting on her mask.

With wrap-around sunglasses and a face mask/neck gaiter, Kim’s entire head was covered. Some joked that she looked like a beekeeper, while others chose a Star Wars character. 

But the most common reaction – by far – was that she appeared freaky and it belonged nowhere near tour golf – LPGA or PGA.

Should the LPGA immediately ban these types of masks before they become more common on tour. And not because they look weird and creepy (which they do) but based on an unfair competitive advantage.

Kim, who wears the face mask to cover her “neck” from getting sunburned, was asked if she gained any advantage by covering up.

“I think it might be helpful because with my sunglasses and mask on, no one can really see my face expression,” said Kim through an interpreter.

“But that wasn’t my intention.”

Of course, masks are compulsory off the golf course, but it would be unfair to ask all players to wear them on the course, especially when the temperatures in Singapore were so high.

Kim said she wears it because she has a skin allergy when out in the sun. So, we expect her to arrive at the Siam Country Club’s Old Course in the same mask.

What do you think the LPGA tour should do?

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Interesting question, i did think while watching the final round that anyone could be playing as her, at one point i thought it might even be a man.

Can't ban but maybe ridicule would work

You're quite right. With the face covered anyone could have been substituted by a man!

These helmeted gridiron players in the ladies comp could be really be men! 

ladies.jpg.b86d052e3b1919198cc74bdbfc3d07ab.jpg

• Haha 1

No way it should be banned, but I have a more important question. Why are the girls coming from Singapore to Thailand to play without going into quarantine? have they jumped through all the hoops other foreigners have to, to enter the country?  I very much doubt it. So how did they mange to avoid that?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, topt said:

Agreed. Not irregular apparel for Korean (and some Thai) golfers here in Thailand. Not sure why the question is even being asked.

Totally agree... Not sure why it was asked, unless someone was upset because she did so well. Jealousy Maybe and just trying to get something started!

Just be thankful she had the presence of Mind "TO" wear one! I would give her 50 extra points for being aware of the Health issues at large now and respecting "Everyone" at the course and the Officials... "God Bless her"!!

• Like 1

One can verify if the sun is really the problem if this was the case she would have been wearing it before Covid.

Even if she was vaccinated it would up to her whether she wants to wear it or not.  Not sure why she had to give an excuse " the sun "  if attired is the concern then find the rule that would ban the mask or overkill?  Golf wearing a mask if isn't like it would cut breathing it isn't like running?🤔

Do You Think the LPGA Tour Needs to Ban the Mask Worn by Hyo Joo Kim?

It doesn't matter What type of mask she is wearing. It's about Covid 19 Not what people are wearing .

If the mask she is wearing is of Right Quality So be it ,and people should shut Up.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Old Croc said:

You're quite right. With the face covered anyone could have been substituted by a man!

These helmeted gridiron players in the ladies comp could be really be men! 

ladies.jpg.b86d052e3b1919198cc74bdbfc3d07ab.jpg

To be honest, even if the individuals in that picture took off their clothes, but kept on their knickers, it would be difficult to distinguish their gender.

5 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Most Caddies in SE Asia are covered head to toe.... Does covered in long pants and long sleeve keep you cool..

Of course it keeps you cool.

It works as an insulation, it prevents the sun from penetrating your skin, and heating up your body temperature.

Thick clothes work similar way in cold and heat.

7 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

No way it should be banned, but I have a more important question. Why are the girls coming from Singapore to Thailand to play without going into quarantine? have they jumped through all the hoops other foreigners have to, to enter the country?  I very much doubt it. So how did they mange to avoid that?

I believe they are coming over on chartered flights.

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

If you came on a chartered flight you would be quarantined, not let loose on a Golf course.

All a big joke now.

No biggie.  They're doing a golf quarantine, available to anyone with the dosh.

9 hours ago, Susco said:

To be honest, even if the individuals in that picture took off their clothes, but kept on their knickers, it would be difficult to distinguish their gender.

what a load of clap trap.