Wife said if I don't give up golf she will burn the house down

On 5/4/2021 at 3:37 PM, Lacessit said:

It's very common to find people who call golf silly are abjectly incompetent when invited to try it.

How many people excel at a sport (using the term loosely for golf) the first time they try it?

Did you ever try baton twirling? 

Why not? Not interested and think it silly? You owe it to yourself to try; you could be a natural but odds are you would look abjectly incompetent. 

Personally I've never attempted either 'sport'. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RocketDog said:

How many people excel at a sport (using the term loosely for golf) the first time they try it?

Did you ever try baton twirling? 

Why not? Not interested and think it silly? You owe it to yourself to try; you could be a natural but odds are you would look abjectly incompetent. 

Personally I've never attempted either 'sport'. 

Why would I try baton twirling? I thought that was done by girls with nice legs and very short skirts, the sight of me attempting that would frighten small children and grown adults alike.

Particularly if I wore the uniform.

I certainly did not excel when I started golf, took me 18 months to get to single figures. Slow learner. Never thought of it as silly at any stage.

People who think golf is silly don't understand the combination of athleticism, skill and mental application required to become a champion. They also don't understand golf is the only form of exercise recommended by doctors for cardiac patients, or that it is a sport that can be played by all ages. The number of 70 yo golfers would be far greater than tennis or badminton players.

Golf is a metaphor for life, that's why it's the best game ever invented.

4 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why would I try baton twirling?

It used to be the function of the biggest bruiser you could find.......his objective was to clear away for the following entourage by lashing out with a big stick.......it has been refined somewhat since the early days.

• Like 1

Be honest with her just tell her straight; it's your only escapism and quality tranquility time to get relief from her consistent nagging and moaning about things.   

But hide your golf clubs before you approach her ......  5555

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I certainly did not excel when I started golf, took me 18 months to get to single figures. Slow learner. Never thought of it as silly at any stage.

OK, that was my point. Your post made a comment on first time players performing badly. Very few people do well the first time they learn new motor skills and have not developed the engrams.

I agree that you (and I ) would not look good in short skirts. However, you may not be aware that there are male baton artists, and there are martial art skills that are very similar.

You lost me on golf being metaphor for life. I'm guessing that an enthusiast for any sport, or other endeavor for that matter, would make the same claim. My only experience with golf is being hit by a golf ball when walking on a sidewalk next to a gold course. After that I stayed away from them.

On 5/6/2021 at 4:48 PM, RocketDog said:

OK, that was my point. Your post made a comment on first time players performing badly. Very few people do well the first time they learn new motor skills and have not developed the engrams.

I agree that you (and I ) would not look good in short skirts. However, you may not be aware that there are male baton artists, and there are martial art skills that are very similar.

You lost me on golf being metaphor for life. I'm guessing that an enthusiast for any sport, or other endeavor for that matter, would make the same claim. My only experience with golf is being hit by a golf ball when walking on a sidewalk next to a gold course. After that I stayed away from them.

Golf is a metaphor for life because it teaches patience in adversity, and adaptability in changing conditions. It involves handling pressure, and conquering fears. Losing one's temper in golf is usually fruitless.

Sports like tennis may have similar challenges, except it's an opponent and the ball is moving.

In golf, there's only a small ball sitting in whatever lie you have put it in.

Golf is also a test of character, as all its rules are based on the premise of personal honesty. Trump cheats at golf, so it's not hard to guess how he will behave in real life.

I've been hit by a golf ball too, I agree it's not a pleasant experience.

On 5/4/2021 at 10:15 AM, clivebaxter said:

TV has an obsession with this silly game, there are 8 sections on it!

Thank you for that information,i just checked.

I was hoping for a "beautiful golf caddies Thailand" section but that is not there,

so i will not be interested in golf.

I have a mate who was experiencing a constant argument with his wife about golf. Got to the point that it occupied all his thoughts so much so as he was motoring along the river road he missed a turn and the car plunged into the water . Luckily he is in quite good shape and was able to get the clubs out of the boot and swim to the river bank with them . The car totally submerged and by the time he went back for his wife it was too late .

• Haha 2

It is probably not the golf at all.

The OP goes out with mates, which she may not have , for a good time.

She bemoans the money he spends which should be given to her.

He returns home smelling of a different soap.

I don't understand the constant thinking though. Unless it is about how far from the ball should I really stand or is 38mm really the correct height for the ball off the T (club height less 1/2 D of the ball) or is a 7 Iron really OK for 150 yards or are orange balls really easier to spot or...

Edited by VocalNeal

On 5/4/2021 at 10:05 AM, Lacessit said:

Get another wife, fairly easy here.

i don't know...... I'm finding it much harder nowadays to find one that will wash my balls