Resurface cylinder head

My Honda CRV just blown the cylinder head. I just removed it from engine and need to take it for repair.

Any suggestion of a shop in Chiang Mai?

thanks 

08CCFF78-66D5-485F-BCFE-A80E48A09EC5.jpeg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What you mean by blown, ? how did it blow, ?  as said clean it up and install a new head gasket.

Wasn't he only asking about where he could get it skimmed?  Perhaps he decided that he wants to have it resurfaced?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

Yes! Take the right leg of the moat road heading South, at the corner veer left as though heading towards night bazar road. After about 50/100 feet ish, on the left, is an engine machine shop that is highly regarded.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

What you mean by blown, ? how did it blow, ?  as said clean it up and install a new head gasket.

Why would you not bother to have it resurfaced,given it’s a simple job?

58 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

I had a coolant leak and it was leaking through the head gasket.  The engine is fine and does not lose compression. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

It is only a simple job if you have the appropriate equipment, that has been well maintained and that will be operated by qualified personnel. If any any of those are lacking it turns into a goat-f.  

I could do it but I prefer the machine do it correctly

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I think need to resurface. I am cleaning valves and Pistons, it’s a old CRV 2G (2005)... old car. Better the machine can do the job correctly.

4FA5DA69-0088-44DB-84C1-BE939547A193.jpeg

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

So you only need to resurface it? Was the gasket blown or other parts damaged? Sorry, but can't help with your enquiry. Just curious. How old is the car?

It’s looks ok. No more damage, just the gasket

11 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

I had a coolant leak and it was leaking through the head gasket.  The engine is fine and does not lose compression. 

EF7ED133-D836-4891-AFA3-25D7D91EDB04.jpeg

0141C1A7-DAC0-46F8-B92A-2A816AFB4D21.jpeg

1 hour ago, Brierley said:

Yes! Take the right leg of the moat road heading South, at the corner veer left as though heading towards night bazar road. After about 50/100 feet ish, on the left, is an engine machine shop that is highly regarded.

Thanks ???? ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I was talking about the the shop doing it. It is only a simple job if the shop that skims your head has the appropriate equipment, has maintained it well and has qualified personnel to operate it.

Check your head with a decent straight-edge. I may be wrong, but if you can't see light through where your leak was, skimming the head makes little sense.

Aha! Saw a very small and thin light ????

23 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

I could do it but I prefer the machine do it correctly

Machine it if the gasket blew .. ali' head's are prone to distortion and depressions in the metal particularly in the area where the gasket blew .. a 005 thou skim should be enough to assess before and if necessary taking another run to true everything up ..

Edited by Justgrazing
Sp
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Why would you replace the air compressor ?

Or the radiator if not leaking ?

The air conditioner was beginning to fail ... I take the opportunity that the car is open to change, not only the head gasket and resurfacing,  also filters, rings, rubbers, condenser, sensors, coolant pipe, water pump, spark plugs. Anyway, absolute cleanliness and ... new car!

Edited by Tarteso

35 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

The air conditioner was beginning to fail ... I take the opportunity that the car is open to change, not only the head gasket and resurfacing,  also filters, rings, rubbers, condenser, sensors, coolant pipe, water pump, spark plugs. Anyway, absolute cleanliness and ... new car!

I had a 2004 civic 2.0 (is yours a 2.0 or 2.4?). My head gasket had a minor and they just removed the head and put in a new gasket. Not sure if it was resurfaced or not. That can had about 250K kms on it at the time. The air cond compressors were a known problem with the crv/civic of this era. They may be able to repair the compressor. Or you can replace it for about 15K I think. Avoid the dealer for any work of this nature. My o2 sensor was iffy too. I replaced that with the genuine part - 10K. Just heelp your fluids regulary changed and it should be good. (gearbox is good for abotu 300K according to my honda mechanic). I never had a problem with mine. Never blew smoke either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

I had a 2004 civic 2.0 (is yours a 2.0 or 2.4?). My head gasket had a minor and they just removed the head and put in a new gasket. Not sure if it was resurfaced or not. That can had about 250K kms on it at the time. The air cond compressors were a known problem with the crv/civic of this era. They may be able to repair the compressor. Or you can replace it for about 15K I think. Avoid the dealer for any work of this nature. My o2 sensor was iffy too. I replaced that with the genuine part - 10K. Just heelp your fluids regulary changed and it should be good. (gearbox is good for abotu 300K according to my honda mechanic). I never had a problem with mine. Never blew smoke either. 

Agree, I heard CRV, Civic and Acura have same problem being old. Mine is 2.0. (200.000kms) In a good maintenance. New Air compressor is original and, of course, avoid  to replace with Chineses things or leave the car in those disorganized mechanics shops wish only learnt to scam and lose bolts.. this is my experience for years.

About head gasket, I was been watching some video about resurface myself, look easy job but at the end last week Honda CM checked the car with a Budget of Bht100.000.-.. No way. I’m not a mechanic, but love to learn, have enough tools and time to do the easy job but, I Prefer leave the block engine to resurface at the right place, it’s a matter of tenths millimeters..

3 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I was talking about the the shop doing it. It is only a simple job if the shop that skims your head has the appropriate equipment, has maintained it well and has qualified personnel to operate it.

Check your head with a decent straight-edge. I may be wrong, but if you can't see light through where your leak was, skimming the head makes little sense.

Get that Head skimmed over so you know that it is completely  flat and has a good Gasket seal surface.

The very act of removing the Head has probably cased a small amount of twist or warp, and it may well not be flat any more

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Tarteso said:

If you are getting new rings fitted you should hone the bores becuase the chances of the rings not bedding in a very high if you do not.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tarteso said:

Agree, I heard CRV, Civic and Acura have same problem being old. Mine is 2.0. (200.000kms) In a good maintenance. New Air compressor is original and, of course, avoid  to replace with Chineses things or leave the car in those disorganized mechanics shops wish only learnt to scam and lose bolts.. this is my experience for years.

About head gasket, I was been watching some video about resurface myself, look easy job but at the end last week Honda CM checked the car with a Budget of Bht100.000.-.. No way. I’m not a mechanic, but love to learn, have enough tools and time to do the easy job but, I Prefer leave the block engine to resurface at the right place, it’s a matter of tenths millimeters..

It's best not to grind the head yourself. Yes, 0.1mm will make the gasket leak again. See if you can find an independent garage that deals just with hondas. If they cant smooth the surface, they can send it somewhere to do it. We sold our civic for 230K 2 years ago and got a crv diesel. My wife even prefered to drive the civic more than the crc. We should have sold her swift lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Get that Head skimmed over so you know that it is completely  flat and has a good Gasket seal surface.

The very act of removing the Head has probably cased a small amount of twist or warp, and it may well not be flat any more

Right, I used a torque wrench to remove the bolts but have the risk to warp the cylinder head

Just now, Tarteso said:

Right, I used a torque wrench to remove the bolts but have the risk to warp the cylinder head

That head has been under pressure since 05 so there will be a load of stressed Metal in it from the pressure and usage..

When, and if you take the head to the machine shop get them to run a DTI over the head and you can see for yourself the amount of warp.

Remember !

When you replace the Head back onto the Block with its new gasket to Torque the Bolts down with the correct amount of Torque recommended and most important in the correct sequence,

• Like 1