Thailand reports 1,763 new coronavirus cases, 27 new deaths

webfact

s3.reutersmedia copy.jpg

A healthcare worker takes a nasal swab sample from a person for a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test, at a temple near Klong Toey slum community in Bangkok, Thailand, May 3, 2021. REUTERS/Juarawee Kittisilpa

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Tuesday reported 1,763 new coronavirus cases and 27 deaths, as the country grapples with a third wave of infections.

The country has recorded 72,788 cases and 303 fatalities since the pandemic began last year.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat; Writing by Patpicha Tanakasempipat; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-05-04

Bangkok to open its first ICU equipped field hospital on Tuesday

Thailand’s first field hospital equipped with intensive care unit facilities will be officially opened ... (Tuesday), to receive COVID patients with severe symptoms.

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said in his Facebook post today that the hospital, operated by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), is located at the Chalerm Phrakiat stadium in Thung Khru and has a 432 patient capacity.

The governor explained that the number of severe cases has been increasing lately, accounting for 14% of all the infections, hence the need for more hospital beds to meet the demand.

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-to-open-its-first-icu-equipped-field-hospital-on-tuesday/

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

CCSA orders urgent vaccination for Klong Toei residents

“Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, who chaired the CCSA meeting on Monday, ordered the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) to start the vaccination on Tuesday at two locations in Klong Toei: Tesco Lotus Rama IV and Klong Toei Witthaya School from 1pm,” said Aswin.

“We expect to vaccinate 1,000 people on the first day, and about 2,000-3,000 in the following days.”Aswin added that the BMA would also launch active testing in Klong Toei areas at up to 1,000 people per day until May 19.

“We expect to test up to 20,000 people living in Klong Toei from the estimated total of 90,000 people in the areas.”

(more)

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000502

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The famous Koh Lan in Chonburi will be closed to tourists from May 5 to 20 in a bid to curb the spread of Covid-19, the Koh Lan community announced on Monday.

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000513

AND

05-04-21b.jpg.c45e9a0b4af8e9a0c25d3bbf3532dcfd.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/richardbarrowthailand/posts/324969962322607

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Sad 1

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Bangkok to open its first ICU equipped field hospital on Tuesday

Thailand’s first field hospital equipped with intensive care unit facilities will be officially opened ... (Tuesday), to receive COVID patients with severe symptoms.

Bangkok Governor Aswin Kwanmuang said in his Facebook post today that the hospital, operated by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), is located at the Chalerm Phrakiat stadium in Thung Khru and has a 432 patient capacity.

The governor explained that the number of severe cases has been increasing lately, accounting for 14% of all the infections, hence the need for more hospital beds to meet the demand.

(more)

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/bangkok-to-open-its-first-icu-equipped-field-hospital-on-tuesday/

"Intense" is certainly appropriate.

The virus has been raging for like 16 months (give or take)......

lots of talk.

maybe 1% vaccinated.  

I do think Thailand has done better than some countries, but now is the time to do a national vaccine roll-out.  every clinic in the country.  every pharmacy.  

we've all seen those slums.  sorry for those people living there, as all problems just get compounded.   

well, Bill Gates got a divorce....so maybe they are happier there than Bill.  maybe.  

1 minute ago, Forza2002 said:

Isaan accounts for 30% of the Thai population but the numbers being reported by some of the largely populated Issan Provinces is relatively low. This is either due to a shortage of test kits or the numbers are being finagled, after all "Face" means everything here in Thailand. 

This was yesterday's report for that area:

Screenshot_9.jpg.e15db86d8c9f83a8c333542498c79504.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forza2002 said:

Isaan accounts for 30% of the Thai population but the numbers being reported by some of the large populated Issan Provinces is relatively low. This is either due to a shortage of test kits or the numbers are being finagled, after all "Face" means everything here in Thailand. 

Isan is low on the governments ranking of importance  so health support will be minimal. However what they forget is is that prior to the illegal importation of Cambodian/Burmese ultra cheap labour since around 1998 ish, the Isan area accounted for the vast majority of the labour workforce that worked on the development of Bangkok since the 1960's.  It must gall the Elite and other snobbish persons as they drive around in their chauffeured cars to their VIP parking lots that if it was not for the Isan workers most of what you see now in Bangkok would not have been built without their help, and that includes most of the hospitals there that are currently in the middle of the covid battle. People really have a lot to thank that 30% for, but of course they won't.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Steady as she goes...stable new infections; getting towards the end of the Songkran window spike in infection deaths.

The 'songkran spike' has spread. The nature of this beast is to spread rapidlly. It's in the news. Maybe you just read the posts. "Steady as she goes..." means >600 people will die from covid this month.

Edited by dinsdale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Cases here in Thailand were very low, so the new situation is a bit of a shock to the system , but comparing to other countries , Thailand still does does very well .  For instance Greece , where I have friends and family , is only 11 million people, and they have close to thee thousand cases a day, and they are not panicking, instead they are opening up to vaccinated people soon. Thailand is 77 million people , they have one third the covid cases , and they are in a panic. Wife and me .We are seating here in our ASQ doing our seven day quarantine, we are both fully vaccinated, and we are treated like we are the plague.  After all the tests , and vaccinations we had, we are probaby the safest people in Thailand LOL  

Why didn't you go to Greece instead?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

From the Ministry of Public Health via EN translation by NBTWorld, every day posted here, usually early afternoon.

https://www.facebook.com/nbtworld/photos

This was from yesterday:

05-03-21e.jpg.c2d674f4c159dd347daf6bfc08074423.jpg

Thanks...I've looked around some Phuket government websites and FB pages but everything seems to be in Thai. Much appreciated. 

A post providing a statistic without any source or attribution has been removed, along with several replies.

And just a reminder, this forum is for commenting on the topic at hand, and NOT for commenting on your fellow forum members.

There is only one solution to this without perpetual lockdowns and economic devastation and that is mass vaccinations. Not reactionary jabs meant for show only. All possible vaccine manufacturers should be engaged, not headline making insincere discussions, but requests for help without putting profit and pride first. The only thing standing in the way of this obvious solution are the fools running the show.

That said I consider my risk of catching the Rona very, very low because I basically stay on my block and hang out only with my wife now (though I think I have already caught it at least once). The thing that might kill me first is boredom. But at least food and housing are cheap.

Edited by wasabi