Mystery of the solar panel/lamp that should work but doesn't. Advice needed.

Hi.

Hope someone reading this might be able to help.

I was kindly given some (used) solar panels/lamps by someone who no longer needed them.

Two small panels & lamps, plus one larger panel & lamp.

The two small sets work fine, with 1 red light on each lamp blinking during the day, then darkness falls and they light up. No problem.

But the large one has 1 little red light and about 5 little green lights on the lamp during the day  (but they don't blink).....and at night time the red & green lights go off and then.....nothing. The lamp does not put out any light at all....completely dead.

There are NO on/off switches anywhere and there are NO batteries.

They didn't come in boxes with information about any problems that might occur.

Was not given any remote controls. (I don't know if they're required for these models....but I don't think so.)

Can anyone give me clues about why the large lamp won't work? There IS life there, as the red light and the 5/6 green lights come on in the daytime.

I didn't buy it, so can't complain...

but it's kind of bugging me that it won't work. 

Can anyone help solve this mystery? He or she who does so will achieve everlasting fame and glory!

3 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

Pretty sure there is a battery in there somewhere, how else can it store energy from the day and use it to power the light at night. Unless that’s the problem, put a battery in...

I figured the same thing, Gulfsailor, but have made exhaustive efforts to find one but to no avail.

There's a little connection box on the rear of the panel but only two wires soldered on tight. 

No battery. ????????

4 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Can you post some photos of what you have?

There's certainly batteries involved somewhere.

Ironic that you should reply, Crossy, as a few minutes ago I was reading one of your posts where you included a photo of the model you had.....and strangely enough.....it's the same one I have!

In which case, it apparently does have a remote, right? And a battery! So maybe I need to get my hands on the remote (somehow) and/or locate the battery and maybe change it.

17 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

Could be "built in" rechargeable cell that is no longer holding the charge.

Possibly? (I really don't have much knowledge of these things! ????)

If it's the street light the cover on the light bit just unscrews, batteries inside.

The floodlight I have is sealed, so until it actually stops it's not getting opened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

If it's the street light the cover on the light bit just unscrews, batteries inside.

The floodlight I have is sealed, so until it actually stops it's not getting opened.

I will grab a screwdriver and go and investigate that! ????

The batteries are in the big black bit on the right (ours is not readily opened).

The string of green LEDs are the charge indicator, if they all go off when the panel is disconnected the chances are the batteries are shot.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Crossy said:

The batteries are in the big black bit on the right (ours is not readily opened).

The string of green LEDs are the charge indicator, if they all go off when the panel is disconnected the chances are the batteries are shot.

Well, Crossy, that's the info I needed to be clearer about what's going on....and I sincerely thank you for that. ????????

But I'm now confounded by a new mystery..........you're absolutely correct about the black lamp being 'not readily opened'!!

As far as I can see, it's not possible to open it at all!

No screws, clips or anything that allows access to the battery! 

So in theory and by the looks of it, in practice, when the battery conks out, game over! 

Don't know whether to laugh or cry! 

But....whatever........I do appreciate your help. Cheers. ????

1 minute ago, maxpower said:

remote-01.jpg.6d8e8df7a6192b629ac3001a2988ff8e.jpg

Similar light with bonded glass forced open

fgm_0457.jpg.f5ca882e2cb7f717cf14da0d58bbd767.jpg

Crikey!

Well, Maxpower......that's mighty interesting!

So it does have a remote! Ok...that's useful to know, cheers!????

Now....is that blue thing the battery/ies?? 

So you have to force the bonded glass open? With great care, I imagine!

Then....if you do change the battery, you then fix the glass back on (with silicone and a prayer) ?

Wow, that's a puzzler!

Maxpower....I appreciate you sending the info & pics. Thanks.

10 minutes ago, Toolong said:

So you have to force the bonded glass open? With great care, I imagine!

I would be more tempted to cut a hole in the back  plastic to access the battery rather than try prying off the glass...seal up again afterwards with silicon sealer.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, johng said:

I would be more tempted to cut a hole in the back  plastic to access the battery rather than try prying off the glass...seal up again afterwards with silicon sealer.

Yes, that crossed my mind. The picture Maxpower posted would allow one to see how you could do it without damaging the stuff inside.....in theory!

But the plastic is ribbed and quite hard! You would have your work cut out to do it without getting in one hell of a mess! That was my (second) thought anyway so I abandoned that endeavour!

????

14 minutes ago, Toolong said:

Yes, that crossed my mind. The picture Maxpower posted would allow one to see how you could do it without damaging the stuff inside.....in theory!

Gentle warming of the bonded area and a plastic spudger helps avoid breaking the glass. Not a job for the ham-fisted.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, maxpower said:

Gentle warming of the bonded area and a plastic spudger helps avoid breaking the glass. Not a job for the ham-fisted.

The person who gave me the light said they forgot to pack the remote, so when I get the remote I'll see if it helps, though Crossy did say the green lights may indicate that it's the fault of the battery, in which case, if the remote doesn't help.......I'm going into that casing somehow and may take your advice!!

(Nothing to lose.) 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crossy said:

Leave the panel (connected to the light of course) in full sun all day whilst waiting for the remote, with luck the cells will recover.

Good idea, will do that........and without delay this morning, cos the rain clouds have been taking up most of the afternoons recently up here in Korat!

Thanks for the advice, Crossy.

I was about to start a new topic then I read this one, which "answers" my problem. The problem is how to replace the battery in that solar light?  (below)

As now that seems very difficult, does anybody know of a manufacturer who makes these type of solar lights that actually you can open?

How long should the battery last?

solar light 200w.jpg

If you want new batteries I think you will have to go to

Aliexpress and order them from China, then there's the problem

not all suppliers will send batteries to Thailand, and they can

be expensive, wanted to order some for Bluetooth speaker and

they were more expensive than a new speaker.

regards worgeordie

3 hours ago, finewine said:

I was about to start a new topic then I read this one, which "answers" my problem. The problem is how to replace the battery in that solar light?  (below)

As now that seems very difficult, does anybody know of a manufacturer who makes these type of solar lights that actually you can open?

How long should the battery last?

That light appears to have clips holding it together.

Pull the battery, you should be able to glean the necessary detail from the packaging and get something suitable from Lazada.

The batteries "ought" to last several years, but it's all down to the quality of the cells and how nicely the BMS (or lack of one) treats them.

Sorry, I obviously wasn't clear enough in my original post. I have bought batteries via Lazada, for other solar lights. From this forum, I now know also not to buy the 18650;  12000mAh batteries sold there.

What I need advice on is how to get inside the light. As Crossy noted there 4 clips holding the glass. I have removed them, but the glass seems very well stuck to the plastic. I didn't want to break it.  Is it worth trying to slip a screwdriver between the glass and the plastic?

Thanks for your help and also thank you to Crossy for his solar project on the garage roof.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, finewine said:

What I need advice on is how to get inside the light. As Crossy noted there 4 clips holding the glass. I have removed them, but the glass seems very well stuck to the plastic. I didn't want to break it.  Is it worth trying to slip a screwdriver between the glass and the plastic?

A butter or pallet knife would be better than a screwdriver, it's hopefully just stuck on the gasket. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:26 AM, Gulfsailor said:

Pretty sure there is a battery in there somewhere, how else can it store energy from the day and use it to power the light at night. Unless that’s the problem, put a battery in...

Correct. Solar cells produce energy from sunlight but cannot store energy. Without a battery they are pointless. Inside the battery may be soldered to the electronics but may have a holder, allowing replacement. 

Someday maybe they can use supercapacitors, but not any time soon. 

On 5/9/2021 at 2:09 PM, worgeordie said:

If you want new batteries I think you will have to go to

Aliexpress and order them from China, then there's the problem

not all suppliers will send batteries to Thailand, and they can be expensive,

up North, a local electronics store stocks rechargeable batteries, worth checking out your local shops.

but... standard sizes, so, space permitting, you would likely end up soldering and taping a few standard sizes in series.

(Note: Mail takes several months to arrive now, I have three packages with electronics “ in the mail”.)

p.s. did you check the Led itself ?

Edited by KKr

On 5/4/2021 at 11:18 AM, Toolong said:

and there are NO batteries

There are batteries (as many have already said), just not obviously seen.

The big one is trying to charge a dud (dead) battery, thus the green/red LEDs during the day. But if the battery is a dud and no charge goes in during the day then no charge will be available at night.

There's usually a fix it shop in most villages, just take it there and ask if they can put a new battery in.

All those things are made for use and not to replace items (batteries) when broken.

IP 67, so to have that the glass is glued to the frame. Its hard to open it.

Not made durable, broken, throw it away. As with many things nowadays.

Everything inside, as well batteries short to source, as shown on pic in this topic.

Also said , you need remote control with batteries. ????

something like this https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/300W-solar-flood-light-high-quality_62389174117.html

If you like to try, it is a burst or lucky. You will need a very sharp blade to cut the "glue"

But then to get it water tight again and closed , is another problem.

I think maxpower was very patient and lucky in opening, or did he broke the glass ?