Help and Advice on the Road to Thai Citizenship

Just now, Freddy42OZ said:

Interesting.  

I wonder if they'd look at someone differently if they had a business here employing lots of people and generating in excess of a million baht a month?  

they have other type of scoring if your working here. Its base on your income and work. So the scores goes to your work, education area from marriage area. For example if you have 5 years yellow book its 5 pts. this 5 points goes to your income. Of course having a thai wife makes it easier. 

22 hours ago, problemfarang said:

Another thing is at the police station they will give you a form to fill in, that will be in thai. thats to check if you can read and write thai. Also there will be another thai written exam in the future about Thailand and the monarchy too. I think its around 10 points (read + write thai). i cannot remember the points for the written exam but should be around 10 again. 

There is no written exam, just a multiple choice test. 

They don't give you forms in Thai to check if you can read Thai, it is because we are in Thailand. 

21 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

This is an interesting discussion. I always assumed I could not get citizenship because one had to work and pay taxes (that is probably for permanent residency). Based on the point system in an earlier post, I would get over 50 points without speaking or writing Thai.

You have to be working and paying taxes for 3 years to apply for citizenship and until it is approved.

Only 40k baht of income from working is required to apply.

• Like 1

Just now, Neeranam said:

There is no written exam, just a multiple choice test. 

They don't give you forms in Thai to check if you can read Thai, it is because we are in Thailand. 

yes that test is multiple choice. Its about thailand. i think around 10-12 questions. At the police station its only application and some documents such as copy of your passport. 

10 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

Well everything is up to the points you get for sure.. But its also the decision of a committee around 5 people. I would imagine they wont let you pass without speaking at least daily level of thai language. Well tbh i wouldnt. I think thats why language part has high scores if you checked my scoring list, its 8 pts by itself.

Are you a Thai citizen?

Which part of the process were there 5 people deciding on your Thai ability?

8 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Are you a Thai citizen?

Which part of the process were there 5 people deciding on your Thai ability?

No, i failed with 47 points because i couldnt sing the anthems. there were 5 people in my interview, So i believe they decide about everything.. it took 5-6 min for me because they understood that my thai is ok.

also they asked me if i can read and write thai, i told them i cannot but im learning it.. So they showed me something to read, which i couldnt. 

Actually i just remembered that someone at the office told me things might be little bit different for me because of my military background. And also my wife is very high government employee. I dont know its true or not but my process was like this. 

Edited by problemfarang

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

No, i failed with 47 points because i couldnt sing the anthems. there were 5 people in my interview, So i believe they decide about everything.. it took 5-6 min for me because they understood that my thai is ok.

also they asked me if i can read and write thai, i told them i cannot but im learning it.. So they showed me something to read, which i couldnt. 

Actually i just remembered that someone at the office told me things might be little bit different for me because of my military background. And also my wife is very high government employee. I dont know its true or not but my process was like this. 

Very strange as my interview were the points are given is at sb and only the top cop upstairs was present. 

also once you have all your documents in order this interview comes very quick maybe 1-2 weeks 

36 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

My question is... Seriously, what does anyone have to gain (or what advantage is there) by becoming a Thai citizen?

If you live here, work here and have family here citizenship is security you can stay here

• Like 1

My own personal reason is that I have chosen to make Thailand my home. My wife is Thai. Everything I have is in Thailand and there is little chance of me ever returning to the UK. I don't want the yearly hassle of visa extensions work permits etc.

I also believe I will get more of a sense of 'belonging' to the country.

These are my reasons. I'm sure others have theirs.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, yankee99 said:

Very strange as my interview were the points are given is at sb and only the top cop upstairs was present. 

also once you have all your documents in order this interview comes very quick maybe 1-2 weeks 

I think he was talking about the MoI interview, as he said there were 30 people present when he sang the songs. 

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

I think he was talking about the MoI interview, as he said there were 30 people present when he sang the songs. 

Maybe but i thought he said he only had 47 points and there were 5 people awarding the points.