Any issues for a farang selling his car?

I'm about to sell a 21 year old car that I purchased in my name (IE: my name is on the title although it is Thai interpretation).

I have been told that the buyer and I can go to a vehicle inspection station with proper identification, pay a small fee, and be done with it?

Does that match experience of anyone who has sold their car?

Or what hurdles am I about to find?

Just now, bankruatsteve said:

@xylophone Thanks. is there a defacto standard as to who pays the fees or are they shared - if you know?

Don't know if there is a standard practice, but we split whatever the cost was (some 10 yrs ago so don't remember the exact amount, sorry).

• Thanks 1

Well, I just sold it to a dealer who came to our house.  He wanted a copy of my passport, visa extension, and (for reason I don't know) my last 90 day report receipt.  Along with signing 4 copies of 3 other forms.  He paid cash the price I wanted.  Done.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Depending where you are...some offices require a Letter of Residence from the foreign seller

Yes I was just about to post that   Chonburi  certainly requires it.

I've sold 3 cars over the years. Never needed to do anything other than sign some forms and attach signed photocopy of my passport.  Buyer took care of going to DLT & registering. YMMV

• Like 1

Just hopes this helps anybody being told that farang selling a car needs money to resolve. That is what I was told at first. I said BS and posted here. Turns out the local dealer who said that called someone who knows and everything went as described. 

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't transfer of ownership have to be done at a LTD?

No… looks like the op signed an affidavit to transfer the vehicle… 

No, it doesn't, there's no mention or suggestion in the OP that there is any affidavit.

11 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:
19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
21 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Doesn't transfer of ownership have to be done at a LTD?

No… looks like the op signed an affidavit to transfer the vehicle… 

No, it doesn't, there's no mention or suggestion in the OP that there is any affidavit.

Of course it does, you’re making an argument without knowing anything about the subject on which you argue. 

There is no way the Op could sell the vehicle without going to the DLT without signing such a document. All car dealers and many private sellers know this. 

Just because there is no specific mention of an affidavit does not mean one was not signed. The Op may not recognise the document he signed as an Affidavit, that does not mean he didn’t sign one.

A car cannot be transferred without the presence of the owner unless such an Affidavit has been signed. 

I have transferred ownership of (sold) two cars and one motorbike without having to go to the DLT by signing such an affidavit.

What do you think these ’3 other forms’ were if one of them wasn’t an affidavit ?? another would have been an agreement of sale. 

On 5/4/2021 at 1:21 PM, bankruatsteve said:

Well, I just sold it to a dealer who came to our house.  He wanted a copy of my passport, visa extension, and (for reason I don't know) my last 90 day report receipt.  Along with signing 4 copies of 3 other forms.  He paid cash the price I wanted.  Done.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you are referring to my 3rd post (post #6), I have no idea what I signed.  He had 3 duplicates of 3 or 4 different forms.  I never did sign the title book - he said not necessary.  Anyway, he has my car and I have cash so whatever the forms were,, it was without issue and took maybe 10 minutes.

1 minute ago, bankruatsteve said:
13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

If you are referring to my 3rd post (post #6), I have no idea what I signed. 

No, I wasn't referring to that.

19 hours ago, baansgr said:

Depending where you are...some offices require a Letter of Residence from the foreign seller....the buyer may come back to you and ask for one

I think that's why he wanted the 90 day report receipt as it is 'Notification of address".  I hope that does it as a letter from IO costs B500.

Update... Apparently, the DMV (or whatever its called here) needs a signature in BLUE ink. I signed in black. So, the guy is coming back tomorrow and I need to re-sign everything in blue. UnF-ing believable. 

• Haha 1

", I have no idea what I signed. "

Lets hope the OP didnt sign a loan agreement for the money he was given as he said he didnt know what the papers were. Not a wise move . (IMHO) signing anything you dont know especially when accompanied by passport etc.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, CharlieH said:

", I have no idea what I signed. "

Lets hope the OP didnt sign a loan agreement for the money he was given as he said he didnt know what the papers were. Not a wise move . (IMHO) signing anything you dont know especially when accompanied by passport etc.

I know that I did not sign a loan agreement. I did know they were forms relevant to selling a vehicle but I didn't try to understand the specifics and didn't care.