Moderna Insists to Directly Sell Covid-19 Vaccine to Thai Government

webfact

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Pure speculation, this is not about making tiny amounts of money on the grand scale of things - it's about getting as many vaccines out as quickly as possible so they can stop losing money as a country overall.

The government will buy as many vaccines as it can, assuming they receive an adequate supply then they will distribute the vaccines far and wide for a mass roll out.

Thailand has a huge network of private hospitals, excluding them from this vaccination process is nonsense and I can't believe that it will happen. If it does then there's something very wrong with the process.

Pure speculation.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Pure speculation, this is not about making tiny amounts of money on the grand scale of things - it's about getting as many vaccines out as quickly as possible so they can stop losing money as a country overall.

The government will buy as many vaccines as it can, assuming they receive an adequate supply then they will distribute the vaccines far and wide for a mass roll out.

Thailand has a huge network of private hospitals, excluding them from this vaccination process is nonsense and I can't believe that it will happen. If it does then there's something very wrong with the process.

Besides if the government makes some money (not the ministers themselves) who would care. I certainly would not. What you said makes a lot sense. Let the government buy it and distribute it to private hospitals.

• Like 1

If someone is willing to pay extra right now for a Thai approved jab of their choice at a private hospital, and the dose they receive is in addition to those already planned, it does not take away one meant for any another person.  It actually frees up an extra jab for the public.

It is a win-win for everyone involved.  The patient gets their jab, the hospital makes some money, and the country gets vaccinated sooner.

The demand is there, and the hospitals are ready and waiting, if they could just get out of their way and let them get on with it. 

Sourcing through the government adds another roadblock with more delay. They must remove all obstacles impeding this glacial paced vaccination rollout.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

Besides if the government makes some money (not the ministers themselves) who would care. I certainly would not. What you said makes a lot sense. Let the government buy it and distribute it to private hospitals.

The expense to the Government on COVID has been extreme and the cost of shipping, storing, distributing will be additional expense after the vaccines get here. I also have no issues with the Government making a few dollars either. If it gets more vaccine options into Thailand and to the hospitals faster, then its a positive thing.

BTW, I made the numbers up as an example.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DLock said:

The expense to the Government on COVID has been extreme and the cost of shipping, storing, distributing will be additional expense after the vaccines get here. I also have no issues with the Government making a few dollars either. If it gets more vaccine options into Thailand and to the hospitals faster, then its a positive thing.

BTW, I made the numbers up as an example.

Yes its all about speed and of course you made the numbers up, there is no way you could have known the real numbers as no deals have been signed. 

I just hope private hospitals get the vaccine fast I am willing to pay for it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brucegoniners said:

Gee, I wonder who told them to say that.

I know for a fact that a private hospital in Bangkok had a deal in January to buy Moderna directly. My wife and I were on a waiting list. But the Thai government kept delaying things and now is insisting they control all vaccine distribution.

Control is the operative word.

Its the vaccine makers that are insisting on no private sales, Read the OP. I don't know of any country that allows vaccine sales that bypass the government, certainly not the UK.

As for those dreaming of buying it online, good luck with that, I can't imagine the Thai postal service guaranteeing to keep it at -20C.

58 minutes ago, DLock said:

You are right, the hospitals will still make money and the customer will end up paying anyway...but people don't like the Government making money...

1. Moderna sells it to the government for $5.

2. The government sells it to private hospitals for $20.

3. The hospitals sell it to people who want to pay for it for $60

If it helps get larger volumes here faster, I could care less it costs a few shackles more...just stop talking, get it here and get it distributed...

https://www.bmj.com/content/372/bmj.n281

Moderna sells at $15 per shot to the US government, more to other countries.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, polpott said:

Its the vaccine makers that are insisting on no private sales, Read the OP. I don't know of any country that allows vaccine sales that bypass the government, certainly not the UK.

As for those dreaming of buying it online, good luck with that, I can't imagine the Thai postal service guaranteeing to keep it at -20C.

There's plenty of vaccines that need nothing more than regular fridge temperatures and more will be coming before the end of the year.

There's plenty of time for this process.

1 minute ago, ukrules said:

There's plenty of vaccines that need nothing more than regular fridge temperatures and more will be coming before the end of the year.

There's plenty of time for this process.

Not Moderna, which is the subject of this thread.

Whenever I see headlines like this, I always hope to see the publishing of a statement from the 1st party. However, I'd say about 99% of the time, looking into the article, it looks like this

Foreign Company Says a Bad Thing for Thailand

Bangkok - Thai Authorities say a foreign company said a bad thing for Thailand.

Subsequent searching for the statement almost never yields the info (in the same context) as the Thai utterance. Weird. And dumb.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1