Extension on medical grounds

at present, I do my annual extension based on money in bank though from June, I could do this based on income apart from all the extra hooks you have to jump through. I could also apply based on being married to a Thai but again money in  the bank is simpler, I believe,

I had a severe stroke 4 years ago. Whilst it is not necessary just now, could I get at some point in the future an annual extension on medical grounds?. I have sufficient funds at present to cover outpatient expenses. In addition, I also have a Thai ID card. 

Thanks,

Alan

Ok Thanks.

Next time, I go to the hospital, I'll ask about a certificate saying I'm unfit to fly. I was planning on taking my wife to Scotland on a settlement visa in 3 years but would likely require medical assistance to fly as I need help to go to the toilet etc. On top of the stroke, I also have heart disease (under control at present)and an enlarged prostate, which if you ignore the pun is really peeing me off big time. 

Alan

I assume your currently applying for extensions based on retirement?

You could apply based on marriage to a Thai.

The financial requirement is 400K in a Thai bank for 2 months prior to the application date.

Once the extension is granted you can withdraw the full amount if required, OR 12 x 40K monthly overseas transfers.

Have you researched the requirements for 'settlement' in the UK for your Thai wife.

Whilst medical treatment may be free, you could wait longer.

For Prostate issue there are topics on the forum that may be of help.

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Be aware that at most immigration offices (unless using an agent) requests for medical extensions based on being unable to travel are treated very sceptically.

As above. And the criteria is being unable to travel, will need a letter from doctor stating this and why. Simply receiving medical care in Thailand is not sufficient grounds.

Some IOs also require photographs of the patient that demonstrate the seriousness of their condition/inability to travel.

When the person in question is in the hospital it is fairly easy to get with letter from the hospital. For someone no longer hospitalized, likely a lot harder...especially if you are able to attend at immigration. Especially difficult to get more than one such extension (as Joe explained they are for 90 days only) if not currently hospitalized.

Really not a viable option for you. Stick to marriage or retirement extension.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Be aware that at most immigration offices (unless using an agent) requests for medical extensions based on being unable to travel are treated very sceptically.

I suppose they may think perhaps  if you can get yourself to the Immigration office then you could also get yourself to the airport, with or without assistance to either places . They don't take into consideration the issues you may have inflight like toilet etc.

Edited by Excel
  • Thanks 1

heard a falang ask for medical visa.  immigration officer asked, 'note from doctor?'  he said, 'no.'   guy asked, 'let me see the scar'

shows the scar, said it was a few years ago.  end of that attempt.  

and we wonder why they get sceptic.  soon enough, we will see everything.  

13 hours ago, BritTim said:

Years ago I once got an extension, I had to go back to the hospital for another letter, as the doctor was not *treating* me,( advised by the I.O.)  prescribed some pain killers, to much pain for travel. I was now being treated by a Thai doctor, extension granted. 

• Haha 1

5 or so years ago I was taken out on a bike by an unlicensed teenage driver.. compounded leg, broken arm, reconstructed hands, few surgeries, the usual.. 

I asked the hospital what my situation was, they could do it only while I was an inpatient.. As it was I was in agony, freshly broken bones in multiple limbs and 5 hours of surgeries but freshly discharged to weeks of bed rest at home..  As I wasnt planning on any of this happening I was on a multi entry and not seasoning money.. I tried to have my wife check it out.. Hard No, he has to come here !! I was taken in, in deep distress, heavy pain killers, with a wheelchair, ambulance and nursing assistance.. No.. Go to Myanmar and do a visa run !! 

Ultimately I managed to get a 60 day family extension, season money, and 2 months later do the whole nightmare again banging a wheelchair up / down steps etc etc for an extension.. By the way they never offered me that suggestion, I had to know about it, insist on it, and push to get it, despite it being clear I was married and eligible. 

If they wont give a medical extension to someone with still bleeding operation wounds, pins, plates, and metal sticking out of multiple shattered limbs.. I dont know who gets it !! 

Edited by LivinLOS

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There is no annual extension for medical reasons. They are only issued up to 90 days at a time.

You have to prove you still qualify for it every 90 days.

I've always wondered about this.  If a long-stay expat has something like stroke and is incapacitated, and the money they saved for their extension is used for their long-term or end-of-life medical care - then what? 
Assume the expat is incapable of taking care of their own affairs.

1 hour ago, connda said:

I've always wondered about this.  If a long-stay expat has something like stroke and is incapacitated, and the money they saved for their extension is used for their long-term or end-of-life medical care - then what? 

That's me . I was planning to take my wife to Scotland on a settlement visa but had a stroke before the process could be completed. Now, I can only walk short distances with a cane and need a wheelchair to go any distance could probably apply on the basis of income though that would require the use of an agent. !!

Alan

Fifelad 55,

To supplement Ubonjoe and other posters:

You must be under a Thai Doctors continuous care with medical certificates to prove which ever ailment prevents you from returning to your homeland. 

Up to date and accurate supporting documentation with that particular Thai doctor still emploued at the hospital of your choosing with a paper trail of history ....first visit to your most recent.

Happy Hunting

On 5/4/2021 at 12:58 PM, ubonjoe said:

There is no annual extension for medical reasons. They are only issued up to 90 days at a time.

You have to prove you still qualify for it every 90 days.

Say a retiree was hospitalised at the time his next retirement extension was due and obtained a 90-day medical extension as a result. Would he be able to switch back to retirement extensions once the 90 days were up without having to start all over again with a fresh non-OA or non-O visa?

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Would he be able to switch back to retirement extensions once the 90 days were up without having to start all over again with a fresh non-OA or non-O visa?

Yes they can.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 11:56 AM, connda said:

If they no longer meet the financial requirement for extension of stay they would have to leave Thailand or else use an agent (which also costs something).

Might get a temporary (i.e. 90 day) extension in doing so if really unable to travel.

This exact situation has arisen many times in Thailand and often required assistance from Embassies (in notfiying family in the home country etc) and groups like Lanna Care to help repatriate the person.

What will not happen is any sort of "compassionate leave" to remain in Thailand indefinitely or waiver of the extension requirements.

Thanks for all the replies. If I return to Scotland I'll need to move into a nursing home, which is another issue. Once my funds fall below a certain level, the cost will be free. Incidentally, I have paid income tax for almost 49 years and indeed am still paying tax!

Alan