Extending a tourist visa then converting to a retirement visa.

Have searched but can't find definitive answers, so any help appreciated, thanks.

Am arriving on a TV, then extending for the 30 days giving 90 days in total.

Lets say I arrive on the 1st of June then extend for ano 30 days at the end of July.

I transfer funds from abroad to Bangkok Bank using a format that shows funds have come from abroad, in the second week of August.

Does that give me enough time to apply for the retirement visa? How many days before expiry of the final 30 days on the TV do I have? or do I have to do it before I apply for the 30 days extension? Just trying to keep funds in bank abroad for as long as possible before tying it up here. Thanks.

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To the OP. You can apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry based upon retirement after you apply for a 30 day extension if needed. But you must have at least 15 days remaining on the extension.

You can apply for the visa as soon as you have the 800k baht in the bank since it only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply. You will need proof it was transferred from abroad.

Requirements for the visa application is here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. At that time the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 2 months.

Thank you, exactly what I hoped to find out...perfick....

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the visa as soon as you have the 800k baht in the bank since it only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply. You will need proof it was transferred from abroad

The issue for me in this regard is it he inability to open a bank account unless I go down "less then scrupulous roots": ie an agent, which I have zero interest in.  Last time I tired on a tourist visa (3 years ago or so), I went to about 5 banks, I was told I "cannot open a bank account unless you get retirement visa" so I reply, "I cannot get a retirement visa unless I open a bank account to transfer money into" I I mean in terms of entry as a tourist and then conversion to non-o.  Getting one in my home country of Australia also seemed like a lot of bureaucracy, involving police checks etc etc

I assume all of that is a test to see how committed I am to getting said visa, obliviously I was never that comminuted to circumventing the burecracy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

To the OP. You can apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry based upon retirement after you apply for a 30 day extension if needed. But you must have at least 15 days remaining on the extension.

You can apply for the extension as soon as you have the 800k baht in the bank since it only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply. You will need proof it was transferred from abroad.

Requirements for the visa application is here. https://bangkokimmigration.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/08-edit_NON-O.pdf

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement. At that time the 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 2 months.

Thanks Joe. This is something I’m considering as well. However, it seems that it is now possible to apply for a non-o without having to leave Thailand for a Thai Embassy, say in Lao.. Is that correct? I don’t really want to quarantine twice. Also, Is it correct that all 800 K must come at one time and cannot use funds already deposited from prior years?

41 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

However, it seems that it is now possible to apply for a non-o without having to leave Thailand for a Thai Embassy, say in Lao.. Is that correct?

That is correct if you have tourist visa or visa exempt entry.

41 minutes ago, Harveyg said:

Also, Is it correct that all 800 K must come at one time and cannot use funds already deposited from prior years?

If you have part of the funds that have been in a Thai bank for a long time it can be used with new funds transferred in. 

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 3:34 PM, BumGun said:

The issue for me in this regard is it he inability to open a bank account unless I go down "less then scrupulous roots": ie an agent, which I have zero interest in.  Last time I tired on a tourist visa (3 years ago or so), I went to about 5 banks, I was told I "cannot open a bank account unless you get retirement visa" so I reply, "I cannot get a retirement visa unless I open a bank account to transfer money into" I I mean in terms of entry as a tourist and then conversion to non-o.  Getting one in my home country of Australia also seemed like a lot of bureaucracy, involving police checks etc etc

I assume all of that is a test to see how committed I am to getting said visa, obliviously I was never that comminuted to circumventing the burecracy

I did it the "legit" way but I don't think they want you to, given all the BS I had to go through. If you value you time at 1k baht per hour or higher, just pay an agent.

Edited by ayahuasca

On 5/5/2021 at 3:34 PM, BumGun said:

The issue for me in this regard is it he inability to open a bank account unless I go down "less then scrupulous roots": ie an agent, which I have zero interest in.

Some services that agents provide are not "less scrupulous". Opening a bank account can be difficult. Many report having to visit many banks. It is even more difficult now especially with a visa exempt or tourist visa entry. There was a report recently of someone entering visa exempt with plan to obtain non o (retirement) and subsequent extension. To open bank account he used Siam legal and was a painless process. Also cheap. Think good option for some.

On 5/5/2021 at 7:03 AM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the extension as soon as you have the 800k baht in the bank since it only needs to be in the bank on the day you apply. You will need proof it was transferred from abroad.

My experience at Chonburi Immigration today. (12 May 21)

Over 50 years old.

I arrived in Thailand 20 Apr 2021 on a 45 day exempt VISA. (VISA expires 3 June 21)

Topped up my Bangkok Bank Account on 28 Apr 2021. (Over 900K Baht)

Arrived at immigration with all required documentation. (Bank Book and Letter, Proof of Address, Passport Copies)

More than 15 days remaining on my VISA.

Informed the lady at the information desk that I wanted to apply for a Non-O VISA for retirement and was given a TM-87.

The IO looked at the paperwork and said that the money hadn't been in the bank long enough.

When I asked about a 30 day extension she clearly said no the money had to be in the account until 28 July (3 Months).

After this encounter I went ahead and had the VISA extended 30 days. (Good until 3 July 21)

So did I do something wrong, was the IO confused or am I being pushed to an agent?

What is the best way forward?

Pay an agent?

Try again next month and hope for a different IO?

Go to Bangkok for a week and apply there and if I go to Bangkok would I have to do extensions in Bangkok?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, deodai said:

So did I do something wrong, was the IO confused or am I being pushed to an agent?

Probably trying to push you to use an agent.

Just stand your ground, there is no seasoning requirement when applying for non immigrant visa. Print the document showing the requirements which ubonjoe posted above, this might help you.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jackdd said:

Just stand your ground, there is no seasoning requirement when applying for non immigrant visa. Print the document showing the requirements which ubonjoe posted above, this might help you.

Sounds good but the referenced document doesn't mention money or bank account and the IO makes the rules. She seemed to think that the rules for applying for a Non-O VISA are the same as applying for an extension and for me it was money in the bank for 3 months before applying.

Regards

deodai

26 minutes ago, deodai said:

Sounds good but the referenced document doesn't mention money or bank account and the IO makes the rules.

Under point 5 in the document it says you need 800k in a bank account, doesn't say that it has to be seasoned.

28 minutes ago, deodai said:

She seemed to think that the rules for applying for a Non-O VISA are the same as applying for an extension and for me it was money in the bank for 3 months before applying.

When applying for an extension it's 2 months, not 3, so even if this is what she thought, she was wrong.

34 minutes ago, jackdd said:

When applying for an extension it's 2 months, not 3, so even if this is what she thought, she was wrong.

You are correct on point 5 but I had that covered, had my bank book, letter from the bank and the funds. If seasoning was mentioned then I could use it to refute her position, but it wasn't so it's up to the IO.

As for the IO being wrong. I agree but arguing with an IO is like arguing with your TV. This one was in broadcast mode with no receive capability. Pretty obvious that the IO was looking for any reason to make things complicated.

Regards

deodai

1 minute ago, deodai said:

If seasoning was mentioned then I could use it to refute her position, but it wasn't so it's up to the IO.

Documents with requirements usually only list the things that are required, not things that aren't required. Seasoning isn't mentioned, thus it's not required.

6 minutes ago, deodai said:

As for the IO being wrong. I agree but arguing with an IO is like arguing with your TV. This one was in broadcast mode with no receive capability. Pretty obvious that the IO was looking for any reason to make things complicated.

Just ask to speak with her supervisor.

On 5/12/2021 at 2:51 PM, deodai said:

My experience at Chonburi Immigration today. (12 May 21)

Over 50 years old.

I arrived in Thailand 20 Apr 2021 on a 45 day exempt VISA. (VISA expires 3 June 21)

Topped up my Bangkok Bank Account on 28 Apr 2021. (Over 900K Baht)

Arrived at immigration with all required documentation. (Bank Book and Letter, Proof of Address, Passport Copies)

More than 15 days remaining on my VISA.

Informed the lady at the information desk that I wanted to apply for a Non-O VISA for retirement and was given a TM-87.

The IO looked at the paperwork and said that the money hadn't been in the bank long enough.

When I asked about a 30 day extension she clearly said no the money had to be in the account until 28 July (3 Months).

After this encounter I went ahead and had the VISA extended 30 days. (Good until 3 July 21)

Talked to a couple of VISA agents and according to them:

Chonburi is combining the Non-O and Extension effectively making it a 15 month VISA.

So to qualify you are required to have seasoned funds in your bank account when you apply.

Makes it impossible to convert an Exempt VISA to Non-O if you need to open a bank account after ASQ.

45 Day Exempt + 30 Day Extension - 14 Day ASQ - 15 Day Remaining on Exempt VISA

Agents are asking for around 25K Baht to overcome this.

So do they operate like this in Bangkok?

Has anyone managed to get a Non-O in Bangkok without having seasoned fund in the bank?

Moving wouldn't be a problem.

Regards

deodai

20 minutes ago, deodai said:

Moving wouldn't be a problem.

All the advice that jackdd gave you is correct.

You certainly will not encounter any problems at CW with what you outlined.

Seems ridiculous that you would need to apply at CW however that's an option.

As suggested above I would ask to speak with superior. 

Edited by DrJack54

What "evidence" is meant with Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to ThailandIf I transfer funds from my Swiss bank account to my Thai bank account, what document do I need to show?

Another question on the transfer from abroad:  My Swiss bank requires that I include an SWIFT purpose code 318012 on the remittance advice. 

>>SWIFT 318012 Purpose code Travel/tourist expenses such as accommodation, food, hotel services, and travel or tour package payments

Does that mean that I will never be able to transfer the funds form Thailand back home?

Edited by Schorsch0815

5 hours ago, Schorsch0815 said:

What "evidence" is meant with Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to ThailandIf I transfer funds from my Swiss bank account to my Thai bank account, what document do I need to show?

It depends upon the bank you transfer your funds to. If the transfer is shown in your bank book or a bank statement as foreign transfer that will be accepted. If not you will need to credit advice from you bank to prove it came from abroad.

5 hours ago, Schorsch0815 said:

Does that mean that I will never be able to transfer the funds form Thailand back home?

No

If you have proof it was transferred into the country from abroad it will make it easier to transfer a large sum of money out of the country.

• Like 1