What happens to my pink ID & ID number if I'm removed from the yellow house book?

Hello,

I've been renting long term in Bangkok and I was able to get the landlord to add me onto the yellow house book (I'm the only one in it)... Once I was on the yellow house book, I got my pink ID.

The question I have is, if I move to another property, will my pink ID become void? I know that it will be almost impossible to get onto another yellow house book easily.

It's unclear if the yellow house book and pink ID are explicitly linked / come as a pair? I was rather hoping that the ID number is now with me "for life" but it will still display my old address until I update it somehow... I guess I can use it day-to-day but I'm worried if I lose my wallet, etc.

Could I, for example, go to the local amphur in Surat Thani (where I will move to) and update my address on the pink ID with a residency certificate (like I would with my driving licence)?

I think I already know the answer but I thought it was worth some second opinions!

You would need to return the Pink ID which will be destroyed.

If you're then entered into another house registration, you can get another Pink ID with the new address on it, but the number of card should remain the same.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

keep the pink card ; it was legally issued at the time; no expiry date; no name change; always valid.

new valid YB required only for Permanent Residency then Thai Citizenship.........no other need.........

I  think the pink cards are valid for 10 years.

I had one and wasn't asked to hand it back when I moved my yellow book. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

If you're then entered into another house registration, you can get another Pink ID with the new address on it, but the number of card should remain the same.

Not if it's issued in a different Province.

The Thai ID number includes the postcode of the issuing authority.

Just now, Tanoshi said:

Not if it's issued in a different Province.

The Thai ID number includes the postcode of the issuing authority.

The number is derived from the province and district of where you are registered (for the first time). It will always remain the same. It is the number under which you are registered with the Thai government and doesn't change.

• Like 2

If your moving to a completely different Province, you have two options.

1. Ask the Khet in Bangkok to remove you from the Civil register.

They may or may not request the TB and ID card returned, but they are now of little value elsewhere.

If the new landlord in Surat Thani agrees to allow you to use his address to register, then it's simply a new application.

2. Transfer your registration from the old Khet to the new Amphur.

The Khet will give you a form to take to the new Amphur, which is basically a change of address registered on the database. The new Amphur will issue a new TB and ID card.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Preacher said:

The number is derived from the province and district of where you are registered (for the first time). It will always remain the same. It is the number under which you are registered with the Thai government and doesn't change.

For Thais agreed, it's compulsory to register all Thais.

For foreigners it's voluntary.

My first Yellow TB was issued in Amnat Chareon. When I was relocating I surrender my TB and requested to be removed from the Civil register, thereby deleting my data.

I registered again in a new Province and received a new TB and new ID number.

Had I chosen to transfer my registration, only my address would have changed.

The difference being a Thai must be registered, and can only change their address.

A foreign can elect to be registered or not.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

8 years if under 60.

From 60 they have no expiry date, being valid for life.

12 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

new valid YB required only for Permanent Residency then Thai Citizenship.........no other need.........

If you have PR or Thai citizenship you must be registered in a Blue House Book.

16 hours ago, Neeranam said:

depends on your age, can't remember what age it kicks in at but my pink card is lifetime, yes I am an old fart

• Like 1

18 hours ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

keep the pink card ; it was legally issued at the time; no expiry date; no name change; always valid.

Pink ID card has no expiry date ONLY if you are older than 60. Otherwise it has to be renewed every 10 years.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TigerandDog said:

10 years not 8 if under 60

It may have been, but since at least 2014 ID cards are now replaced every 8 years.

The expiry date is now not 8 years from the date of issue, but to your birth date following the 8th year.

Similar practice to renewing driving licences that use your date of birth as a reminder.

33 minutes ago, blackcab said:

However you need the yellow book to apply for either.

I cannot confirm or deny that.

The only 2 foreigners I know with PR, obtained it long before the Civil Registration Act 2008 allowing foreigners to register, so Yellow Books weren't even around.

They had to register in their wife's Blue House book as a condition of PR.

1 hour ago, blackcab said:

However you need the yellow book to apply for either.

At the time I applied for PR you did not need Pink ID nor be entered in yellow book to apply, and from what I understand, that isn't needed for citizenship either.

You needed to provide address where you were currently living (along with a map, photos inside each room of residence, outside residence, etc.) but not even a copy of house registration or Pink ID.

1 hour ago, Tanoshi said:

I cannot confirm or deny that.

The only 2 foreigners I know with PR, obtained it long before the Civil Registration Act 2008 allowing foreigners to register, so Yellow Books weren't even around.

They had to register in their wife's Blue House book as a condition of PR.

Condition of PR was to enter into blue house registration after getting red alien registration book, after getting blue certificate of residence.

I have applied after 2008, and wasn't asked for Pink ID nor yellow house registration.

In fact I know someone who applied 6 months ago and wasn't asked for either of them.

On 5/4/2021 at 9:25 PM, tomazbodner said:

You would need to return the Pink ID which will be destroyed.

That is no strictly true. The block of 4 digits after the first digit is the ISO code for the registrar's office so if a new book is issued by a different registrar then the number should be different.

The other numbers 5 & 2 are personal so if issued by the same registrar the number should remain the same.

The last number is a checksum, a verification number often used in coding systems. 

On 5/4/2021 at 10:27 PM, Neeranam said:

That may well be the case but I suspect that when a yellow book is replaced the number, if not reused, is deleted from that particular register, which effectively would make the card invalid.

How much cross checking actually takes place is anyone's guess.

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It may have been, but since at least 2014 ID cards are now replaced every 8 years.

The expiry date is now not 8 years from the date of issue, but to your birth date following the 8th year.

Similar practice to renewing driving licences that use your date of birth as a reminder.

Not according to my District Office. They say it's 10 years

48 minutes ago, sandyf said:

That is no strictly true. The block of 4 digits after the first digit is the ISO code for the registrar's office so if a new book is issued by a different registrar then the number should be different.

This is also true for the numbers on the blue Thai ID card(dependent on where it was issued), but I don't think these numbers change when moving the housebook. Is this Pink ID card a National ID(no) or just the Yellow House book number?

13 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

This is also true for the numbers on the blue Thai ID card(dependent on where it was issued), but I don't think these numbers change when moving the housebook. Is this Pink ID card a National ID(no) or just the Yellow House book number?

I do not know if the numbers are actually changed or not. it would certainly be easier to retain the number if all the registers are held on a central database, but would have been a bit difficult when it was all held in ledgers. When I got married and built the house about 12/13 years ago, everything was done in ledgers.

The pink ID number must have some national recognition as it can be used for a driving licence and they can be done at any DLT.

I can remember going to the free mobile health clinic just after I got my pink card, I had been before with passport and yellow book, but this time the girl never batted an eyelid, just entered me on to the computer like everyone else. What was more surprising was everyone in the queue behind swarmed round wanting to have a look at this foreigner ID card.

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

I do not know if the numbers are actually changed or not. it would certainly be easier to retain the number if all the registers are held on a central database, but would have been a bit difficult when it was all held in ledgers. When I got married and built the house about 12/13 years ago, everything was done in ledgers.

The pink ID number must have some national recognition as it can be used for a driving licence and they can be done at any DLT.

I can remember going to the free mobile health clinic just after I got my pink card, I had been before with passport and yellow book, but this time the girl never batted an eyelid, just entered me on to the computer like everyone else. What was more surprising was everyone in the queue behind swarmed round wanting to have a look at this foreigner ID card.

They can't be used in any DLT. Yes, Thai people are only used to seeing migrant workers with these cards.