Over 99% of People in Bangkok Wear Face Masks in Public

webfact

79ce0246b75e2785885388e02dd1f1c4_small.jpg

By Woraprat Lerpaisal

BANGKOK (NNT) - A survey, by the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, and Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology (SIIT) at Thammasat University, shows that about 99% of people in Bangkok wear face masks in public.

Prof Dr. Thanarak Theeramankhong of SIIT said the survey had processed data from 11,894 people in 28 districts of Bangkok. The majority of people were wearing face masks correctly, while about 2 in 1,000 people did not wear them and about 4 in 1,000 people wore them incorrectly, as their masks did not fully cover their mouth and nose.

He added that the survey found 8 districts in Bangkok where 100% of the samples were wearing face masks in public. They were Yannawa, Minburi, Phasi Charoen, Phra Nakhon, Bang Khor Laem, Don Muang, Chatuchak and Khlong Toei.

The survey also found that people tend to not wear face masks on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. The wearing of face masks also tended to drop in the evening, compared to the morning period.

nnt.jpg

I am sure the percentage of people who wear a mask varies from area to area.

I don't often venture out nowadays but went to my local bank the other day. A whole group (about 8 - 10) of motorcycle taxi drivers sat talking. Only one was wearing a mask. None of the 5 or 6 street vendors were wearing masks,

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

That would tend to indicate that Thai intelligence drops during the day and has all but gone out the window by the weekend ?

And when there not on camera

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

A survey, by the Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovation, and Sirindhorn International Institute of Technology (SIIT) at Thammasat University, shows that about 99% of people in Bangkok wear face masks in public

S*** scared now it's out of control and no vaccines for the masses in sight, before it was optional.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

That would tend to indicate that Thai intelligence drops during the day and has all but gone out the window by the weekend ?

Everything is short term over here.

3 hours ago, petedk said:

I am sure the percentage of people who wear a mask varies from area to area.

I don't often venture out nowadays but went to my local bank the other day. A whole group (about 8 - 10) of motorcycle taxi drivers sat talking. Only one was wearing a mask. None of the 5 or 6 street vendors were wearing masks,

I agree with you that it obviously differs from area to area.

The other morning I walked to the market at about 7:30 AM. As I walked out of the condo building I noted that the of the 5 people in sight, 4 were not wearing a mask and 1 had a mask, but only covering his mouth. That surprised me and so I did a count while walking. Of the 61 pedestrians that I saw, only 37 were wearing their masks so that it covered both their nose and mouth.

I also noted a couple of pick-ups crammed with construction workers go by with hardly a mask in sight.
Too many people to count inside the market, but I did note that roughly a third of the market traders were not wearing their masks correctly.

Restaurants in Khon Kaen are takeaway only now, but in the market they have food sellers and a seating are where people were sitting and eating as usual. I suppose that as the buy their food from a stall and then take it to the eating area, that is considered takeaway??

Two evenings ago I saw that the food sellers that set up in the street and put out tables and chairs for their customers are operating the same as usual. Is that considered takeaway?

• Like 1

Restaurants in Khon Kaen are takeaway only now, but in the market they have food sellers and a seating are where people were sitting and eating as usual. I suppose that as the buy their food from a stall and then take it to the eating area, that is considered takeaway??

Two evenings ago I saw that the food sellers that set up in the street and put out tables and chairs for their customers are operating the same as usual. Is that considered takeaway?

Pretty much the same here.

There is a small slum community nearby where there are vendors or "restaurants" on both sides of the road. People buy food at the vendors, beer and whisky at the nearby shop and sit at a big table next to the restaurant and by the side of the road eating and drinking in full view of all passers by. No one wears a mask. If just one person gets infected, it will spread like wildfire amongst that little community.

• Haha 1

Belief in the usefulness of wearing a mask, believe in the mantra or just afraid of being fined an exhorbitant amount of money to comply when groups of scientists and doctors have clearly stated that masks serve to purpose whatsover and as Dr. Vernon Coleman states, can even be very harmful to your health. WE know this but who wants pay a fine?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, webfact said:

about 4 in 1,000 people wore them incorrectly, as their masks did not fully cover their mouth and nose.

Maybe, like me, these folk have to wear spectacles/glasses?? I have to wear reading glasses and using them with a properly fitted facemask means they steam up and I cannot see anything - for example price labels on supermarket items. So, I have to lower my mask to my chin when using my reading glasses. Do not worry all you covid-19 paranoid folk in Thailand, I no longer live in the country!