Thailand lures the rich as tourism revival hope fades

webfact

49 minutes ago, sirineou said:

A few minutes on line ? You must be new to Thailand.

Only about 21 years. been doing 90 days online for years, never been a problem.

People that jump to conclusions have no credibility.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I think this is a missed opportunity for something like the elite visa....join now, pay 5 years up front, AND get a free covid19 vaccination, just like the locals, regardless of your nationality.

2 hours ago, pagallim said:

I think of equal if not higher priority to attracting the 'HNW' individuals, is to retain and maintain the numbers of expats who either retire here or have families.   The last couple of years has seen a decline in these numbers for a variety of reasons, with onerous Immigration requirements being foremost.   There just isn't the replacement numbers anymore for those who choose to move on to pastures new, or 'check out' permanently.

Those on modest incomes/pensions will still inevitably make capital purchases when here (accommodation/furnishings/transport etc), as well as in the main stable monthly incomes that contribute billions of baht a year to the Thai economy.

Certainly during these times in many areas, it is the Expat population that is helping to sustain local businesses both Thai and Farang owned.

They have made it clear they DONT want that category tho.. The 50 - 80k a month expat ?? The writing is on the wall, thanks but no thanks.. 

HNW folks.. People who can show multi million baht in accessible cash accounts.. People who can show multi 100k per month incomes.. Red carpet.. 

The writing is on the wall.. They have been saying it for years, plan for it, dont howl and complain when the monetary amounts jump up by multiples not percentages. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Airalee said:

From the article

His task force is aiming to attract high-net-worth individuals – the same kind that wealth managers and investment bankers target – including an estimated 200 million retirees worldwide living off their pensions or savings.”

But....

As of December 2020, there were estimated to be 46.8 million millionaires or high-net-worth individual (HNWIs) in the world.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire

why go to Thailand when you can spend your money in the South France ,Thailand used to be fun ,easy visa one year ,Uk pound was at 70 to Thai Bt.  ,Thailand cheap fun ,good place to be ,now just memory  ,corvid is here ,not thai problem a world problem ,

so fare UK and Israel are leading the way in taking care of there people. ,lets see where we will be next year. , but look to  2023 ,

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Poet said:

Actually, vaccinated tourists won't care if the local population are vaccinated, and neither will these incoming tourists present any biological threat to the local population.

It would, of course, be good if the local population are vaccinated, but it has no bearing on the recommencement of mass tourism. The key factor is that all the incoming tourists are verifiably fully-innoculated.

Silly reasoning.. Vaccines are not fully effective.. So if the local population doesnt have herd immunity, then importing infections will infect the country again and again. 

So yes, it has everything to do with the local population achieving vaccination levels. 

1 hour ago, Poet said:

Yes, it essentially boils down to a very low level of intellectual ability among the departments being paid to think about this stuff.

If any of us were running Thailand as a business, with the aim of providing maximum employment and economic opportunity to the citizens, we would replace the entire visa system (tourist, education, marriage, retirement, business etc) with a free one-year visa waiver that could be renewed every year without limit and without needing to leave the country. Hell, I would make it renewable at 7-11.

Working on the basis that every foreigner contributes to the economy, you would maximise the number coming in but retain the right to boot anyone out if they cause trouble.

If the supposed problem of foreigners doing a runner on their hospital bills is an actual problem, I suppose you could insist that everyone coming in have insurance, but this complication would inevitably reduce the number coming in and I suspect that most hospitals are actually pretty good at collecting their money.

If you do insist on comprehensive insurance, okay, probably a good idea anyway, but it should also completely replace the current bank deposit scheme for marriage and retirement extensions.

In short: Make it easy to come and spend money in Thailand.

Reverse 2 years and Thailand had 40 million visitors to a 60 million population.. The powers that be dont want that !!! Even at the cost of economic expansion.. 

Whats the betting that June brings .... nothing.

It's actually a very good and honest article (click the link) giving insight into some of the issues of why ideas don't get approved here. 

32 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

Red Flag.  Everyone is here because they know it....

If you are struggling with 800k, you know there is a chance it might go to 8 million.  not unreasonable.  400k to 4  million.  possible.  

if you are "poor," you are going to get squeezed.  When a country makes it clear that money is EVERYTHING.....you have your answer.

Rich, line 1.   The rest, sorry closed.  

Sad thing is there are now "Jade billionaires" in Myramar who will be more welcomed than the poor falang.  

don't worry, we have a few more years...

Bang on.. They are making it CRYSTAL CLEAR !! 

Quoted and replied because I can only like it once.. Prepare for this future over the next couple of decades.. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Whale said:

Whats the betting that June brings .... nothing.

It's actually a very good and honest article (click the link) giving insight into some of the issues of why ideas don't get approved here. 

Agree.. The article is unusual in that it freely admits that the country is being held back by agencies within it for power reasons not ones that advance the country.. 

“Even the projects that the government would like to do, the Cabinet would like to do, everyone agrees with, the problem is the agencies themselves because this (the regulations) is where their power comes from,” she said.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

Reverse 2 years and Thailand had 40 million visitors to a 60 million population.. The powers that be dont want that !!! Even at the cost of economic expansion.. 

How many here at the same time though, 5m?

4 hours ago, sirineou said:

"The new visa package, which if all goes to plan will be announced in June, "

Well ,let's  see if anything comes out of this. At the very least eliminating the 90 day reporting would be a step in the right direction. 

The money that bent immigration officials get out of it maybe be a slight obstacle...

So what is the threshold for being "rich" for a farang in Thailand ??? My only reference point was my ex-TGF when I asked her what she thought was needed to be rich...she told me THB 60 million.  I wasn't about to tell her I exceeded that. And I will never tell any other Thai lady...let them think I'm of modest means and love me for my exceedingly charming personality and wit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Thailand said:

Might be a good idea to look to those long termers already here putting billions in to the economy.

That is something that is tangible not pie in the sky.

Don't forget, there are untold amounts of people living on the bones of their <deleted>, paying agents to usurp the financial requirements because they have no money, and no health insurance. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

The rich don't visit these kind of countries, that's what Monaco, Cayman Islands, and more are for.  

As long as they keep the blinders on nothing will work.  Only thing that works is, middle class tourist nomads and the regular retirees. 

And with 15 days locked up or requiring vaccines, it is not happening.   75% or more in the west don't want to take a vaccine for a manipulate plandemic with a 99.6% recovery rate.   

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

The offer this time is a 'free 'elite' limited edition keyring' !!! 

Only need to invest 50 million baht in a Thai account that can not be accessed for 3 years.. Or ever taken out the country.. Plus 3 special rounds of golf at only 10k per round discount, and a spa.. 

Good deal na ??  

I am getting so bored with "limited edition" keyrings. Can we make it a "limited edition" necktie, please? You know... in the shape of a noose, that would be perfect (and very symbolic, too).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kentrot said:

Along with the strict quarantine rules ...

and the ridiculous 90 day checks (I've lived here 18 years in our same house with my Thai wife and STILL have to report in like a convict on parole) ....

is a banking system which shows little regard for it's customers. 

My monthly pension arrived in Bangkok Bank last Friday on the last day of the month as usual. It is now the 6th day since then and they still have not gotten around to depositing it in my account. Granted this is a long weekend. However years ago this was an automatic transaction completed within hours. Now for some reason (we can only guess) it has to be checked manually by staff who don't work on weekends or any of the numerous holidays. Not world class service !

On the street outside my village half of the ATM machines have been removed and the other half are filthy and poorly maintained.

This is not the kind of service that will attract more self sufficient retirees.

Broken Atm Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

dont know where your living mate.

my transferwise transfers go from the UK to Krungsri and are in my account and showing cleared funds within around 5 seconds.!

just put your pension into transferwise and do the same as me

change to Krungsri

never had any problem with an ATM

25 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

HNW folks.. People who can show multi million baht in accessible cash accounts.. People who can show multi 100k per month incomes.. Red carpet.. 

The figures you're quoting by no stretch of the imagination are HNW individuals.   Multi million pounds/dollars yes, and the same for 100k baht/month (less than the average monthly income in the UK).

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

Might be a good idea to look to those long termers already here putting billions in to the economy.

That is something that is tangible not pie in the sky.

Agreed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Poet said:

Actually, vaccinated tourists won't care if the local population are vaccinated, and neither will these incoming tourists present any biological threat to the local population.

It would, of course, be good if the local population are vaccinated, but it has no bearing on the recommencement of mass tourism. The key factor is that all the incoming tourists are verifiably fully-innoculated.

You do realise that Vaccinated people can get the virus, can carry the virus, can spread the virus and can die from the virus.

There is no vaccine which is 100%

1 minute ago, RR2020 said:

You do realise that Vaccinated people can get the virus, can carry the virus, can spread the virus and can die from the virus.

There is no vaccine which is 100%

No worries they will be able to afford the 5 star Hospitel stay.