Thailand lures the rich as tourism revival hope fades

webfact

I guess if you have to keep your job by trying to convince us that this diatribe is serious and real, have at it hoss. Have at it. Judging by the management gurus in the asylum, I don't think I'm a player. Coroni will have the final say. 

Edited by Magenta408
typo

Stamp out corruption, make it easier for foreign people to reside full time, allow outright ownership of property without having to find loopholes in the law and STOP moving the goalposts! Only then will Thailand attract the right sort of long term tourism.

• Like 2

The sooner these incredibly genius people are kicked and driven hard out of running this land is the time Thailand will have a rebirth of the land of real smiles. For us it is the land of hold our breathe while having the feeling of being kicked in the male organs.

i am really reading this Cr.p here High rollers millionaire tourists..what planet are these morons on ..ok you got 5 million quid in the bank can choose anywhere in the world Would you choose Thailand ..not over friendly to tourist but love their money hoops to jump thru with what ever the government sees a ripping you off place not the same as years ago getting very low on the choice of any tourist let alone millionaire Thailand should look after its bread and butter tourists retired people who don't spend it in great sums but spend everyday perhaps these idiots should visit some of the dirty back street areas and ask them if they would holiday here as a millionaire amongst the ever piling rubbish..Oh well only in LOS

• Like 1

Not this same old story about Foreigners again..... 

Mr. Peter Jensen,

This is not news, nor is it worthy of reporting.  More akin to reaching and drivel. 

Give a us a good college effort and journal up.... 

Not hope, pray, speculate or make conjecture on : He said, she said they said.....

9 minutes ago, Harveyboy said:

i am really reading this Cr.p here High rollers millionaire tourists..what planet are these morons on ..ok you got 5 million quid in the bank can choose anywhere in the world Would you choose Thailand ..not over friendly to tourist but love their money hoops to jump thru with what ever the government sees a ripping you off place not the same as years ago getting very low on the choice of any tourist let alone millionaire Thailand should look after its bread and butter tourists retired people who don't spend it in great sums but spend everyday perhaps these idiots should visit some of the dirty back street areas and ask them if they would holiday here as a millionaire amongst the ever piling rubbish..Oh well only in LOS

I had an old Swedish friend, sadly departed. He'd lived in Thailand for about 12 years but often tallked of moving to live in Spain, a HNI.

6 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

The US is having issues getting sufficient people to take the vaccine… issues that seem to be about more than politics (for once), and other countries are reporting similar results.  Wife just had second jab today at a place set up for 2,000 people per day that can only get 500 to come in.

Doesn't the UK have a take up rate of over 95 percent and they seem to be doing well now?

6 hours ago, Poet said:

Actually, vaccinated tourists won't care if the local population are vaccinated, and neither will these incoming tourists present any biological threat to the local population.

It would, of course, be good if the local population are vaccinated, but it has no bearing on the recommencement of mass tourism. The key factor is that all the incoming tourists are verifiably fully-innoculated.

I've been vaccinated and most certainly do care if I'm going to any unvaccinated country. Not sure where you got that bit of information from?

Edited by mike1967
Updated
  • Haha 1

Forget the few rich tourists. That will never happen. What the country needs is high visitor numbers of all categories: retirees, expats, remote workers and, yes, tourists of all types. That means making the place accessible and affordable for the many. Maybe start by binning all visas for a year or two and controlling entry by longer term visa exemptions? 

It still has not hit home to these idiots that the only way out of this mess is to vaccinate and to vaccinate now en masse. Instead we keep reading about these silly little schemes!!! Thailand has truly been let down by these buffoons... they gave themselves a really good opportunity to solve this crisis by the way they handled the first wave, but instead of building on it, they sat on their <deleted> patting themselves on the back and did pretty much nothing. We kept reading about x amount of vaccines being secured over the many months but none of it materialized... now they are opting for the vaccine that pretty much no other country wants... the chinese one. Sad sad sad.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaigrifter said:

Well if I hated the place as much as you seem to, I'd be out of here, I wouldn't live in a country that makes me so miserable.

Try putting up with their BS for 2 and a half decades then get back to me Grifter. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, impulse said:

Thailand lures the rich with yet another big, juicy nuthin' burger.

If they wanna attract anybody, they need to get their population vaccinated so they can do away with the quarantine.  Until the quarantine requirement goes away, nothing will work.

AND!!! owning your own land and property, run your own business without the ludicrous restrictions. Basically what foreign investors are afforded in most other countries..... Thailand's higher echelon are terrified of loosing their grip on the country and its wealth. Establish a working middle class and see how it changes!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poet said:

Yes, it essentially boils down to a very low level of intellectual ability among the departments being paid to think about this stuff.

If any of us were running Thailand as a business, with the aim of providing maximum employment and economic opportunity to the citizens, we would replace the entire visa system (tourist, education, marriage, retirement, business etc) with a free one-year visa waiver that could be renewed every year without limit and without needing to leave the country. Hell, I would make it renewable at 7-11.

Working on the basis that every foreigner contributes to the economy, you would maximise the number coming in but retain the right to boot anyone out if they cause trouble.

If the supposed problem of foreigners doing a runner on their hospital bills is an actual problem, I suppose you could insist that everyone coming in have insurance, but this complication would inevitably reduce the number coming in and I suspect that most hospitals are actually pretty good at collecting their money.

If you do insist on comprehensive insurance, okay, probably a good idea anyway, but it should also completely replace the current bank deposit scheme for marriage and retirement extensions.

In short: Make it easy to come and spend money in Thailand.

When I first went to Thailand I could get a 15 month visa with a 90 day border run by just getting a letter from my family saying they would agree to pay my repatriation fees, if needed. I used to rent an apartment full time, bought a bike in my name and lived in Thailand 9 months out of 12. The visa rules have become so ridiculous I ended up giving everything away and just arriving on a 30 tourist visa and going 2 or 3 times a year. Any visa now has to show paid accommodation in advance. Covid rlules change all the time and it seems you have to be ready to leave inside a few days, just in case. Along with multiple PCR tests, quarantine, lockdowns, curfews, hospital admission for a positive Covid test, banks that can't be trusted (if you did want the expense of making a retirement visa), the threat of imprisonment for breathing incorrectly, insane visa rules (even down to 60 day visa) let alone the filth, dual pricing, corruption, crazy roads, etc, etc,.....why does Thailand think it's such an appealing destination? Lose some face and make the place more accessible would be a start.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Poet said:

Working on the basis that every foreigner contributes to the economy, you would maximise the number coming in but retain the right to boot anyone out if they cause trouble.

and yet no where in the world does this happen. If I could, I would move to the EU, on a "permanently extendable 1 year Visa", I would love to spend a few years in Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy etc.   Currently they kill people trying to get in

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/may/05/revealed-2000-refugee-deaths-linked-to-eu-pushbacks

from the article, they killed 2000 last year and employed illegal tactics, I wonder who's gone to jail over that "murderous rampage" ?

EU member states have used illegal operations to push back at least 40,000 asylum seekers from Europe’s borders during the pandemic, linked to the death of more than 2,000 people,

Certainly Australia doesn't allow it, does your home country ?  I'd go so far s to suggest every country on the planet thinks long term non citizens are garbage. Here in Australia we think our own citizens lives are so worthless, we forbid them from returning home and will jail them if they try from India. Apparently quarantine is not an option but jail is.  There is no way they would ever counternance allowing people in on a 1 year visa where they can stay forever as long as they don't break the law, I am sure Government would be fine with it but the citizens would revolt, and the Government that did would be booted out at the next election never to be seen again.

It just sees a little mean spirited to call out Thailand alone on this.

Edited by BumGun
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, BumGun said:

and yet no where in the world does this happen. If I could, I would move to the EU, on a "permanently extendable 1 year Visa", I would love to spend a few years in Portugal, Spain, Greece, Italy etc.   Currently they kill people trying to get in

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/may/05/revealed-2000-refugee-deaths-linked-to-eu-pushbacks

from the article, they killed 2000 last year and employed illegal tactics, I wonder who's gone to jail over that "murderous rampage" ?

Certainly Australia doesn't allow it, does your home country ?  I'd go so far s to suggest every country on the planet thinks long term non citizens are garbage. Here in Australia we think our own citizens lives are so worthless, we forbid them from returning home and will jail them if they try from India. Apparently quarantine is not an option but jail is.  There is no way they would ever counternance allowing people in on a 1 year visa where they can stay forever as long as they don't break the law, I am sure Government would be fine with it but the citizens would revolt, and the Government that did would be booted out at the next election never to be seen again.

You can hardly compare asylum seekers with retirees.  

How many of those asylum seekers are coming with ฿65,000/month to pump into the economy?

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Airalee said:

From the article

His task force is aiming to attract high-net-worth individuals – the same kind that wealth managers and investment bankers target – including an estimated 200 million retirees worldwide living off their pensions or savings.”

But....

As of December 2020, there were estimated to be 46.8 million millionaires or high-net-worth individual (HNWIs) in the world.”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millionaire

You don't need a million in cash to have a pension that pays many thousands of dollars per month and will fund a nice lifestyle for decades to come. I think that accounts for the extra 150 million people.

I guess it helps the have a million or two sitting somewhere as well.

I would consider purchasing an nice fancy and expensive house if only I could own it.

But I can't, so I don't and I never will.

If I do ever purchase something it will be worth no more than about 10% of what I've got available.

• Like 2