Transfers using Wise.com

Anyone else having an issue with transferring money here using Wise?

I have had a borderless account for 3 or 4 years now.

Every month I send money from my home bank account to NYC Wise.

This morning. i get a message from Wise saying they need more information before they can send the money I requested.

They want to know who sent the money to my NCY Wise.......ME...They want to know my full name...first, middle and last. They want my birthdate and....where I reside.

My address with them is listed as USA, but that isn't available on the drop down list. I have to enter ...Thailand.

They said "1 to 4 business days" to have an answer.

I know, it's only been a few hours.... and I hope this is a one off problem.

I remember when Bangkok Bank New York started asking these kind of questions.....

It's not a fake message. I logged into my account and sent the required info. 

Got a message from someone at Wise. 

Saying this was something they did on occasion???

They will not release the money I deposited into the Borderless account until the 8th....<deleted>!

Same account I have used for over 3 years. 

I just did a transfer using the Non Borderless route.... said money will arrive today or tomorrow.

maybe, ..hopefully...it's just some stupid error....and  doesn't effect anyone else.

Thanks for the replies guys.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

They will not release the money I deposited into the Borderless account until the 8th....<deleted>!

I just did a transfer using the Non Borderless route.... said money will arrive today or tomorrow.

maybe, ..hopefully...it's just some stupid error....and  doesn't effect anyone else.

was it a larger amount? extra checks are required if it triggers a limit, probably money laundering checks

1 hour ago, JohnOFphon said:

What is a borderless account, and why would one need one.

In the past we traveled in and out of Thailand every year and carried money in, but now that I am retired, and I am here long term I need to learn the best way to term I need to learn new tricks.

20 minutes ago, sirineou said:

What is a borderless account, and why would one need one.

In the past we traveled in and out of Thailand every year and carried money in, but now that I am retired, and I am here long term I need to learn the best way to term I need to learn new tricks.

It is a debit card where you can hold  different currencies for payment. That enable you to pay in THB here or say $US in the States or many other countries. You convert an amount  your home currency to whatever foreign currency you need and the Wise rates so hence get good rates of exchange. Makes it easy to pay by credit card anywhere in the local currency. You should go to https://wise.com/ to find out more. Hope it helps.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Excel said:

It is a debit card where you can hold  different currencies for payment. That enable you to pay in THB here or say $US in the States or many other countries. You convert an amount  your home currency to whatever foreign currency you need and the Wise rates so hence get good rates of exchange. Makes it easy to pay by credit card anywhere in the local currency. You should go to https://wise.com/ to find out more. Hope it helps.

No sir. I have been sending money from my Nevada USA bank to my Wise Borderless account and then on to Thailand for over 3 years.

Nothing has changed on my part. Bank account numbers...routing...etc....all the same.

First week of the month, every month, year after year.

Now....they want to know "who is sending money to me? The age,,,(mine)...of the sender, and where does the sender (..me.)..reside.

Since no one else has responded about having this problem, I assume something happened between my home bank and Wise in NYC.

Nothing I can do but wait.

20 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

No sir. I have been sending money from my Nevada USA bank to my Wise Borderless account and then on to Thailand for over 3 years.

Nothing has changed on my part. Bank account numbers...routing...etc....all the same.

First week of the month, every month, year after year.

Now....they want to know "who is sending money to me? The age,,,(mine)...of the sender, and where does the sender (..me.)..reside.

Since no one else has responded about having this problem, I assume something happened between my home bank and Wise in NYC.

Nothing I can do but wait.

I think you replied to the wrong poster

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Now that I am retired, we are planning to spend time traveling, between, the US, Thailand, Greece and Italy where I have family, and friends, such a debit card can come in handy. 

Thank you, I would look into it, 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, petermik said:

Will I need to set up a new payment to Wise through my bank or are the account details/transfers to the old Transferwise account just the same?

All my account details are still there on the renamed site, as well as the details of those I've transferred to, together will the details of all my previous transactions.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kidneyw said:

From UK it is usually easy and instantaneous, but yesterday it took eleven hours, for some reason.

In over three years, I have NEVER had an instant transfer, Wise to Bkk Bank. 

I started a transfer on Tuesday morning at 07.07 am, Bht 50,000 from my Borderless. The transfer was started immediately. Arrived, as usual, at 14.07 yesterday. 

Doesn't really matter as I do not rely on an instant transfer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kidneyw said:

From UK it is usually easy and instantaneous, but yesterday it took eleven hours, for some reason.

Depends, my Kasikorn account settles in seconds, Bangkok Bank can take hours\days due to their extra processes to class as Intl

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

Where are you registered for residence? USA or Thailand? Maybe they simply want to do a check on your actual tax residence.

However, TransferWise should usually already know this information when you register an account.

I sent 2,200 USD to the Wise Borderless account I have been using for over 3 years. Sent on Tuesday,,,4th.

Money received into the account.

They sent me a message asking for who sent me the money???? Really!

If this is about tax reasons...then why is no one else reporting a hold up?

Yes, I use an American address....I don't remember why that is.....never been an issue.

Email this morning, 6th..said they would pay out MY money on the 10th...after 2pm. 

What,,,4 business days plus Sat and Sun???

<deleted>

Never had a problem before. Changed their name to Wise....should be Wise Crapper as far as for they way they handle my money!

16 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Did UK wise account to Kasikorn moments ago, took 3 seconds ! This seems consistent now with Kasikorn account.

I too have a KBank account although previously always used Krungsri (Wise acc)

Am I correct in saying that you need to effect a transfer before 10:00am to receive the monies in hrs or seconds?

2 hours ago, anchadian said:

Am I correct in saying that you need to effect a transfer before 10:00am to receive the monies in hrs or seconds?

Actioned a transfer (Wise to Kasikorn) at 09:52 this morning.  Arrive in my account 09:53.

Kasikorn is the way to go.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, anchadian said:

I usually do mine around 3-4pm Thai time, This being 9-10am Uk side and of course during banking hours here. Works in seconds everytime like this, in my experience.

• Like 1

So, most reports here say :no problem"

Great.. 

Now, Imagine you send them 2,200 dollars of your money.

They receive your money.

Then tell you they need more time to convert your dollars to baht.

More time equals 6 days.

All this time, your money is in their bank. 

It shows up as being there when I log in.

Now, how are you going to feel. Mai Pen Rai???

Nice to hear I'm the only one getting f...ed here.

10 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

So, most reports here say :no problem"

Great.. 

Now, Imagine you send them 2,200 dollars of your money.

They receive your money.

Then tell you they need more time to convert your dollars to baht.

More time equals 6 days.

All this time, your money is in their bank. 

It shows up as being there when I log in.

Now, how are you going to feel. Mai Pen Rai???

Nice to hear I'm the only one getting f...ed here.

I hear and understand your concern and frustration, it certainly warrants further explanation on the US side of things. It would stop me using them if I encountered this typs of issue without a reasonable and full explanation and assurance it wont become "the norm".

26 minutes ago, JohnOFphon said:

Does it show foreign transfer?   FTT or FLT...I forget which.

I need it to show it came from outside.

For my monthly income statement to show IM.

Cannot answer that as requesting a statement with Kasikorn online it doesn't show you today's transactions.

Will let you know tomorrow unless some other poster can tell you.

Edited by anchadian

24 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

I usually do mine around 3-4pm Thai time, This being 9-10am Uk side and of course during banking hours here. Works in seconds everytime like this, in my experience.

Strange but today did a transfer at 9:40 am this morning, yet Wise states it will reach my bank account Monday pm.  1st time that has happened to me as I still have the email from them 18 months ago stating that 10 am Thai time was the cut-off for receiving it same day in Thailand. Maybe things are changing ?

6 minutes ago, Excel said:

Strange but today did a transfer at 9:40 am this morning, yet Wise states it will reach my bank account Monday pm.  1st time that has happened to me as I still have the email from them 18 months ago stating that 10 am Thai time was the cut-off for receiving it same day in Thailand. Maybe things are changing ?

I tend to not put too much in the notice that pops up immediately on transfer. The most recent of mine said "within 6 hours" in reality it hit the account in seconds.