Pattaya: Thai man's car - and ONE MILLION baht in cash - goes up in flames

webfact

1pm.jpg

Picture: Sanook

Fire services and police were called to the area near Makro on Sukhumvit Road, South Pattaya at lunchtime yesterday when a car burst into flames in the middle of the road.

Jirayut, 24, said he noticed smoke and stopped. He tried to retrieve a bag containing his phone and one million baht in cash as flames quickly took hold.

Earlier he had left his home in Chaiyaphreuk Road heading for the bank to deposit the money. 

Firemen took ten minutes to bring the blaze under control but by then the car - and the cash - was almost completely destroyed. 

Sanook said they felt sorry for him in their headline. 

logo.thumb.jpg.58700f12f9218149b3e2f82126b72e4d.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2021-05-05

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

The cash would stack up to about 12 centimeters. Easy to to hold in one hand. So, pretty much any old plastic bag big enough to hold a large Chang.

You have never had 1 mil baht cash in your hand have you. 555

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sherwood said:

You have never had 1 mil baht cash in your hand have you. 555

The most I ever held in my hand at one time was 600,000 baht when I bought a used Honda Jazz. Otherwise I try never to carry big cash. Ya never know, my car might burn up.

But a few times over the years I have carried a wrapped 100,000 and it seems to me that was about 1.2cm, thus 12cm for a mil. 

So why the laugh? Does 12cm seem too short? Too tall?

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

Don't have to drive one to know what brand new price is 2021 

Screenshot_2021-05-05-19-08-28-572_com.android.chrome.jpg

That purchase was in 2008 for a 2007 model with extras like leather seats, remote locks, passenger airbag, and more. Not to mention very low mileage. Loved that car but after several years things changed and I needed a highway car.

3 hours ago, mahjongguy said:

But a few times over the years I have carried a wrapped 100,000 and it seems to me that was about 1.2cm, thus 12cm for a mil. 

Lot of envy shown in this thread, probably because most of them have never owned 1 million Baht, other than in debt.

If you claim that 100.000 Baht staple is only 1.2 cm high, then I doubt you have ever seen 100K together

I just measured it for you with a digital caliper, and a staple of 100 x 1000 Baht notes = approximately 15 cm, depending on how hard you press the caliper

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Susco said:

Lot of envy shown in this thread, probably because most of them have never owned 1 million Baht, other than in debt.

If you claim that 100.000 Baht staple is only 1.2 cm high, then I doubt you have ever seen 100K together

I just measured it for you with a digital caliper, and a staple of 100 x 1000 Baht notes = approximately 15 cm, depending on how hard you press the caliper

There's a difference between owning 1Mbht, and carrying around 1Mbht in notes.

I did have 100,000gbp in my hand (mostly 20s) when I emptied my UK bank account to move out here.

And that certainly didn't seem all that big a package.

Edited by BritManToo

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's a difference between owning 1Mbht, and carrying around 1Mbht in notes.

I did have 100,000gbp in my hand when I emptied my UK bank account to move out here.

And that certainly didn't seem all that big a package.

I don't know the thickness of Gbp notes, but I just measured a 100K staple of Thai bank notes, and I consider a digital caliper pretty accurate