Thailand reports 2,112 new coronavirus cases, 15 deaths

webfact

27 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

Please support your comment by the number of mass testing, not hospital presentation testing. As for deaths they will continue to fluctuate. Rediculous. As for last months high that was only a couple of weeks ago. Again real mass testing will give you a real number. Once again believe what you will. 

I just know what numbers we're given...and neither deaths or new infections are exponentially growing...in fact they are off substantially from the highs of this third wave. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, dinsdale said:

You are kidding. Have you looked. 117 to 98 is a big jump for the worse in a short period of time. Are you really denying this? 

Did I "deny" anything... I said if the countries and their case numbers are bunched together, there might not be much difference between being 98 and 117. You posted the ???? so why don't you tell us? Statistics can hide as much as they reveal.

Edited by onthedarkside
flame comment removed

3 hours ago, anchadian said:

https://www.nationthailand.com/in-focus/40000549

The National Health Security Office (NHSO) has decided to provide up to THB400,000 in compensation to those who have been permanently disabled or for deaths caused by Covid-19 vaccines. The amount was set by the NHSO committee on Monday.

NHSO caps compensation for vaccine death, injury at THB400,000

Wow. That will do nothing to inspire those who are worried about taking the vaccine because of side effects. The government is so worried about them it has set money aside for compensation!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Rhacsyn said:

https://apnews.com/article/seychelles-herd-immunity-mid-march-eba7c404b4530e9cc15d2e5dd1df6f58

If you read correctly you will note that it was firstly Sinopharm and not Sinovac and secondly, more importantly, the majority of the vaccine doses were from AZ

“We have a lot of good friends that love us,” Vanessa Lesperance, a medical officer in the Indian Ocean island nation, told the AP last month. “That made it easier for us to get a steady supply of vaccines.”

Man!!!  Where's the love for Thailand?  How bout we get some of those donated vaccines?

Of course, I guess it's easier to get some COVID vaccine love when you've got a population in need of 70,000, as opposed to Thailand's 70 million!  ????

FWIW, I don't think I've heard of ANY vaccine donations to Thailand... Although, I don't know what the terms were/are for all the Sinovac vaccines China has been sending in.... Has that ever been made public?

Buying or freebies or maybe a commitment to purchase a few more Chinese refurbed submarines....?

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, bipper said:

Okay then if everyone tells everyone known outside Thailand this is how foreigners are treated (when Thais are been treated fairly in the west) then millions of baht will be lost on tourist revenues in the future. I'll make sure of a few!!

How much for a shot again?

I know if it wasn't so serious it would be hilarious.

48 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Five field hospitals to be set up with a total of 500 beds (from the BP)

Thanks.  I wonder why some of the form members that read serious posts have to always use the laughing emoticon, are they really that insecure when it comes to reality

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cadan said:

why would you think that Asians spent more then Western ?  Have you have counted the number of average stay per visitor ? Europeans dont fly her for the weekend. The average is at least 10-14 days. 

Just read the statistics published in the matter. Westerners are second to Asia in total tourist spending.  

36 minutes ago, Mayhem11 said:

The number of positive cases is misleading. Testing is not a panacea. Mortality rate is a better measure.

Mortality rate among the general population, or the infection fatality rate?

In either case, Thailand is going quite well.

34 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Maybe the increase is from this........................

Chonburi Public Health officials stated that a sharp increase of cases being traced from family members and home gatherings were being found, warning residents that the majority of cases were now at home and not businesses.  The vast majority of cases are asymptomatic and many people did not know they were infected, officials added.

https://thepattayanews.com/2021/05/05/110-cases-of-covid-19-in-chonburi-today-checkpoints-with-documents-canceled/

Fortunately, people are not going out much. So, although members of households may get infected, most will be asymptomatic, and we just won't hear about their infections. Only the small number of seriously ill will make the official reports.

14 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

This is exactly what some of us said would happen, virus spreads asymptomatically and quietly until it’s too late. Clusters in this context mean nothing, and concentrating on them is not the best way forward.

Thailand is looking more like it is just starting the uptick on main curve and everything seen so far will seem inconsequential in a few weeks.

so spoke a doomsayer

Which begs the question as to what facts are you basing your conclusion on?

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2021/05/05/thailand-fights-to-contain-covid-19-surge-in-bangkok/

THAILAND FIGHTS TO CONTAIN COVID-19 SURGE IN BANGKOK

By

Associated Press

May 5, 2021 4:00 pm

BANGKOK (AP) — Health officials rushed to vaccinate thousands of people in Bangkok’s biggest slum on Wednesday as new COVID-19 cases spread through densely populated low-income areas in the capital’s central business district.

The government of Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-o-cha is facing mounting criticism for its handling of a surge that began in early April.

In this Tuesday, May 4, 2021, photo, a health worker administers a dose of the Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine to residents of the Klong Toey area, a neighborhood currently having a spike in coronavirus cases, in Bangkok, Thailand. Photo: Anuthep Cheysakron / AP

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

Fortunately, people are not going out much. So, although members of households may get infected, most will be asymptomatic, and we just won't hear about their infections. Only the small number of seriously ill will make the official reports.

The percentage of true asymptomatic people is not most, a lot of those will be pre symptomatic. The rule of thumb is the one third of infected people remain asymptomatic and the rest will develop some symptoms even if mild. Its all down to testing and contact tracing to find them before they infect elderly relatives and stop the silent spread

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

On the way up to the next peak.  And since we have supposedly already peaked according to some doctor who couldn't find the bottom of a paper bag, this must be a new wave, or maybe these folks need a lesson on testing and finding cases instead of talking out their pieholes. 

Then to add more to the issues ahead, this article just popped up in my viewer for the vaccination efforts to only include Thais and not foreigners.

Vaccines reserved for Thais, not expats - Public Health Ministry | Thaiger (thethaiger.com)

The Government confirmed that foreigners who had registered via the Mor Prom app or the LINE app would not be offered vaccination in the June or July roll out.

The issue of foreigners being able to access Covid vaccines in Thailand is further complicated by the government’s not allowing private companies or hospitals to independently import vaccine doses after changing their mind several times on the matter.

Stay safe folks.

To hazard a guess, this looks like an effort to protect and promote a one way ticket for the Astra doses, when they somehow get to roll out 65 million free doses. I hope they have got the raw materials supply sewn up as India has to produce Astra very quickly now. 

32 minutes ago, ourmanflint said:

I know you really don't get this at all, but this virus behaves in a predictable way, the same way it has done everywhere else in the world. 

Really?

Are you really suggesting that the progression of the epidemic is exactly the same in every country? Tell me how the progression of the epidemic in China or Vietnam has anything to do with the future of the epidemic in Thailand?

2 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

There is a guy who REALLY not see forest from trees! If infected rate is 10 to 30% from test result.

Many country think its critical if rate is over 1%! 

5% is the positivity rate that makes decision makers worried. 30% positivity would be scary if it came from random sampling, but it was 30% because of the May 3 holiday. 

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

With the closures and more people being laid off of work I would have to agree with you.  Exports, we are being told are growing, are they false stories or real.  Inflation, when it starts will be the tell all.  Covid has definitely played its part in Hotel closures until now October.  Maybe a few will make money as a Hospitel.  But I see the numbers more than likely continuing upwards, at least here in Bangkok.  We are now surrounded by clusters here in Sathorn, and as they grow so will the cases in Bangkok.  They may slow in other areas outside of the major metropolitan areas, but unless they kick the testing up nationwide to 100k a day they will never truly know the totality of this.  You would hope that they would want all people vaccinated in this country, but with todays article stating Thai nationals only and foreigners later you have to truly wonder what the end game is.  We are stockpiled up for at least the next 4 weeks here at the condo, and only need to order what we go low on and have it delivered.  The next 2 weeks will be a tell tale sign of whats to come.  My GF's family in Myanmar now has Covid, and so does the rest of the village.  Getting medication is not easily doable with the fighting between the Karen Militia and the Myanmar Military.  Many are fleeing Myanmar and this will only add to the spread of the virus here in Thailand as they filter across the borders.  They can not stop them all from entering unfortunately.  As I have been saying, stay safe folks. 

Vaccination now is critical. The Indian mutation is ripping through Nepal now. I wouldn't be surprised if it's in Bangladesh already, but there aren't many reports from there re: the strains present now. Our second wave came from Banhladesh, then Myanmar (which is in a bad state as you noted), then to Thailand. We may only have 2-3 months before it's here. There are border crossers being caught every day or so, so I think it's inevitable. 

25 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Details about proactive testing in the Khlong Toey community between 27 April and 4 May. Green is negative results and red is positive for each day. So far, 154 people (6.01%) tested positive

https://twitter.com/ThaiNewsReports/status/1389902348747632643

That's not too bad, considering they are targeting areas with known infection. It does suggst that more people do need to be tested though. Samut Sakorn recorded much higher numbers, as it was ciculating for much longer before symptomatic infection was detected. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Please support your comment by the number of mass testing, not hospital presentation testing. As for deaths they will continue to fluctuate. Rediculous. As for last months high that was only a couple of weeks ago. Again real mass testing will give you a real number. Once again believe what you will. 

There was “mass testing” in Klong Toey over the last week, resulting in a 6% positivity rate. Too high, but still not too bad. Anyway, that’s the real number for the worst hotspot in Thailand.

Edited by Danderman123