Best places in Thailand to see the night sky?

Hal65

Looking at this map it appears there are some fringes on the North and West that have little to no light pollution at night, is that correct? https://www.lightpollutionmap.info/#zoom=4.94&lat=16.7604&lon=101.7338&layers=B0FFFFFFTFFFFFFFFFF

I'd like to see what a starlit sky looks like for once. I am also open to taking a boat although that would raise costs and make this trek doable less often. 

My best guess (from Pattaya) would be the national park areas in Chantabhuri or Khao Yai up northeast.

Be aware that the weather/clouds might spoil the fun at this time of year.

Don't ask where there is reliable clear sky at this time, I don't know.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many details do you want to see?

In the village of my gf, which is not even 200km away from Bangkok, the night sky looks pretty good.

But that is obviously a relative thing depending how much is good enough for you.

Hard to say, would you say there are 50 stars or 500+ where you are?

30 minutes ago, Hal65 said:

Hard to say, would you say there are 50 stars or 500+ where you are?

I am not in her village. I visit it seldom. But I as far as I remember I would say I see at least 1000 little white lights in the sky at night when I am outside of her house. I am sure if I would drive i.e. a kilometer away from the village I would see at least 10 times as many stars.

Personally I would just think about any road in your area which is in part in an area without houses or industries. With  few direct light sources maybe 1 km around you you should be able to see the night sky. Then decide if you want to see more and how much you have to travel to do that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

How many details do you want to see?

In the village of my gf, which is not even 200km away from Bangkok, the night sky looks pretty good.

But that is obviously a relative thing depending how much is good enough for you.

I think you will find too much light pollution wherever you are in Thailand due to the high concentrations of people in certain areas and the Industrial facilities.

One of my most cherished memories is of the Night Sky in Kenya whilst on Safari There years ago.

Not a living soul for hundreds of Kilometers so the Sky was " Pure "

If you have to try and see the night sky in Thailand, try the huge Sanctuary Zone to the East  of Chachansao

• Like 2

I remember 50 yrs ago driving through places like Wyoming and seeing what looked like a billion stars in the sky - shooting stars not uncommon and have wondered the same... 

I have been told of a mountain park on the border of Lampang and Nan province that is known for a magnificent night sky and they have camping... also one friend told me in Chiang Rai on the border by the Mekong river... 

I am waiting until after rainy season... 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hal65 said:

I'd like to see what a starlit sky looks like for once.

After COVID try the desert in Australia on a new moon night, probably best place in the world to see stars, you can actually see the milky way.! It's amazing.!

As for Thailand, sadly too much smoke/pollution or moisture in the air.

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In the village of my gf....

the night sky looks pretty good.

Romantics words for this cloudy thunder and stormy day. ????

Edited by Tarteso

1 hour ago, macnmotion said:

the trick is to find a place where the mountains block some light pollution,

In my experience, the trick is to avoid agriculture, not light pollution. In Thailand, unfortunately, agriculture is synonymous with smoke. And this is where the mountains come in. Mountainous regions have less agricultural activity, i.e. less smoke in the air.

53 minutes ago, Nakdontree said:

In my experience, the trick is to avoid agriculture, not light pollution. In Thailand, unfortunately, agriculture is synonymous with smoke. And this is where the mountains come in. Mountainous regions have less agricultural activity, i.e. less smoke in the air.

I was speaking specifically of using the mountains in Khao Yai to block areas of local light pollution (e.g. floodlights from fleets of night safari trucks, or resorts with enough lighting to turn night into day). Your point about considering agriculture/smoke when choosing a location in Thailand, however is a good one. 

Edited by macnmotion
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

I think you will find too much light pollution wherever you are in Thailand due to the high concentrations of people in certain areas and the Industrial facilities.

Unfortunately true.

I live upcountry, some villages around.

But don't think that a short ride with the bike would bring you to any place real dark.

Some 18 years ago on holiday I could watch shooting stars and satellites from the balcony.

No more! They have set up the cheapest of neon bulbs as street lights.

Everything lit up except the street.

Fabulous night sky views in Khao Yai and there are both campsites and cabins available (need to pre-book)...that is referring to actually inside the park and not the commercial hotels/resorts etc  on the access road.

But rainy season is not best for this, wait for the rains to end.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sheryl said:

Fabulous night sky views in Khao Yai and there are both campsites and cabins available (need to pre-book)...that is referring to actually inside the park and not the commercial hotels/resorts etc  on the access road.

But rainy season is not best for this, wait for the rains to end.

And of course time your trip during a new moon!