Thai health ministry denies they are giving free jabs to expats - Thais come first

webfact

1 minute ago, europeannomad said:

Unequal treatment of Thais and resident foreigners is a kind of racial discrimination. Racial discrimination is often around in Thailand, be it at national parks, teaching salaries, school books, hospitals, and now even for the Covid vaccine. It's such an unbelievable shame and it shocks me completely.

I feel really pity for the foreigners that lived in Thailand for a long time and contributed much to the country. 

Nobody truly believed things would be any different did they? I mean, we pay 10 times more to get into a national park to stare at a goldfish pond for 5 minutes. Is anyone surprised we're at the back of the queue when it comes to vaccines? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rayw said:

find it deplorable the rip off chargees being talked about

I haven't seen any remotely reliable figures being mentioned...where have you seen these ripoff charges?

Whle I find it deplorable that Thailand currently sees fit to exclude foreigners from any vaccination programme, I would be entirely content to be charged a reasonable sum for adimistratuin of the vaccine.

PH

• Like 1

"Damage Control, Damage Control.
Blow the main ballast!!!
LIE LIE LIE (errr. Dive Dive Dive).
Con!  Get us below Social Media depth charge depth.
Jettison the Media Talking Points from torpedo tubes 1 and 3 and prepare for silent running!"

<see...submarines are handy and needed!>

5 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is disgusting, plain and simple.

In one fell swoop, Thailand has proven that it is fifty years behind the rest of the world.

Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing.  With all the double talk and misinformation it would not surprise me if the bottom fell out of prospective retirees and tourist numbers, why would the average persons bother with Thailand at all.  Why not be honest and make a new flag that says "Third World and proud of it"!!!

• Like 2

This announcement seems to overlook the rasons for vaccination.

I would say that everyone in the groups outlined should be vaccinated regardless of their nationality. If living in Thailand Covid can't read their passport and transmission continues as usual.

Now making expats pay or contribute is a different matter...... they should have insurance anyhow

3 hours ago, Mango Bob said:

The Health Ministry had lied and lied to us.  He should be fired.  Thai's that live in America get the vaccine at the same time as Americans do.   Yet here the Health Ministry has looks at us as second class citizens here.  Just like wearing a mask.  He tells everyone to wear a mask but I have seen many pictures of him without one.  It is time for his cremation.   

Amen Bob, it may cost me to fly back to the U. S. where as you mention, everyone gets vaccinated regardless of where they’re from or who they are. Thailand’s government has turned into a bigoted hate filled organization, so sad. “Land of Smiles,” hah. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim walker said:

Immigrants should be the last to get vaccinated they can get vaccinated in their own countries Thailand citizen's must be the Thai government's first concern.  

If I am not wrong, the vast majority of foreigners here are on non-immigrant visa ???? I am not aware of immigrant visas issued by the Thai government.

Cambodia and Laos have been vaccinating expats based on their regular prioritization criteria, so it isn't just Western countries that give residents equal access regardless of nationality. It's shameful that the Thai government chooses to stand out as xenophobic once again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It is about time that the World Health Organization got involved with and sorted out this so called government.

I would imagine that they are disgusted by their treatment of foreigners over this pandemic.

How about you all letting the WHO know what exactly is happening , and your Embassies too . Everything is worth the try especially for the foreigners who need it urgently. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jonclark said:

In 6 - 9 months, when a covid vaccine is as common in any hospital as an influenza or MMR jab, anyone and everyone will be able to go and get one.

Except those who haven't survived,  and that will be quite a few of TVF.

Oh, BTW make that 12-15 months

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, joecoolfrog said:

Im sorry but exclusion , on the grounds of race alone , does not constitute an ' on need ' basis.

Agreed, which is why race is not being used to define " need'  Supplies and stocks of the vaccine are limited so only those at risk (age,  occupation, underlying conditions,) are getting the vaccine. As vaccine stocks rise the 'at need criteria' will become broader and more people can access it. 

Pretty simple really. 

• Like 1

I predict the ramp up of Thai vaccine production will not go as well as planned.  This is how factories work.  Ramp-ups take time.  Then all of us will have an issue for sure.  And I truly hope that I am wrong about this.

2 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Agreed, which is why race is not being used to define " need'  Supplies and stocks of the vaccine are limited so only those at risk (age,  occupation, underlying conditions,) are getting the vaccine. As vaccine stocks rise the 'at need criteria' will become broader and more people can access it. 

Pretty simple really. 

I think you've misunderstood. No matter what your age, occupation or underlying condition you're not getting a jab if you're a foreigner.

Edited by edwardandtubs
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

you take care of your own first especially considering conditions here, everyone else, go home if you want it now..

..can't go home..can't get vaccinated.

• Haha 1

Luckily I am in Laos. Foreigners are being treated the same as locals with regards to vaccinations. It is only logical as foreigners are just as likely to pass covid on as locals - actually more so as more likely to move about!! Thailand, as usual, not at all farsighted - blinkered, as usual.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, edwardandtubs said:

I think you've misunderstood. No matter what your age, occupation or underlying condition you're not getting a jab if you're a foreigner.

Sorry mate but this is just incorrect. 

This is a national vaccination program for all residents of Thailand. It has just been very clumsily explained by the Ministry of Health. 

Ask youself this questions. Do Thai politicians have an awareness and understanding of their own governments policy's and directives? Or do they say things without thinking things through? 

Now revisit the topic armed with your answers to the above question

2 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

Now just imagine MY home country would explicitly exclude expat foreigners - especially Thais, of which we have hundreds of thousands! - from our national free vaccination program "until enough surplus vaccine is available".

Then guess who would very noisily protest through its embassy against such a blatantly racist policy.... that's right, the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs would.

But not to worry. NOBODY is being excluded in my home country. Not even Thai expats. Though they surely would deserve it, if only to get a little "dose" of their own government's racist medicine to help them understand what it feels like.  

it's a disgrace mate.

how anyone can justify their actions is beyond me.

It is truly atrocious behavior.

Surely Covid cannot tell if someone is Thai or an Expat....Bottom line is Thailand needs to vacinate everyone who is vunerable regardless of their country of origin, otherwise beds will start to fill up.

It is a shame this government did not start buying quicker as they are now at the back of the queue.

1 minute ago, tandor said:

..can't go home..can't get vaccinated.

then hunker down and wait. Some on this site believe because they're (fill in your nationality and skin color here) they should get the vax before others that were born here. Also, this goes to show how accurate the info on this site is - it's definitely buyer beware and has been for a very long time (except perhaps immigration information)..

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Misterwhisper said:

Now just imagine MY home country would explicitly exclude expat foreigners - especially Thais, of which we have hundreds of thousands! - from our national free vaccination program "until enough surplus vaccine is available".

Then guess who would very noisily protest through its embassy against such a blatantly racist policy.... that's right, the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs would.

But not to worry. NOBODY is being excluded in my home country. Not even Thai expats. Though they surely would deserve it, if only to get a little "dose" of their own government's racist medicine to help them understand what it feels like.  

Because your country has already most likely vaccinated a huge chunk of people. 

Thailand on the contrary can't even get those in risk vaccinated, let alone ordinary people, let alone foreigners. 

It's not a matter of racism really, it's a matter of utter failure in the vaccine rollout plan...

4 minutes ago, jonclark said:

Sorry mate but this is just incorrect. 

This is a national vaccination program for all residents of Thailand. It has just been very clumsily explained by the Ministry of Health. 

Ask youself this questions. Do Thai politicians have an awareness and understanding of their own governments policy's and directives? Or do they say things without thinking things through? 

Now revisit the topic armed with your answers to the above question

You seem to know more about it than the ministry of public health. Where's your evidence?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

This had to happen. I've seen the same thing occur when I worked in a notable Thai institution. Farangs think they've found a loophole to acquire the same benefit as Thais, and a few weeks later, word comes saying, no. Nothing to be done about it. I expected this and said as much four days ago. It is really, really terrible that some expats who need to be in the front of the line will not get the vaccine. Stupid and immoral. But I could easily see someone going up for their "appointment" and being pulled out of line and told to go home. My rule: if it looks like the authorities are trying to exclude you, they are trying to exclude you, and they will exclude you. 

Quite frankly, is it too much to expect the authorities to make a binding statement? It is up to the authorities to decide who and when  should and can get the vaccine, however it is vital to know,so that other plans can be made. All I ask for is a clear and binding statement, one that doesn't change from one day to the other.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Caldera said:

Cambodia and Laos have been vaccinating expats based on their regular prioritization criteria, so it isn't just Western countries that give residents equal access regardless of nationality.

I am married to a Thai woman and I like other foreign men married to Thai women, we are all considered to be Temporary Visitors only a notch above Tourists.  As such, we are not considered "residents" but simply free-loaders.
All different for foreign women married to Thai men.  Then you're seen as a step away from citizenship and a beloved jewel and flower of a Thai family and deserving of Thai healthcare. Shots will be duly provided no doubt.

• Thanks 1