Thai health ministry denies they are giving free jabs to expats - Thais come first

webfact

2 minutes ago, SiSePuede419 said:

Feel free to come back to the USA to get your vaccine. Should be a breeze. They're begging people to get them now.

I did one month ago. Was searching sites multiple times a day. (I wanted Pfizers so made it a little harder but) now all channels are WIDE OPEN.  Second dose next week.

2 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

Ireland are vaccinating people by age. Oldest 1st.

Currently people aged 50 - 59 are registering. Race or nationslity doesn't matter.

We don't have much vaccine. We have a percentage of the EU allocation.

https://www2.hse.ie/screening-and-vaccinations/covid-19-vaccine/user-guide/

Thanks for sharing. Not talking about race or nationality I'm talking about tourists/ expats tbh that link doesn't say that anyone is eligible. It says you need a government number and if you don't have one you are eligible to register. Not doubting your info it's just not definitive 

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I have a theory about what's going on based on what I know now.

It's just a theory and it could easily change tomorrow based on new information.

This is about politics more than about vaccine supplies.

Thai people are blaming the government for the economic misery from the pandemic and not preventing the third wave and yes of course being slow in the vaccine program, and they may get restless, so the government deflects blame to foreigners. Why wouldn't they?

A tactic as old as the hills anywhere.

I think the core "hint" here is the word FREE.

Not so much that some high risk expats may get jabs "early" or relatively early but mostly about the FREE part.

So here's  the theory. 

Forget FREE.

The vast majority of expats always expected to pay anyway, no biggie, we're very used to being charged differently. 

But being greatly DELAYED in getting jabs could be a life and death issue for HIGH RISK expats.

So this is not a NORMAL situation for such expats. 

The Thai government knows that too, and they also know if they push  high risk expats too far to the back of the bus. there will start to be pushback from diplomats, etc.

So how to thread this needle and get the best of both worlds? 
PRIVATE HOSPITALS. 

High fees for vaccines.

Make these expats pay through the nose (we mostly don't care!).

Can still get the political win by not giving us jabs free.

From the popular Thai POV, this is all OK as long as we're forced to pay and pay a lot.

Expats can still get the jabs without waiting an awfully long time (hopefully).

But, of course, we shall see. 

Still waiting for all the links on countries with little to no vaccine vaccinating tourists/ expats on par with citizens.  But yes private hospitals should be allowed to import and sell as much vaccine as they can get their hands on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

I have a theory about what's going on based on what I know now.

It's just a theory and it could easily change tomorrow based on new information.

This is about politics more than about vaccine supplies.

Thai people are blaming the government for the economic misery from the pandemic and not preventing the third wave and yes of course being slow in the vaccine program, and they may get restless, so the government deflects blame to foreigners. Why wouldn't they?

A tactic as old as the hills anywhere.

I think the core "hint" here is the word FREE.

Not so much that some high risk expats may get jabs "early" or relatively early but mostly about the FREE part.

So here's  the theory. 

Forget FREE.

The vast majority of expats always expected to pay anyway, no biggie, we're very used to being charged differently. 

But being greatly DELAYED in getting jabs could be a life and death issue for HIGH RISK expats.

So this is not a NORMAL situation for such expats. 

The Thai government knows that too, and they also know if they push  high risk expats too far to the back of the bus. there will start to be pushback from diplomats, etc.

So how to thread this needle and get the best of both worlds? 
PRIVATE HOSPITALS. 

High fees for vaccines.

Make these expats pay through the nose (we mostly don't care!).

Can still get the political win by not giving us jabs free.

From the popular Thai POV, this is all OK as long as we're forced to pay and pay a lot.

Expats can still get the jabs without waiting an awfully long time (hopefully).

But, of course, we shall see. 

Or the theory of survival of the fittest falangs. Weeding out some falangs is not all bad? 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, starky said:

Still waiting for all the links on countries with little to no vaccine vaccinating tourists/ expats on par with citizens.  But yes private hospitals should be allowed to import and sell as much vaccine as they can get their hands on.

Private hospitals if they get doses are supposedly going to get them from the government and won't be allowed to independently import. Did you miss that news day? 

I don't accept your characterization of Thailand having little or no vaccine. They are ramping up to have a lot of vaccines in the coming months. So I'm not taking your bait. Maybe someone else wants to play with you. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, starky said:

It's not a characterisation Thailand currently does have little to no vaccine. If in coming months  Thailand has the "lots" of vaccines your espousing and you if you are in what could be considered vulnerable bracket and at that time are still being denied vaccine you will have a genuine grievance.  But none of those things are currently true so you have nothing to complain about.

You are very adept at deflecting questions that require evidence. At this stage besides the usual flip flopping statements by the Thai government there is not one falang that has been disadvantaged to a greater degree any more than a Thai citizen in a similar position who also have no access to vaccine. 

Yup, if they can choose to whine they will. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AndyFoxy said:

Out of interest, are you a vaccine man or not? 

Andy:  I strongly believe in vaccines.

In the case of Thailand, I would like to wait until I have a choice of which vaccine to take.

As long as I abide by the recommended prevention practices, I see no problem in being patient.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TaoNow said:

Andy:  I strongly believe in vaccines.

In the case of Thailand, I would like to wait until I have a choice of which vaccine to take.

As long as I abide by the recommended prevention practices, I see no problem in being patient.

Good attitude ????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

This is disgusting, plain and simple.

In one fell swoop, Thailand has proven that it is fifty years behind the rest of the world.

18 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Good to know that racism and discrimination are alive and well here. And here I thought compassion was taking a leading edge. Not!

On days like this you know your place in Thailand. 

Well, I've lived here quite a few years now,  could go  home if I wanted, (and I sure do "want") but stay for  the family here's sake. As  for racism here, it exists, not so much out the  backblocks,  but certainly when  you get near large towns and cities. But hey, think back, when you were in your own country and you came across a obvious  foreigner, did you react positively or not, I know I didn't,  and  I  would class my self as ethnocentric, rather than a racist.  Live and let live . Just  this latest fiasco was to be expected, not merely because of the mindset of the powers that be here, but their innate stupidity and ridiculous sense of superiority that exists in a country  that ranks  very far down on world listings. I will wait for my jab, when and if there is ever a "surplus"  and expect to have to pay some grossly inflated price for the honour.     As an addendum,   back  home,  ALL persons over the age of 50 are now receiving FREE    inoculations. ....  Notice the words ALL   and FREE  Anutin.

• Thanks 1

Hey Wavehunter,   wrong again, Australia,  and several other countries are now giving inoculation to ALL   residents,  over the age of  50, for starters,,,,and for FREE.    :perhaps you could drop a note to that retard Anutin and   let him  know also.

3 hours ago, inThailand said:

Or the theory of survival of the fittest falangs. Weeding out some falangs is not all bad? 

Seriously!  Many men will be leaving all their fortune to their Thai families.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Funny Australia gave 60 million Dollars to Thailand to aid there vaccine programme, yet the Thai Government have refused Australian Expats a vaccine before a National. All country's who are sending aid or thinking of off loading spare Vaccines should look closely who the vaccine is being given too, if there expats are being discriminated then the aid and vaccines should be stopped untill the expats are vaccinated at the same time as a national. It is now May and so far only 1% of Thais have been vaccinated. How long do you think it will take the Thai government to vaccinate its full population, and then like posted 2 jabs will be needed plus a booster. Expats will not be inoculated next year. Even if you pay privately you will be shafted and given the cheap Chinese vaccine that no country wants. Wait till you renew your visa they will tell you you will need to be vaccinated and because you have not been vaccinated you will be thrown out of Thailand. If you try and leave to get your vaccine in your home country the Thai government will simply say sorry you need the Thai vaccine so you will be shafted that way.

Sadly, Australia is not alone. Once you live abroad, they give a rat's ass about you.

I don't mind paying for the jabs. If not available in Thailand for foreigners, then such services in other countries will profit. Thai baht can be exchanged and spent abroad too.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

Racism in the extreme. Question - what, if anything at all, are our respective Ambassadors doing to protest against this discriminatory action of the Thai Government. 
Many countries have Dual taxation agreements, dual trade agreements etc etc. is it now time to threaten with a dual vaccination policy- along the lines of if it’s done to our nationals in Thailand then the same treatment to thai nationals in our home countries? Just a thought. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Funny Australia gave 60 million Dollars to Thailand to aid there vaccine programme

Actually it was 68 million Baht or about 2.8 million dollars. However still far 2 much considering both governments don't care about Aussies here in Thailand.

18 hours ago, pseudorabies said:

As disgusted as I am by this (if I was Thai I'd be embarrassed by this discrimination that could cost lives) I feel like I owe the Thai government a debt of gratitude -  Considering how the US vaccinated immigrants, both legal and illegal, along with the general population I actually feel, for the first time in several years, pride in being from the US.  After the last five years I never thought that would happen again.

(I'm sure that many of you from other western countries feel the same sense of pride and for good reason).  Yes we are better than this.

Im right there with you. For many years ashamed to say i am an american. But now im not and proud to say i am. Lets face facts. US government did its best for the pandemic. But as americans we stand up for what we believe in regardless if legal or not. Was only so much our government could do. Look at covid cases in america back in january was around 300k day and as of april down to around 30k a day. We are vacinating as many people as we can no matter who you are. Centers set up all over evem drive through and first come firsr serve. So if got there before ran out you got one. If i could afford to go back i would. But with no home nothing and only 1100 month impossible to do. I habe bad credit as well so no way id get approved for an apartment much less even meet income requirements to get 1. And with no family or anything id have no one to help me to get a place either. So i really dont have a choice but to stay here.  

• Like 2

13 hours ago, rayw said:

Agree with this.  But we should as expats living here full time, or as migrant workers, be on the same list as everyone else here based on urgency of need ie in order of vulnerability. When our rightful time comes in the queue we shoudl be offered the vaccine (and ideally a choice of a few) but with the proviso we must pay the true at cost based price for it.  Nothing wrong with that and no need to be ripped off by the private hospitals, or what I find obscene and wrongful to be able to buy your way to the front of the queue when there is not enough vaccines to go around anyway. 

So what is wrong with that fair and balanced idea hmm?? 

Nothing wrong with a fair and balanced system but a couple days ago they shouted double price structure, now this. Always something to complain about. The private health care is based on the American business system and has one goal, making money. Example, my 2 boys were born in a local Thai hospital with with C section, cost 3000 baht each, 2500 was an envelope. The same thing in a private hospital in Chiang Mai can cost up to 200.000 each.  If I return to my home country in Europe I have to wait at least 6 months. A refuge will be helped instantly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

Well, I've lived here quite a few years now,  could go  home if I wanted, (and I sure do "want") but stay for  the family here's sake. As  for racism here, it exists, not so much out the  backblocks,  but certainly when  you get near large towns and cities. But hey, think back, when you were in your own country and you came across a obvious  foreigner, did you react positively or not, I know I didn't,  and  I  would class my self as ethnocentric, rather than a racist.  Live and let live . Just  this latest fiasco was to be expected, not merely because of the mindset of the powers that be here, but their innate stupidity and ridiculous sense of superiority that exists in a country  that ranks  very far down on world listings. I will wait for my jab, when and if there is ever a "surplus"  and expect to have to pay some grossly inflated price for the honour.     As an addendum,   back  home,  ALL persons over the age of 50 are now receiving FREE    inoculations. ....  Notice the words ALL   and FREE  Anutin.

I responded very positively. My best friends/cloest were from africa,japan, and china. Heck i was chasing after the japanese girl instead of white american girls for a relationship. Even as a kid i prefered foriengers over americans to assoiate with. I just found them far more interesting to be around. 

21 hours ago, JonnyF said:

So having paid significant amounts of income tax every year for the last 15 years, I go to the back of the queue for the vaccine.

I can't even pay for it at a private hospital because the government wants to make money from shady deals on domestic vaccine production.

Great job Thailand. A new low.

Yes doing volunteer work over the years to help on Doi Suthep and at the temple handing out food over last years Covid, and can’t even register to pay for the vaccine, I don’t expect or want it free.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

Most (the vast majority) would be prepared to pay, if we were accorded the same priority as our Thai counterparts.

I think you will get your shots, but not for free as most tv member would love. Most farang are better treated than the locals when they arrive at the hospital. In the past some (private) hospitals paid kickbacks to emergency units to bring in the right (wealthy) farang and refused Thai unless wealthy. THai would have to show money before they would start. If I remember well they changed it into a law (1997) and now hospitals can not refuse emergency patients.

More examples of the uniquely buffoonish national character of the country. You cannot find many countries who are so disorganized and childish. 

Where are all the Thailand cheerleaders? They've been quiet lately. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1