Thai health ministry denies they are giving free jabs to expats - Thais come first

webfact

On 5/5/2021 at 9:10 AM, jonclark said:

I understand your frustration (after 20+ years of living here). But try not to be bitter. For developed countries to lower their standards so they align with Thailand's way of working (and thinking), would only be a backward step but would serve to vindicate and reinforce the poor standards that Thailand currently demonstrates.  

Do you think that would be a good thing? 

Yes, but I don’t accept your premise that it represents a lowering of standards. What it does is focus the mind of the Thai government. And if they are in the UK and they post something derogatory about the Queen, we should jail them.

3 hours ago, WaveHunter said:

To be very clear, we were talking about undocumented people who ILLEGALLY flooded across our southern border recently, overwhelming the ability of border officials to screen them for Covid. 

It was not what I understood from your first posts in which you stated that all other countries were giving priority to their own citizen, but I may have missed so e intermediate posts.

So if It's only about illegal immigrants, it could be that you are right, at least for administrative reasons.

But in this case, how is it relevant comparison to the case of Thailand and expat legally residing there?

On 5/5/2021 at 11:23 AM, John Drake said:

This had to happen. I've seen the same thing occur when I worked in a notable Thai institution. Farangs think they've found a loophole to acquire the same benefit as Thais, and a few weeks later, word comes saying, no. Nothing to be done about it. I expected this and said as much four days ago. It is really, really terrible that some expats who need to be in the front of the line will not get the vaccine. Stupid and immoral. But I could easily see someone going up for their "appointment" and being pulled out of line and told to go home. My rule: if it looks like the authorities are trying to exclude you, they are trying to exclude you, and they will exclude you. 

Simple solution...I went on Lazada and purchased a 100 tab bottle of Ivermectin for dog/cat. before the pummeling I expect I researched very well and Ivermectin is Ivermectin. From my pharmacy I can get a box of 12 tabs for 1210 baht or on Lazada a bottle of 100 (which arrived today) for 88 baht plus I nebulize Pulmicort anyway as I have COPD. Don't believe me. Do your research. Ivermectin is not only a treatment for COVID it is a good prophylactic..

23 hours ago, TaoNow said:

Why are all you posters so worked up about vaccine availability?

Aren't you practicing primary prevention in your household and when you go outside?

What have you got to fear by waiting a few months until the vaccine situation clarifies?

Until then, pipe down please.

Oh I see, its perfectly fine and primary prevention is an acceptable measure that stops you getting the virus, I wish it was that easy.

On 5/5/2021 at 11:45 PM, starky said:

On race, or residency or citizenship? Totally different questions. how many of the Australians trapped in India will be vaccinated before citizens? Is there evidence of any country giving jabs to tourists before citizens were vaccinated? Honestly don't know just asking. Before you play the race card would like to see how many other countries with very little vaccine would be giving it to expats before their own people. 

This of course argues for Embassies taking care of their nationals in countries badly affected.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 2:04 AM, SiSePuede419 said:

Feel free to come back to the USA to get your vaccine. Should be a breeze. They're begging people to get them now.

Others have figured out that such a trip would take two months. 

On 5/6/2021 at 2:54 AM, Jingthing said:

I have a theory about what's going on based on what I know now.

It's just a theory and it could easily change tomorrow based on new information.

This is about politics more than about vaccine supplies.

Thai people are blaming the government for the economic misery from the pandemic and not preventing the third wave and yes of course being slow in the vaccine program, and they may get restless, so the government deflects blame to foreigners. Why wouldn't they?

A tactic as old as the hills anywhere.

I think the core "hint" here is the word FREE.

Not so much that some high risk expats may get jabs "early" or relatively early but mostly about the FREE part.

So here's  the theory. 

Forget FREE.

The vast majority of expats always expected to pay anyway, no biggie, we're very used to being charged differently. 

But being greatly DELAYED in getting jabs could be a life and death issue for HIGH RISK expats.

So this is not a NORMAL situation for such expats. 

The Thai government knows that too, and they also know if they push  high risk expats too far to the back of the bus. there will start to be pushback from diplomats, etc.

So how to thread this needle and get the best of both worlds? 
PRIVATE HOSPITALS. 

High fees for vaccines.

Make these expats pay through the nose (we mostly don't care!).

Can still get the political win by not giving us jabs free.

From the popular Thai POV, this is all OK as long as we're forced to pay and pay a lot.

Expats can still get the jabs without waiting an awfully long time (hopefully).

But, of course, we shall see. 

This does not explain the delay in putting in vaccine orders for private hospitals. Now that the infection situation is getting serious, the Moderna story gives the embassies an alibi for not having reported the truth to their governments, i.e. that nothing has been done to arrange vaccinations for foreigners, even in private hospitals. Smoke & mirrors.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, placnx said:

This does not explain the delay in putting in vaccine orders for private hospitals. Now that the infection situation is getting serious, the Moderna story gives the embassies an alibi for not having reported the truth to their governments, i.e. that nothing has been done to arrange vaccinations for foreigners, even in private hospitals. Smoke & mirrors.

Yes there are new twists and turns to consider every day.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 5:43 PM, TaoNow said:

Why are all you posters so worked up about vaccine availability?

Aren't you practicing primary prevention in your household and when you go outside?

What have you got to fear by waiting a few months until the vaccine situation clarifies?

Until then, pipe down please.

The concern of many is no doubt that if proper vaccines are still not ordered, when will they ever be delivered? This is not a question of a few months.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fromas said:

Vet use drugs have a different purity, different grade.

same as chloroquine, the one for humans is not the same as the one they use for fish. Anyone taking animal pharmaceuticals is asking for problems

4 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Every western nation has not distinguished between foreigners and its own citizens.

Says everyone if your talking about the US and the UK who have so much vaccine they don't know what to do with it I agree. Now post any links of any of all the Western nations you describe that have little to no vaccine like Thailand that have vaccinated tourists/ expats before or at the same time as their own citizens.......

Not talking about foreigners I'm talking about tourists before citizens I have not seen any evidence of any. 1 person mentioned Ireland and the procedures there were identical to Thailanf so I wait for any other examples ..

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, starky said:

Says everyone if your talking about the US and the UK who have so much vaccine they don't know what to do with it I agree. Now post any links of any of all the Western nations you describe that have little to no vaccine like Thailand that have vaccinated tourists/ expats before or at the same time as their own citizens.......

Not talking about foreigners I'm talking about tourists before citizens I have not seen any evidence of any. 1 person mentioned Ireland and the procedures there were identical to Thailanf so I wait for any other examples ..

To be fair, early on one did have to prove residency in the county in the usa, so it's a subtle discrimination similar to what Thailand is doing with the pink id card.

That means you needed an id with an address local to where you are getting the shot or a similar mail addressed to you there.

It's not just a clear walk in, no questions asked. Requirements keep changing, may be available at airports or other ways by now as more vaccine becomes available.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DerbyDan said:

To be fair, early on one did have to prove residency in the county in the usa, so it's a subtle discrimination similar to what Thailand is doing with the pink id card.

That means you needed an id with an address local to where you are getting the shot or a similar mail addressed to you there.

It's not just a clear walk in, no questions asked. Requirements keep changing, may be available at airports or other ways by now as more vaccine becomes available.

Early on (and possibly even now) they were working out the distribution of doses to various areas. How much they needed or could use up on a daily basis had to be worked out.  People would come from out of county if their county was lagging behind and mess up the numbers in the short term.  My son had to go two counties over from his crowded county to get a shot earlier.  It's a tangled web but seems to be working OK. 

15 hours ago, Surelynot said:

That is quite a revelation..........

That "Revelation" meaning there is ZERO difference between Ivermectin sold from a pharmacy or sold for worms in animals.

But as usual here any comment is followed by smart ass insults showing who people really are...

And surprisingly you only have 144 posts... Usually the snips come from someone with 5000+ posts...You're getting a good start there buddy....????

Edited by armadillo215

5 minutes ago, armadillo215 said:

That "Revelation" meaning there is ZERO difference between Ivermectin sold from a pharmacy or sold for worms in animals.

But as usual here any comment is followed by smart ass insults showing who people really are...

And surprisingly you only have 144 posts... Usually the snips come from someone with 5000+ posts...You're getting a good start there buddy....????

Screen Shot 2564-05-08 at 05.03.40.jpg

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, armadillo215 said:

You usually find the snowflakes on here have less than 200 posts until they start to recognize comments are harmless ribbing and not out and out attacks on their delicate egos.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, armadillo215 said:

there is ZERO difference between Ivermectin sold from a pharmacy or sold for worms in animals.

Pharma grade ivermectin in my fridge, if the day comes for off label use.

Be careful, vet grade and pharma grade are two standards. You may get impurities. I wouldn't risk it.

20 hours ago, AgentSmith said:

Because even people following the rules to the letter can still get infected. And while infection rates are still relatively low here this can easily change. And I have relatives here who are 70+ who I really like to give much needed protection because for them in the long run it's a matter of life and death.

I got very worked up over foreigners being cut off from all vaccines and I still am. Vaccination is vital. And sure I can wait a little while longer but if the government closes the door for us falang once again I am definitely reconsidering my future in this country. Being blown off at a public hospital with 2 elderly people by my side after asking if they can please register for a jab is not something I wish to experience again.

One thing has changed forever. Diplomacy from my side is over and it won't return. Those smiles are over and done with.

AgentSmith:  That is a good response, and one that all of us should consider. 

From an epidemiological standpoint, if you have a closed population (like Thailand is mostly for now) then ALL people at elevated risk of Covid-19 should be vaccinated -- regardless of citizenship, ethnicity, or whatever.   

It only makes sense since that would protect the surrounding Thai community as well.  I think the Thai Ministry of Health recognizes this given their communicable disease control measures in communities of non-Thai migrants in border areas. 

However, if there is the perception among health workers that there won't be enough vaccines to go around, that could be a key obstacle to opening up access to all in need. 

If I were in the government, I would blast the message every day that there will be enough vaccine to go around.  Assuming they can live up to the promise which I think they can.

On 5/8/2021 at 11:07 AM, Surelynot said:

You usually find the snowflakes on here have less than 200 posts until they start to recognize comments are harmless ribbing and not out and out attacks on their delicate egos.

Well....I don't know but with 6200 posts you kind of prove my point....