Thai health ministry denies they are giving free jabs to expats - Thais come first

webfact

Private Hospitals should be allowed to import ANY vaccine approved by the WHO.

This would take the burden off the Thai State.

Any surplus can be offered to citizens of Burma, Cambodia or India currently in Thailand as expats or illegal migrants.

Note Chinese Covid vaccines are not currently approved by the WHO for their global distribution program.

Edited by Derek B
typo

before everyone starts bashing the Thai govt...

first let start with who published the false news to begin with...

err um ????????????  ☝️

When will these muppets realize that there is allot being discussed and nothing is official until its official...  dont imply anything is official from what you here in some back soi...

2 minutes ago, Derek B said:

Private Hospitals should be allowed to import ANY vaccine approved by the WHO.

This would take the burden off the Thai State.

Any surplus can be offered to citizens of Burma, Cambodia or India currently in Thailand as expats or illegal migrants.

Note Chinese Covid vaccines are not currently approved by the WHO for their global distribution program.

The Chinese vaccines are not approved by me for sticking in my arm too (I'm too old anyway).

The problem is where would these vaccines be coming from, pretty well every production facility is sold out for months? The potential for fake / expired / faulty supplies is massive, at least the government procured stuff should be ok.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Minime said:

I think all UK citizens here should email our Ambassador for Thailand (Brian.Davidson2 @ fcdo.gov.uk)   and express our disgust at this blatant discrimination, after all the UK is offering free test and vaccines to all Thai nationals residing in the UK and that is a fact.

Thank you Minime for the above email address.  I have today sent an email to Mr Davidson requesting that he registers his strong protest at this decision, which surely is blatant rascism, which would be banned in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, WaveHunter said:

As regrettable as that will be, it is inevitable that some people will die no matter what roll out strategy is used.

True......call me Shirley......but I would prefer one that minimizes deaths......crazy I know.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Any Falang who thought that they would be treated on an equal basis to any Thais has been delusional.

Actually it depends on the who for the foreigners. For most in the high up in the ruling party of all departments no. But I do know some well placed people and business factory owners who I am well accepted. Never liked foreigners using the Thai word Farang. Just doesn't sit well. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

Thank you Minime for the above email address.  I have today sent an email to Mr Davidson requesting that he registers his strong protest at this decision, which surely is blatant rascism, which would be banned in the UK.

Screen Shot 2564-05-05 at 09.21.50.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Your honor, I rest my case. We are indeed second class citizens. 

Perhaps ex-pats should be given a bit more credit, in this formula? We do bring in alot of stable income.  Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit.

By comparison, an average ex-pat spends how much per month? I would say most of us spend 50,000 to upwards of 100,000 baht a month. I know I do. No value in that? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, holy cow cm said:

Actually it depends on the who for the foreigners. For most in the high up in the ruling party of all departments no. But I do know some well placed people and business factory owners who I am well accepted. Never liked foreigners using the Thai word Farang. Just doesn't sit well. 

Whether it sits well or not, you are what you are in the eyes of all Thai..... A Farang

If you are not a Farang in Thailand, what are you ?

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, whiteflight said:

In 6 months time a lot of people will have died who did not have to die.
That may be an "acceptable loss" to you, it is not to me or to those who have no choice

because there is currently no vaccine available while an outbreak rages.

Thailand, unlike many other countries, did NOT make any major purchase agreements

with the main vaccine providers, as you can tell by Thailand not being able to start general vaccinations of even high risk groups until June.  That is something to be outraged about, as well as about your callous disregard for human life.

Please read all my previous post before editing and paraphrasing otherwise you seem rather uninformed.

My first post is on page 3. It seems to agree with your entire 2nd paragraph. 

I'd expect to see 3-4 more waffles on this before it is over.

My wife finally got her appointment for the vaccination next month at the local government hospital.  We talked to the hospital today about if I could get the vaccination at the same time.  They were not sure.  They said to check back next week and they would let us know after they asked some higher ups.  Also said I might have to pay if allowed to get it.

Another note:  When she booked her appointment there was a drop down list to pick which hospital you wanted to go to in your area.  The private hospitals were listed but if you selected one there were no dates you could pick for them.  So in effect you could only get an appointment at a government run hospital.

4 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

Whether it sits well or not, you are what you are in the eyes of all Thai..... A Farang

If you are not a Farang in Thailand, what are you ?

A fellow human being? Too much to ask, to be regarded as such? 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

True......call me Shirley......but I would prefer one that minimizes deaths......crazy I know.

Well, I'm guessing that is the goal of public policy makers as well.  If you have a plan in mind that would better achieve that, you should make it known. 

It's not so hard to criticize public policy when you're not actually responsible for making life & death decisions; I'm guessing it's a lot harder when the burden of those decisions is all on your shoulders.

Edited by WaveHunter
  • Haha 1

Just now, WaveHunter said:

Well, if you have a plan in mind that would actually achieve that, you should make them known.  It's not so hard to criticize public policy when it's not your job to make life & death decisions; I'm guessing it's a lot harder when the burden of those decisions is on your shoulders.

Pimps.....copy the UK model regardless of nationality, race....with some targeted vaccinations in hot spots like Khlong Toei......that easy...........all we need now is some.........vaccines.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

This had to happen. I've seen the same thing occur when I worked in a notable Thai institution. Farangs think they've found a loophole to acquire the same benefit as Thais, and a few weeks later, word comes saying, no. Nothing to be done about it. I expected this and said as much four days ago. It is really, really terrible that some expats who need to be in the front of the line will not get the vaccine. Stupid and immoral. But I could easily see someone going up for their "appointment" and being pulled out of line and told to go home. My rule: if it looks like the authorities are trying to exclude you, they are trying to exclude you, and they will exclude you. 

So let me take this in, when 95% of the Thais over 60 reject the jab, and that may be out of shelf life  before they offer it to us, it just may be  for FREE? It's getting better and better.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Minime said:

I think all UK citizens here should email our Ambassador for Thailand (Brian.Davidson2 @ fcdo.gov.uk)   and express our disgust at this blatant discrimination, after all the UK is offering free test and vaccines to all Thai nationals residing in the UK and that is a fact.

have tried to email him but the em address is not recognized nor the on on his webpage