Jump to content
Thai Visa Forum

Thailand records first case of Brazilian coronavirus variant in quarantine


Recommended Posts

2021-05-05T052924Z_1_LYNXMPEH44068_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A health worker takes a nasal swab sample from a man from Klong Toey community, for a coronavirus disease (COVID-19) test, in Bangkok, Thailand, May 4, 2021. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun

 

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Wednesday recorded its first case of a coronavirus variant first detected in Brazil from an overseas arrival in state quarantine, an official said.

 

"At this time, we have detected the Brazil strain in state quarantine, but it has not been detected in local communities," Apisamai Srirangsan, a spokeswoman for the coronavirus taskforce, said.

 

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat, writing by Chayut Setboonsarng; Editing by Ed Davies)

 

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-05-05
 
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Aaah variety, the spice of life. Possibly death in this case, but at least it's different, not the same old, same old.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rbkk said:

I saw Reuters report today that the UK will begin vaccinating it's population in August 2021 with a 3rd booster shot to hopefully  target these new varients. It begs the question of Thailand: Will those (expats) over 60 and those with underlying health conditions now have the goal post shoved further down the road? Will Thai's waiting for a 3rd booster trump over an unvaccinated expat? Additional boosters could very well be required every 6 months or so....

Part of the rationale for a booster is the issue of the initial jab losing effectiveness over time. They still don’t know if the shot is good for 6 months, one year, more, maybe less.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, connda said:

Welcome to Wave 4. Maybe 5 or 6.

Ah its another one for them to chalk up then "The Hub of Covid Waves"

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Denim said:

 

Yea well, they have that great guy Anutin running the show . What could go wrong ?

Nothing at all could possibly go wrong, as the Honey Monster Anutin has been sidelined in order that he does not create more problems, and Prayut, the Czar, has taken over the reins of overseeing everything to do with this Covid Outbreak.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rbkk said:

I saw Reuters report today that the UK will begin vaccinating it's population in August 2021 with a 3rd booster shot to hopefully  target these new varients. It begs the question of Thailand: Will those (expats) over 60 and those with underlying health conditions now have the goal post shoved further down the road? Will Thai's waiting for a 3rd booster trump over an unvaccinated expat? Additional boosters could very well be required every 6 months or so....

I saw a similar report last week but it mentioned the booster is intended for the most vulnerable only. I guess they may extend that to other groups if need be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

I saw a similar report last week but it mentioned the booster is intended for the most vulnerable only. I guess they may extend that to other groups if need be.

All UK population over 50 years old to get 3rd vaccine booster with a view to eradicate the virus by Christmas. https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/people-aged-over-50-in-britain-to-be-offered-3rd-covid-vaccine-shot-in-autumn-the-times/ar-BB1gmkaB?li=AAnZ9Ug

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Brazilian, South African, UK and Indian variants all seem to be converging on Thailand....thank god the vaccine roll out is going so well.

Your 65% vaccine will be useless against any other variant.However I wouldnt be too concerned most of it is media hype.

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let everyone die for corruption.  The government including the heath minister does not deserve to have a job.  They are destroying this country.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Brazilian, South African, UK and Indian variants all seem to be converging on Thailand....

They are all china variants.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, rbkk said:

I saw Reuters report today that the UK will begin vaccinating it's population in August 2021 with a 3rd booster shot

I also read that it is highly likely it will not be required

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, webfact said:

"At this time, we have detected the Brazil strain in state quarantine, but it has not been detected in local communities," Apisamai Srirangsan, a spokeswoman for the coronavirus taskforce, said.

Give it a few weeks you will.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

They still don’t know if the shot is good for 6 months, one year, more, maybe less.

 

They still don't know if the shot is good...

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

 

They still don't know if the shot is good...

Thank you for your comment. I am sure that you have a lot of data behind your assertion.

 

On the other hand, we now have a lot of experience in seeing the impact of the vaccine on the virus. Nations that have vaccinated large portions of their population have seen major drops in new infections, including the US, UK and Israel.

 

So, we know vaccines work. I am sorry that you can't wrap your brain around this. Perhaps if you stop reading what your internet friends send you, you might be able to accept reality.

 

  • Confused 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, rbkk said:

I saw Reuters report today that the UK will begin vaccinating it's population in August 2021 with a 3rd booster shot to hopefully  target these new varients. It begs the question of Thailand: Will those (expats) over 60 and those with underlying health conditions now have the goal post shoved further down the road? Will Thai's waiting for a 3rd booster trump over an unvaccinated expat? Additional boosters could very well be required every 6 months or so....

Interesting comments about the AZ jab.

 

https://theconversation.com/3-doses-then-1-each-year-why-pfizer-not-astrazeneca-is-the-best-bet-for-the-long-haul-159137

 

But as time goes on, using the AstraZeneca shot isn’t the best long-term strategy.

 

One reason for this is what immunologists call “vector immunity”. The AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines use a viral vector, which is an inactivated (cannot replicate) form of a common type of virus called an “adenovirus”. They use this adenovirus as a delivery vehicle to get DNA into our cells to give them the instructions to develop immunity against the coronavirus. However, you can’t be repeatedly immunised with this type of vaccine because you’ll likely develop immunity to the adenovirus vector (the delivery vehicle) itself. When that happens your immune system interferes with the delivery vehicle getting into your cells and the effectiveness of these vaccines would erode over time.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Stormfish said:

Your 65% vaccine will be useless against any other variant.However I wouldnt be too concerned most of it is media hype.

That's not true.  Don't post misinformation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Interesting comments about the AZ jab.

 

https://theconversation.com/3-doses-then-1-each-year-why-pfizer-not-astrazeneca-is-the-best-bet-for-the-long-haul-159137

 

But as time goes on, using the AstraZeneca shot isn’t the best long-term strategy.

 

One reason for this is what immunologists call “vector immunity”. The AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines use a viral vector, which is an inactivated (cannot replicate) form of a common type of virus called an “adenovirus”. They use this adenovirus as a delivery vehicle to get DNA into our cells to give them the instructions to develop immunity against the coronavirus. However, you can’t be repeatedly immunised with this type of vaccine because you’ll likely develop immunity to the adenovirus vector (the delivery vehicle) itself. When that happens your immune system interferes with the delivery vehicle getting into your cells and the effectiveness of these vaccines would erode over time.

The AZ has done a fantastic job in The UK and as we know has been the workhorse for many developing countries, however I agree the future seems to be the mRNA

vaccines. Its notable that the UK made an order for 60 million doses of the Pfizer-BioNTech as its preferred choice for boosters rather than more AZ. Even China has now admitted they are working on new mRNA vaccines and indeed they also ordered 100 million shots of Pfizer.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Given that out break in Thailand, and the lack of vaccine, surely it makes sense to close the border 99%?  (Only citizens and those with a very valid reason, i.e. To help with the epidemic are allowed quarantine)?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes...that's why all arrivals have to quarantine. 

Okay, I'm not paranoid...really. Once foreigners have quarantined & test negative & are pronounced safe, there's really no chance of catching Covid here & reactivating the strain they came in with???

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...