Thailand records first case of Brazilian coronavirus variant in quarantine

webfact

1 minute ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Okay, I'm not paranoid...really. Once foreigners have quarantined & test negative & are pronounced safe, there's really no chance of catching Covid here & reactivating the strain they came in with???

No more so than anyone else in Thailand I would imagine...maybe less as having been vaccinated their bodies are primed to react quickly to suppress any new virus infection. Studies are showing that vaccinated people are much less likely to shed and pass on infections because their bodies are so effective in suppressing viral replication that they have very little in their body to spread if they catch it again.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Okay, I'm not paranoid...really. Once foreigners have quarantined & test negative & are pronounced safe, there's really no chance of catching Covid here & reactivating the strain they came in with???

Not true.  Many reports out of Singapore regarding quarantined people testing positive a few weeks after getting out.  And they can't figure out why or how.  Plus, just because you've gotten the jab, or had the virus, doesn't mean you can't get it again.  Especially regarding these new variants.  We've got a long way to go to get this behind us.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Yes...that's why all arrivals have to quarantine. 

The story did NOT say if the arrival was a farang or thai or was vaccinated .  being vaccinated doesnt preclude having a virus but farang arrivals are required to covid test PRIOR to boarding a flight to Thailand. Thai are not required to test.  On my second certificate of entry process in 5 months  so ive had more covid tests than most living on soi baukhao.  Being vaccinated with Pfizer, i was fine with 7 day quarantine  requirement.   Now ....’all arrivals have to quarantine’ 15 days plus 3 covid tests ( 2 included in most asq packages.  The new third test  is an extra  2000b charge.  
so who brought in the Brazil variant?  

56 minutes ago, JayBird said:

Given that out break in Thailand, and the lack of vaccine, surely it makes sense to close the border 99%?  (Only citizens and those with a very valid reason, i.e. To help with the epidemic are allowed quarantine)?

Considering the majority of the virus spread was domestic how so?? Even thailand admitted that the entertainment venues and migrant work camps was a root cause of the virus waze. Thailand didnt admit that letting Songkran festival and traveling out from bkk was a very bad idea.  Why penalize expats/tourists who meet all strict requirements.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Someone here posted about the P1 Brazilian variant being found in state quarantine in early April. The official report was posted here:

They mean the first one this week.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

No more so than anyone else in Thailand I would imagine...maybe less as having been vaccinated their bodies are primed to react quickly to suppress any new virus infection. Studies are showing that vaccinated people are much less likely to shed and pass on infections because their bodies are so effective in suppressing viral replication that they have very little in their body to spread if they catch it again.

Unfortunately they can still spread the virus.  Then the virus can mutate.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

I have seen no documented cases of a vaccinated individual infecting someone else.

The good news is that studies suggest that the vaccines do reduce transmission — to some extent. 

Additional studies are underway now that should give us a better answer soon to the question of transmission after vaccination.

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/if-youre-vaccinated-can-you-transmit-covid-19-what-we-know

4 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

I have seen no documented cases of a vaccinated individual infecting someone else.

Perhaps not documented. But entirely possible. Especially if given a jab like sinovac and then get infected with one of the deadlier variants. Crazy times.

8 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

Interesting comments about the AZ jab.

https://theconversation.com/3-doses-then-1-each-year-why-pfizer-not-astrazeneca-is-the-best-bet-for-the-long-haul-159137

But as time goes on, using the AstraZeneca shot isn’t the best long-term strategy.

One reason for this is what immunologists call “vector immunity”. The AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines use a viral vector, which is an inactivated (cannot replicate) form of a common type of virus called an “adenovirus”. They use this adenovirus as a delivery vehicle to get DNA into our cells to give them the instructions to develop immunity against the coronavirus. However, you can’t be repeatedly immunised with this type of vaccine because you’ll likely develop immunity to the adenovirus vector (the delivery vehicle) itself. When that happens your immune system interferes with the delivery vehicle getting into your cells and the effectiveness of these vaccines would erode over time.

So what have we been getting the updated Flu jab every year since forever? Surely the same logic would apply to the Flu jab?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

Perhaps not documented. But entirely possible. Especially if given a jab like sinovac and then get infected with one of the deadlier variants. Crazy times.

The researchers say it's theoretically possible. But, for every person who repeats that, I post that I have seen no such cases, and no one has ever posted any cases.

So, it's a unicorn.

17 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

The researchers say it's theoretically possible. But, for every person who repeats that, I post that I have seen no such cases, and no one has ever posted any cases.

So, it's a unicorn.

The overall subject is called breakthrough infection. All vaccines have some breakthrough. The big concern is mutations that teach the virus to breakthrough vaccines and/or natural human defences.

The Brazil variant has gained the ability to get around one part of the human immune system. Hence the younger infections. The African variant has learned to reduce the effectiveness of the Pfizer and possibly other vaccines.

It better to use google and study because it's a subject of research and not generally tracked by the media.  Here is one example to go from. Two women infected by variants long after vaccination.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2105000

Just now, rabas said:

The overall subject is called breakthrough infection. All vaccines have some breakthrough. The big concern is mutations that teach the virus to breakthrough vaccines and/or natural human defences.

The Brazil variant has gained the ability to get around one part of the human immune system. Hence the younger infections. The African variant has learned to reduce the effectiveness of the Pfizer and possibly other vaccines.

It better to use google and study because it's a subject of research and not generally tracked by the media.  Here is one example to go from. Two women infected by variants long after vaccination.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2105000

The question on the table is the issue of a vaccinated person infecting someone else.

1 hour ago, Jeffr2 said:

Perhaps not documented. But entirely possible.

Edge cases are possible. There is a credible report of a Pfizer vaccinee who contracted the Indian variant and succumbed: https://www.newsweek.com/dr-rajendra-kapila-rutgers-university-has-died-heres-what-we-know-dont-1588814

The serious takeaway: get vaccinated ASAP, minimize the spread of the virus, slam the brakes on fresh mutations.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Fromas said:

Edge cases are possible. There is a credible report of a Pfizer vaccinee who contracted the Indian variant and succumbed: https://www.newsweek.com/dr-rajendra-kapila-rutgers-university-has-died-heres-what-we-know-dont-1588814

The serious takeaway: get vaccinated ASAP, minimize the spread of the virus, slam the brakes on fresh mutations.

There are no lack of breakthrough infections, but the question on the table is the issue of a vaccinated person infecting someone else.

39 minutes ago, Danderman123 said:

There are no lack of breakthrough infections, but the question on the table is the issue of a vaccinated person infecting someone else.

There are no studies to date. However, if a vaccinee can contract a foreign variant-of-concern and die from it, transmissibility is highly possible. More research is needed. In the meantime health authorities may want to exercise an abundance of caution.

Edited by Fromas

15 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, it's a unicorn.

You can also say that about many who get infected as the true source is sometimes not known.  For now, the best assumption is it's very possible.  As stated by many credible reports. 

Here's a study that hopes to determine this:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/04/12/when-will-it-be-safe-to-stop-using-masks/

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, it's a unicorn.

It may be more a mute point. If a vaccinated person becomes seriously ill then of course they can infect others. The forward infection will depend of things like viral load etc. A vaccine cannot change the virus itself. Once exhaled, there is no way to tell it came from a vaccinated person. 

Thus the medically important quantity is breakthrough infections and infection severity.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rabas said:

It may be more a mute point. If a vaccinated person becomes seriously ill then of course they can infect others. The forward infection will depend of things like viral load etc. A vaccine cannot change the virus itself. Once exhaled, there is no way to tell it came from a vaccinated person. 

Thus the medically important quantity is breakthrough infections and infection severity.

From the article link above:

They discovered that college students who were infected but did not have symptoms at the time of testing bore a strong resemblance to the sickest hospitalized patients when it came to who was a potential spreader. In both groups, 2 percent of the people were responsible for carrying 90 percent of the virus in the population studied. That meant that supercarriers were lurking among those who had not spiked a fever or developed a cough, knocking down the assumption that people with no symptoms were less prone to be potent reservoirs of the virus.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2021 at 8:22 AM, Danderman123 said:

Thank you for your comment. I am sure that you have a lot of data behind your assertion.

No... no... thank you for your service as a bar stool doctor or nurse... 

Let's wait and see who comes out right about this conundrum. 

I would love to be wrong, but I don't trust rushed out vaccines and who knows maybe people are actually wearing masks in the west...

By the way you say 'WE' all the time I guess you are with the CDC

"On the other hand, we now have a lot of experience"

"So, we know vaccines work."

And yes... vaccines work once they have been tested over a decent period of time...

I will wait and see

Edited by LazySlipper

6 minutes ago, LazySlipper said:

No... no... thank you for your service as a bar stool doctor or nurse... 

Let's wait and see who comes out right about this conundrum. 

I would love to be wrong, but I don't trust rushed out vaccines and who knows maybe people are actually wearing masks in the west...

By the way you say 'WE' all the time I guess you are with the CDC

"On the other hand, we now have a lot of experience"

"So, we know vaccines work."

And yes... vaccines work once they have been tested over a decent period of time...

I will wait and see

Just out of curiosity, what is that decent period of time?

17 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

So, it's a unicorn.

It happened in Singapore just recently.  Guaranteed it's happened elsewhere also.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/vaccinated-nurse-infected

A general ward nurse at Tan Tock Seng Hospital (TTSH), who had received both vaccine doses, has tested positive for Covid-19, the Ministry of Health said yesterday.

After confirmation of the positive test on Tuesday, the hospital locked down the ward the 46-year-old nurse worked in, and tested patients and staff who had been in the ward. So far, a doctor and three patients who are being cared for in the same ward have tested preliminarily positive for the virus.

• Thanks 1

On 5/5/2021 at 10:55 PM, Bkktodd said:

Considering the majority of the virus spread was domestic how so?? Even thailand admitted that the entertainment venues and migrant work camps was a root cause of the virus waze. Thailand didnt admit that letting Songkran festival and traveling out from bkk was a very bad idea.  Why penalize expats/tourists who meet all strict requirements.  

Naturally spread is domestic, not sure how else it could be.  I am referring to the introduction of new variants which existed outside of Thailand.  The only way they could get into Thailand is through the border.