Quality of life in Kho Samui

I am getting bored of Chiang Mai and am looking at Kho Samui. Air quality and beach feel appeal. However I wonder about the following:

1. There is a great choice of European shopping in Chiang Mai, even a French bakery with excellent baguette. I am assuming this is not the case in Kho Samui. Is that correct? There is no French bakery, baguette or supermarket with European shopping items?

2. Are prices the same, eg are Grab rides normal priced or is it a Phuket taxi mafia situation?

3. Is it viable to go to shopping in Surat Thani and is shopping there any good (ie malls, supermarkets, it looks like they are older malls in Kho Samui)

4. Massage places, are there good ones in Kho Samui?

One other thing to consider, especially if you plan on using taxis, is which part of the island to stay. Pick  the wrong place and you might be in a tourist void ghost town, or a beautiful, very quiet place far from most amenities.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Logosone said:

And the small size of the place, I gather Koh Samui is quite small, does not bother you if you live there?

Samui is 'small but perfectly formed'. ????

If you love big cities, you will probably get 'island fever' after a while.

It is quite diverse and in spite of what some people with little knowledge say - it has lots of small bays and quiet beaches.

The main road around the island is about 57 kilometers and the island is just under 230 sq kilometers in area. (Second largest island in Thailand.)

In 2019 there were about 3 million foreign visitors  to the island. Covid has decimated the tourist industry with the two major tourist towns dead. (Chaweng and Lamai.)

There is even 'the mountain'. 635 meters high. (Most locals call it the mountain.) There are very few flat areas on the island. Trekking is hot, hard work.

The size of Samui does not bother me but then I am quite an old faart and I was looking for a better quality of life when I came here.  I was always sitting on planes or staying in hotels whilst my wife was living alone at home.

It all depends on your age and your attitude. ie what are you really looking for?

If you are 25 and looking to party? Wait a few years until Covid can be tamed.

Edited by Tropicalevo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have to say based on your comments and what I saw already, the good quality air, beaches, abundance of good restaurants, international airport, French and German bakeries I am seriously considering making the move to Koh Samui and will check it out. I'm still a bit concerned that the Central Festival is a bit older than the one in Chiang Mai but otherwise, one hour flight to Bangkok is the same as Chiang Mai, French and German bakeries, the same supermarkets, same accommodation prices and Surat Thani and islands quite close I think it is definitely time to check out the island.

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Just one last question, is the internet fast and reliable in Samui?

yes - many options.

TOT, 3BB, Trueonline and I use a private supplier. There may be others, these are the ones that I have used over the years.

Many villas use 1 gigabyte 3BB. Fast enough for online teaching, schooling, download, Netflix etc.

Most rental villas/hotels offer internet. Some of the more remote areas on the island may not give great coverage. (Up on 'the mountain' etc.) It will depend on where you stay.

A very rough guide - other residents may have more info :-

Northern beaches area good coverage

Western beaches are good to ok.

Southern area, ok to average.

Eastern beaches are good.

Middle of the island  - from ok to none.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

I have to say based on your comments and what I saw already, the good quality air, beaches, abundance of good restaurants, international airport, French and German bakeries I am seriously considering making the move to Koh Samui and will check it out. I'm still a bit concerned that the Central Festival is a bit older than the one in Chiang Mai but otherwise, one hour flight to Bangkok is the same as Chiang Mai, French and German bakeries, the same supermarkets, same accommodation prices and Surat Thani and islands quite close I think it is definitely time to check out the island.

Another thought. If you want to be by the sea and still close to a major city, e.g. Bangkok, you might want to consider somewhere like Hua Hin

• Like 1

A lot of fanstatic replies, thanks everyone surpassed my expectations, things are much clearer now, really helpful.

Thanks Khun Per for clarifying about the age of Central Festival in Samui, I was looking at clips on Youtube, and thought it was much older, but it must be the outdoors concept rather than older architecture.

fdsa, can you elaborate on "lack of civilization"? I saw that much of Samui is dead now, as it appears to rely more on tourism than many places, but I suspect you mean something else. Just small size?

I quite agree that Chiang Mai is a very nice city, the hundreds of years of history vibe, plus cool weather sometimes and choice of restaurants has been very pleasant. Unfortunately the air quality is worse than I thought, which is a dealbreaker, but I certainly don't want to sacrifice the benefits of Chiang Mai, lots of massage places, restaurants, malls, french bakeries etc. I am still concerned about the size of Samui but it has so many plus points I will check it out. I saw there is no Grab food delivery in Samui but that's no an issue for me.

Phetphet, I've been to Hua Hin, nice fish, but too sprawled out and not my thing. I think it's between Chiang Mai, Ko Samui or Pattya. 

I would advise you to visit Samui before you pull the "that's it, I'm moving to Samui" card based off of a few posts here.  Nothing against KhunPer and TropicalEvo, they are both very helpful, well-spoken, and regular posters here, but they are Samui's biggest shill's as well.  You basically read all the great things about Samui and almost decided to move based on that alone.  Don't get me wrong, Samui is a wonderful place that I someday hope to retire to as well, but seriously consider going there first as they suggested.  Taxis and Grab are not cheap on Samui, they are more expensive than Phuket in some cases.  Depending on your interest in riding a motorbike or driving on the island, that could be a potential deal breaker alone.  Go see what you think about it once the interprovincial restrictions are lifted.

• Like 1

Of course I will have a look before I go there, but honestly I did not rate Samui as highly as after things have been clarified here (good internet, European shopping, good air quality, massage places). The only downsides I see to Samui are basically size, fewer malls, restaurants, and facilities generally, transport a little more expensive and no grab food deliveries, maybe Central Festival in Chiang Mai is a small cut above the one Samui and you don't get that vibe of civilized 1000 year old city in Samui, however, Samui has a very strong package. The island feel and beach life is the big draw of course and you'd not sacrifice much in terms of facilities. And there is that horrible air in Chiang Mai for months. But you're right of course it'll be a question of staying in Samui a few months. Still very good info here, and appreciate all the pics of malls and such. I have heard some good things about Surat Thani, but it looks like expats don't go there. Wonder why.

We've spent a fair amount of time on Samui over the past 20 years.  Stopped going because of the taxi mafia, crazy traffic and skyrocketing prices for hotel rooms.  If you go now, you won't experience any of those.  But they'll be back when tourism cranks up again.

Right now, if you don't mind most places closed, it's a great time to visit.  Absolutely lovely.  And no traffic. LOL.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"Depending on your interest in riding a motorbike or driving on the island, that could be a potential deal breaker alone."

Maha Sarakham

I'm thinking about a similar move but am held back by transportation. Are there areas one could live without driving, and going bankrupt by using taxis or grab?

•  

You have wrong information: on Koh Samui trhere is all you need concerning farang shops, bars, good massages..... Makro's Big C, Tesco Lotus ..... EVERYTHING. Going shoppin at Surat Thani? Do you have an idea how long it takes to go there?

Prices at Koh Samui are higher as CM as you are on an island.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, khunPer said:

You have not been on Samui recently, Tops is big now, they've taken over the whole northern part of Central Festival's ground floor.

I dont think you realize the diversity and quality and price of Chiang Mai options.. On this aspect, its leagues better if your used to that variety. 

Some people dont care and hence wont notice.. But its one of the advantages of CM... Theres also of course plenty of disadvantages many of which Samui doesn't suffer and traffic which I think they both do. 

1 minute ago, LivinLOS said:

I dont think you realize the diversity and quality and price of Chiang Mai options.. On this aspect, its leagues better if your used to that variety.

Keep in context that you are comparing a large city with a small island. The facilities cannot compare.

'The Chiang Mai metropolitan area has a population of nearly one million people, which is more than half of the total population of Chiang Mai Province. '

Samui, 62,000 people at the last count.

Personally, I love visiting Chiang Mai but always for a week or less.

Different strokes for different folks.

"I'm thinking about a similar move but am held back by transportation. Are there areas one could live without driving, and going bankrupt by using taxis or grab?"

On the subject of transport, if you are staying here for 10 days or more, then you will want your own transport.

Taxis/grab etc are too expensive long term. ie not city prices.

Long term scooter or car rental is reasonably priced.

Gasoline is slightly more expensive as are most other consumables. That is down to transport costs. Everything comes to the island by ferry or air.

• Like 2