Quality of life in Kho Samui

17 minutes ago, paul1804 said:

I have resided in Koh Samui for 2 years now and love living here. Samui has all the amenities of a modern city including french pastries of a good standard. Public transport doesn't exist and taxis can be a rip off so just hire a motor bike, they are cheap. We have several good Supermarkets, markets and your convenience stores which stock basics. The recently renovated Tops Market in the Central Festival centre is excellent and also has incredibly good pastries and bread but are a little more expensive! The Central Festival shopping centre is normally bustling with a good range of shops and restaurants, also a Central department store which has everything you need. 

Medical is of a good standard with plenty of choices including Samui government hospital which has a good reputation. May is sort of the start to the rainy season but it really ramps up in October and normally goes through to February. The beaches right now are exceptionally clean, I guess due to the lack of tourists. I have visited Changmai several times and liked it but have to say I am happy to be on Samui and would not move to Changmai in preference. 

I hope this helps. 

Well put...but I'd hate to think of how many scooter accidents I've seen on Samui.  Many.  I do believe it's the #1 place outside the UK where it's citizens get hurt.  The drivers there are insane.  Not too bad now, but back when it was busy, there's no way I'd ride a scooter on the main highway.  No way.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

3 minutes ago, gearbox said:

I live in Samui, but if my gf didn't have business here we would seriously consider moving to Phuket.

There are a few advantages Phuket has in regards to my lifestyle:

* The beaches are just better. Cleaner water, more interesting islands to kayak to.

* No ferry needed to get to the mainland - every return trip with a car from Samui to Donsak is 1k bahts. If you like driving around often for holidays the west coast is more interesting.

* Big international airport with cheap and convenient flights all over Asia - I used to travel a lot pre covid. You are no hostage of Bangkok Airways.

I don't know the Grab prices in Phuket but in Samui looks like most of the Grab members are from the taxi mafia. I checked the Grab prices from Chaweng Beach to Nathon (around 18km),  around 650 baht. Same thing I've seen in Ubud, Indonesia. Best to have own car or motorbike here.

One very big advantage of Samui is the short wet season and the weather. It rains from mid October to mid December, during the rest of the year the weather is mostly good. Even during the rainy months you can experience periods of good weather. You won't see temperatures in the range 35-40C here.

Also Koh Phangan is just 15 km away, one of the best places in Thailand to chill out.

Interesting comparison.  For sure the beaches on Phuket are better.  But I don't like all the hills! LOL.  Getting around is tough.  Not too bad now, but a few years ago...wow.  And the taxi mafia there is worse than in Samui.  After an altercation several years ago, we decided never to go back.  We did a few months ago and it was great.  But that will change in the future.  We stayed in Kamala.  KPN is nice now, but when busy, too many tats and body piercings! LOL

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

Keep in context that you are comparing a large city with a small island. The facilities cannot compare.

'The Chiang Mai metropolitan area has a population of nearly one million people, which is more than half of the total population of Chiang Mai Province. '

Absolutely.. I 100% agree with you this is the kind of difference.. 

But some of the Pro Samui posters are making it seem equivalent.. 'everything you need' is easily available and as someone with no particular dog in this fight, and  lot of experience in both, I dont think thats really accurate.. 

Are most of those things mostly available at higher prices and less quality choice ? Yes !! How important is that extra bit or cost, entirely up to the person. 

4 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I will live in both places at different time of the year. Stay in CM end of year while Samui battered the monsoon from October to January. Nice cool weather in CM at this time and flowers are blooming. During the monsoon period in Samui, not much to do. Get back to Samui after Feb where there are fewer rainy days and sunny at the beach while CM pollution seeps in. 

That sounds like a good balance.

We get a lot of guests come down from Chiang Mai February to April.

Some are still here. but I suspect that is because Chiang Mai is a deep red zone.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

A lot of fanstatic replies, thanks everyone surpassed my expectations, things are much clearer now, really helpful.

Thanks Khun Per for clarifying about the age of Central Festival in Samui, I was looking at clips on Youtube, and thought it was much older, but it must be the outdoors concept rather than older architecture.

fdsa, can you elaborate on "lack of civilization"? I saw that much of Samui is dead now, as it appears to rely more on tourism than many places, but I suspect you mean something else. Just small size?

I quite agree that Chiang Mai is a very nice city, the hundreds of years of history vibe, plus cool weather sometimes and choice of restaurants has been very pleasant. Unfortunately the air quality is worse than I thought, which is a dealbreaker, but I certainly don't want to sacrifice the benefits of Chiang Mai, lots of massage places, restaurants, malls, french bakeries etc. I am still concerned about the size of Samui but it has so many plus points I will check it out. I saw there is no Grab food delivery in Samui but that's no an issue for me.

Phetphet, I've been to Hua Hin, nice fish, but too sprawled out and not my thing. I think it's between Chiang Mai, Ko Samui or Pattya. 

Interesting why you don't choose Pattaya. Has far more malls, restaurants, bakeries, bars, massages, close to Bangkok and the airports. Cheaper and easier travel. OK the beach isn't that great. Samui might be great for a short time but the hassle in travelling outside and the taxi (and Bangkok Airways) mafia would <deleted> me off.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Logosone said:

A lot of fanstatic replies, thanks everyone surpassed my expectations, things are much clearer now, really helpful.

Thanks Khun Per for clarifying about the age of Central Festival in Samui, I was looking at clips on Youtube, and thought it was much older, but it must be the outdoors concept rather than older architecture.

fdsa, can you elaborate on "lack of civilization"? I saw that much of Samui is dead now, as it appears to rely more on tourism than many places, but I suspect you mean something else. Just small size?

I quite agree that Chiang Mai is a very nice city, the hundreds of years of history vibe, plus cool weather sometimes and choice of restaurants has been very pleasant. Unfortunately the air quality is worse than I thought, which is a dealbreaker, but I certainly don't want to sacrifice the benefits of Chiang Mai, lots of massage places, restaurants, malls, french bakeries etc. I am still concerned about the size of Samui but it has so many plus points I will check it out. I saw there is no Grab food delivery in Samui but that's no an issue for me.

Phetphet, I've been to Hua Hin, nice fish, but too sprawled out and not my thing. I think it's between Chiang Mai, Ko Samui or Pattya. 

There is Grab food delivery on Samui. I actually saw one  of their guys waiting for a pick up in McDonalds last night. Also Foodpanda and Hangover Samui.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gearbox said:

For sure Samui would be more expensive,  not so much for the imported stuff, but for the local produce. The fresh food markets in Chiang Mai were cheaper, I would say significantly cheaper than Samui.

Yes, Chiang Mai-strawberries are awful expensive on Samui compared to Chiang Mai, but in general vegetables are otherwise affordable, and sometimes cheaper in Makro than on the local market; the latter unfortunately don't count for strawberries...????

wIMG20210129140736_strawberries(1024).jpg.be798344a713c2b67baae86937135e30.jpg

For sure Samui would be more expensive,  not so much for the imported stuff, but for the local produce. The fresh food markets in Chiang Mai were cheaper, I would say significantly cheaper than Samui. However you can buy fresh seafood at the markets in Samui,  highly unlikely to get this in Chiang Mai unless they fly the goods.

If you want it, the main market in the city (esp 5 6am) has loads of seafood and strangely cheaper for large prawns etc.. But as an Island its the on the menu choice and we both go overboard when we come down, its part of the experience. Up north more likely to enjoy geangs and northern lanna foods. 

Its all swings and roundabouts, I dont have strong feelings of dislike to any of the balance except high season tourism, everything else is a kind of trade off that has upsides and downsides. 

24 minutes ago, redpill17 said:

I figure most accidents were drunk tourists who never rode a motorbike before. IMO it's much safer to ride here than in Chiang Mai, where you have to squeeze between cars to avoid suffocating in traffic. All insane car drivers I saw on Samui had Bangkok plates ????

A number of year ago, when we had printed weekly newspapers on the island, we also got a monthly police statistics for traffic accidents; unfortunately I haven't seen any since.

Back then, in average about 15 percent of the police reported traffic accidents involved foreigners, and in up to 85 percent of all accidents alcohol played a part; i.e. the drivers were over the permitted limit.

By that time 2-3 traffic death a month were reported, but that figure might well be higher, as it was said only to include those that were declared dead on the spot, not those that were declared dead when arriving hospital or died later. It seems to be a general discrepancy for Thailand's traffic stats, when reading the news.

• Like 2

I live in Samui, but if my gf didn't have business here we would seriously consider moving to Phuket.

There are a few advantages Phuket has in regards to my lifestyle:

* The beaches are just better. Cleaner water, more interesting islands to kayak to.

* No ferry needed to get to the mainland - every return trip with a car from Samui to Donsak is 1k bahts. If you like driving around often for holidays the west coast is more interesting.

* Big international airport with cheap and convenient flights all over Asia - I used to travel a lot pre covid. You are no hostage of Bangkok Airways.

I don't know the Grab prices in Phuket but in Samui looks like most of the Grab members are from the taxi mafia. I checked the Grab prices from Chaweng Beach to Nathon (around 18km),  around 650 baht. Same thing I've seen in Ubud, Indonesia. Best to have own car or motorbike here.

One very big advantage of Samui is the short wet season and the weather. It rains from mid October to mid December, during the rest of the year the weather is mostly good. Even during the rainy months you can experience periods of good weather. You won't see temperatures in the range 35-40C here.

Also Koh Phangan is just 15 km away, one of the best places in Thailand to chill out.

Hard to compare the beaches. Phuket´s are very wide with almost no palm trees. The Andaman Sea is rougher and much longer not swimmable. Monsoon there is way longer and more intense. GoT has more of a lake character. Very calm most of the time. Because of many rivers the shallow Golf - the deepest app 80 meters at some spots only -  is not very salty and so is the air (which keeps also your things longer alive, if you live next to the sea like me) 

Especially because the mainland has to be reached by ferry Samui has that island character. Can't say which coast is more interesting, both are beautiful and interesting and just a bit over a hours drive away on 44. But if not on holidays you will never drive out of both places.

Yep, that would be a point. But there are cheap flights from NST and URT to BKK for connection and the HKT flights are only 45 minutes from Samui. But most people don't use that anyway. I live on Samui since 30 years, met countless farangs and was always surprised that most don't travel much even in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've just recalled a fun fact: the beloved international airport on Koh Samui is not a government one but a privately owned by Bangkok Airways and the monopoly allows them to pump up the prices.

E.g. the one-way ticket Samui-Bangkok costed 4000 THB at the same time as Chumphon-Bangkok or Suratthani-Bangkok costed 750 THB. But the long stayers on Samui were entitled to get a "Samui Resident" card which provided a whopping 50% discount! So Samui-Bangkok flight was mere 2000 THB compared to 750 THB from other near cities.

Have the situation changed since I left the island? :biggrin:

IMG_20210506_120607.jpg

Edited by fdsa
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Logosone said:

I have to say based on your comments and what I saw already, the good quality air, beaches, abundance of good restaurants, international airport, French and German bakeries I am seriously considering making the move to Koh Samui and will check it out. I'm still a bit concerned that the Central Festival is a bit older than the one in Chiang Mai but otherwise, one hour flight to Bangkok is the same as Chiang Mai, French and German bakeries, the same supermarkets, same accommodation prices and Surat Thani and islands quite close I think it is definitely time to check out the island.

But the air tickets are more expensive than other parts of Thailand. And how about the maffia? I have heard some of that.

27 minutes ago, Logosone said:

Pattaya is on the list, simply because the facilities are so good, so many malls, bakeries, restaurants and yes the proximity to Bangkok is a  plus because I love Bangkok and would move there if not for the awful air quality. I have different concerns about Pattaya though, like flooding, the Central mall is from 2009, and obviously air quality is not as good as Samui and surroundings are not as beautiful. But I also plan to do a longer stint in Pattaya because at the moment it is really between Pattay and Koh Samui. I've been to Phuket, stayed at a villa at the Grand Centara which is right on the beach but I was not impressed with the beach. I probably won't be in Koh Samui either as I saw the hotels now don't pay staff to clean up the beaches and I lived in the Caribbean anyway so beaches are on a different level. But I want to find that happy balance of facilities, beautiful surroundings and air quality. Phuket had a few okay malls, and lovely muslim breakfast of roti and fried egg which was the best I had in Thailand, but with restaurants and malls I think Chiang Mai is stronger.  Chiang Mai is a lovely place but the air quality is just a problem if it wasn't for that I could easily stay in Chiang Mai. Phuket doesn't draw me.

For me this thread was merely about checking if Koh Samui ticks all the basics, good internet, french bakeries, massage places, shopping malls. So it looks like that is the case, but people have been very honest about the downsides, expensive (not a dealbreaker for me I didn't find living in Chiang Mai cheaper than where I'm from), travel mafia (not great but I will have scooter and/or car), less choice of restaurants, malls and massage places (the most serious con), expensive flights (not great but not dealbreaker and you can fly to KL, HK, Singapore, China and BK so that's good).

Clearly one has to do a longer stint of living there for a number of months, but man is talking to those whove lived there for years useful. Really good posts across the board, and really appreciate all the good info.

Just curious as we are considering this. Where were you in the Caribbean? Why did you leave? We're been here 20 years and are researching other places to live.

I've been on many Caribbean islands. But just as a short time tourist.

Thanks.

I lived a few years between Cuba and Jamaica but it was a very small island and basically I missed civilization, few choices of good facilities and hurricanes were a problem. I do mean a serious problem.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

A number of year ago, when we had printed weekly newspapers on the island, we also got a monthly police statistics for traffic accidents; unfortunately I haven't seen any since.

Back then, in average about 15 percent of the police reported traffic accidents involved foreigners, and in up to 85 percent of all accidents alcohol played a part; i.e. the drivers were over the permitted limit.

By that time 2-3 traffic death a month were reported, but that figure might well be higher, as it was said only to include those that were declared dead on the spot, not those that were declared dead when arriving hospital or died later. It seems to be a general discrepancy for Thailand's traffic stats, when reading the news.

Agree most fatality reports from motorcycle accident on Samui start with the following headline. In the early hours of the morning..... you can fill in the rest. 
I hold a motor cycle license and have never found riding on Samui anymore dangerous than anywhere else. 
I would like to see some data to support the allegations of so called Most Dangerous Place to Ride in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, khunPer said:

Yes, Chiang Mai-strawberries are awful expensive on Samui compared to Chiang Mai, but in general vegetables are otherwise affordable, and sometimes cheaper in Makro than on the local market; the latter unfortunately don't count for strawberries...????

wIMG20210129140736_strawberries(1024).jpg.be798344a713c2b67baae86937135e30.jpg

All your pix in this thread have exceptional clarity.

What camera do you use for these?

• Thanks 1