Does the 90 day reporting clock restart after I obtain a new Non 0-A visa within Thailand?

Hi folks - at the beginning of February I obtained a new Non O-A visa at the Immigration office in Chonburi (my old visa was expiring at the beginning of March.  I did this two months after my latest 90 day report at the same office, so one month before the 90 days was up.

When I received my new Non O-A visa, the immigration rep told me to come back in 90 days to show ongoing proof of my financials (and I was assuming for my first 90 day report).   Upon arriving at the Chonburi office for my appointment today I first went to the 90 day reporting desk (desk 4), and after a minute or so trying to get the available representative to notice me (head buried scrolling through an app on his phone) I gave the him my paperwork (all of it - the financials as well as the 90 day reporting required docs).    He immediately told me that I was two months late for my 90 day report and said I owed a 2000 baht fine.  I said no, the 90 day clock restarted because I have a new visa and asked him to look at the new visa in my passport.  He said no, the new visa doesn't matter, you should have come back at the end of February per the 90 day window from my old visa.  We went back and forth like that a bit, our voices raised a bit, but not shouting, and I told him that was crazy and didn't sound right, why wouldn't the window reset with a completely new visa, and I said that when I got the new visa the immigration rep told me specifically that I was to come back in 90 days from the issue date of the new visa to present the required financial docks (and I had presumed for my first 90 day report).  I'm sure the other two reps at desk 4 were aware that we were going back and forth a bit, and people waiting just behind me could see that something was not going smoothly.

At that point i asked for all of my docs back and said I would go to the new visa desk (desk 8).  He gave me everything back and I handed everything to the visa rep at desk 8.  I told that rep what the 90 day rep had said and asked her why is he telling me I must pay a fine?  I told her that her department had told me to come back in 90 days and asked her to confirm.  She would only say that her desk was for the visas and the other desk was for 90 day, and she refused to clarify any more when I asked again.

At that point, after she accepted my financial paperwork, I had no choice but to go back to the 90 day desk and give my TM47 to the same gentleman who had previously insisted that I pay a 2000 baht penalty.    After giving him the paperwork I stated again that it was my understanding that the 90 day clock restarted when I got the new visa, but that if that was wrong it was my misunderstanding.  He processed my TM47 and I pulled out 2000 baht.  When I tried to hand it to him when he gave me my 90 day reporting receipt he wouldn't take it.  I tried again and he waved it away.  I thanked him and left.   The next date for my 90 day reporting per the receipt he gave me is three months from now.

So what really happened here?

(1) Was the 90 day representative right - does the 90 day clock NOT restart if you get a completely new visa?  And was he being a nice guy by not fining me?

(2) Or did the official clock indeed restart when my new visa was issued, and the rep was trying to make a quick 2000 baht under the table by making up a fine (and perhaps decided against taking the money because others there may have heard me objecting originally?)

I really don't know if I just didn't understand the rules, or whether something else was happening, but it would be good to understand this better in case I encounter this scenario again in the future.  

A bit of background - my experiences prior to this at the Chonburi office have all been very courteous, with the staff being very helpful and clear on next steps.

Any insight is appreciated....

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, heyx2rr said:

Hi folks - at the beginning of February I obtained a new Non O-A visa at the Immigration office in Chonburi

Since non-OA visas are only obtainable in retirees' home countries, has the Chonburi Immigration Office, perchance, declared itself to be located within the territory of yours?

• Haha 2

Hi folks - thanks for your replies.  I was afraid that I was indeed wrong and just being too paranoid and that has proven to be the case.   I'm still not sure why the clock wouldn't restart when you submit all the paperwork for an extension of stay and wish the relationship between 90 day reporting and one year extensions were a bit more clear, but I'm glad I understand how this works now.  And kudos to the Chonburi office once again.

Thanks again for your assistance, much appreciated.

Don't listen to anything you hear on TV! Seriously though, I dodged the same bullet through gracious advice here. Lesson learned. Sure looking forward to the day they abolish 90-day reporting. Can't imagine there's a financial incentive for it, so why keep it.

• Like 1

I did my last 90day on-line and it was due again 04 May. On-line attempts for the last 2 weeks all fail with a message to contact local immigration.

On 29 April I did a COVID extension in Phuket and tried to do the 90day report. I was sent away and told there was no need to do a 90 day because the COVID extension reset it. This seems to conflict with the advice above.

The reason for the 90 day return after doing extension is for money in the bank check, your 90days residency check is not affected by the visa extension therefore stays the same, I almost got caught out by this because as is normal with immigration everything is as clear as muddy water. 

18 minutes ago, Mises said:

On 29 April I did a COVID extension in Phuket and tried to do the 90day report. I was sent away and told there was no need to do a 90 day because the COVID extension reset it. This seems to conflict with the advice above.

Immigration is not enforcing the 90 day reporting for short stay extensions such as the 60 day covid 19 extension. They consider doing the extension application as enough to meet the requirement.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, unblocktheplanet said:

Don't listen to anything you hear on TV! Seriously though, I dodged the same bullet through gracious advice here. Lesson learned. Sure looking forward to the day they abolish 90-day reporting. Can't imagine there's a financial incentive for it, so why keep it.

A mass of paperwork requires a mass of employment, jobs for the boys & girls.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mickyr55 said:

The reason for the 90 day return after doing extension is for money in the bank check, your 90days residency check is not affected by the visa extension therefore stays the same, I almost got caught out by this because as is normal with immigration everything is as clear as muddy water. 

No it is not. Everybody is required to do it whatever their status

Lol you are so confused.

First of all you did not get a new Non OA visa, these can only be obtained outside Thailand. You have an extension of stay based on retirement.

Secondly, when you received your extension of stay based on retirement from desk 8, you have to return to desk 8 after 90 days to show you still have 800k baht in your account.

Thirdly this 90 day report of finances at desk 8, is nothing to do with reporting your address at desk 4 every 90 days. In Jomtien you do not need any photocopies or a TM47 form just your passport and the previous 90 day report slip. The problem is yours despite your digs at the immigration officials. You should be aware by now of the correct process as this is not your first 90 day report or extension. Stop blaming others and get a grip man.