FDA: Pfizer Vaccine Has Not Entered Thailand

snoop1130

At present Pfizer is my preferred choice, not that I fully trust any of them at the moment, but time will tell if my concerns are justified, but I do think there's better and safer vaccines to come in the near future, and I hope Thailand gets on that bandwagon.

I had my 1st Pfizer 2 weeks ago in Saudi, after returning from Thailand 3 weeks ago, Astrazeneca was more readily available but I held out and managed to acquire my preference.  

I'm hoping, as I'm sure many of us are, Quarantine will be at a minimum for fully vaccinated visitors to LOS in the near future, however Thailand isn't looking good at the moment. 

It had been 11 months since I'd seen my son, aged 8 in Thailand, I never told him I was coming incase it all went wrong, he was so happy to see me, as I was to see him.  I can't do with only seeing him once a year, although we chat online often, with limited holidays, I can't do 2 weeks quarantine on my next trip.

I just hope the vaccine roll out in Thailand gets some momentum, stay safe.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, jackdd said:

Because if Pfizer would do this and somebody would make it public, Pfizer would be blamed for price gouging in a pandemic.

So the only way to sell vaccines way above the 20USD (which seems to be the common price) and without risking negative publicity, is through secret deals and NDAs.

How does Pfizer ensure these deals stay secret? They agree to pay backhanders.

Come off it. Pfizer are a publicly traded stock capitalized at $217 billion. They made $9 billion profit last year before the pandemic started. What would they do with their illicit profits from their secret deals? They couldn't put the payments through their books. The money would be useless to them. When the secret inevitably came out, tens of billions would be wiped off Pfizer's stock price. Who out of Pfizer's corporate officers would be dumb enough to approve this idea?

Your scenario of secret deals, NDAs and backhanders is pure fantasy. Still, conspiracy theories exist to make people feel that they are important and "in the know", so keep believing ????

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nkg said:

Your scenario of secret deals, NDAs and backhanders is pure fantasy. Still, conspiracy theories exist to make people feel that they are important and "in the know", so keep believing

A lot of us figure that's why they haven't been able to conclude a deal in Thailand.  They don't want to follow in the footsteps of Airbus, Rolls Royce and now Toyota, who are recently hit with $$ billions in fines for paying backhanders.  And without backhanders, business just doesn't happen in Thailand.  Unless, like AZ, you tie in with a well connected Thai company.  I'll leave it at that...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, impulse said:

A lot of us figure that's why they haven't been able to conclude a deal in Thailand.  They don't want to follow in the footsteps of Airbus, Rolls Royce and now Toyota, who are recently hit with $$ billions in fines for paying backhanders.  And without backhanders, business just doesn't happen in Thailand.  Unless, like AZ, you tie in with a well connected Thai company.  I'll leave it at that...

Military, aerospace and car manufacture are fiercely competitive industries.

The vaccine manufacturers are not competing - dozens of countries are pleading with them to buy their products. Because we live in Thailand, we sometimes have an exaggerated notion of Thailand's importance in the world.

The truth is, Thailand represents less than 1% of the world's population. Thailand isn't particularly rich - Pfizer may well be out of Thailand's price range. Pfizer have a guaranteed order book for years to come from wealthy nations.

Pfizer probably don't regard Thailand as a very important market for their vaccine. That's why there's no deal.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, jackdd said:

Because if Pfizer would do this and somebody would make it public, Pfizer would be blamed for price gouging in a pandemic.

So the only way to sell vaccines way above the 20USD (which seems to be the common price) and without risking negative publicity, is through secret deals and NDAs.

How does Pfizer ensure these deals stay secret? They agree to pay backhanders.

Titillating I know, but highly unlikely given the wide remit and severe punishments under the US FCPA and general scrutiny of all vaccine deals. 

• Like 1