Why can't the Embassy vaccinate British people in Thailand?

5 minutes ago, treetops said:

That presumably is when using the recently released app which is apparently for Thais only.  A new app for foreigners has been promised for next month.

We have seen many promises. The point is about equal access. Did the Ambassador make the point that there is no equal access at the moment for British citizens (and others, of course) ?

FWIW I've just been offered assistance to register for the vaccine by the Chiang Mai health authority who was most courteous and who bent over backwards with offers of help. A sharp contrast to a week ago when there was nothing but refusals on every front. So, whatever somebody did, it was effective and that person deserves my thanks.

On 5/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, jayboy said:

Thank you for this although there have already been several general assurances to this effect.The devil as always is in the detail.

And according to the BP today, Bangkok's top heath official has restated that Thais will be vaccinated before foreigners.In other words a direct contradiction of what the Prime Minister told the Ambassador.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, jayboy said:

And according to the BP today, Bangkok's top heath official has restated that Thais will be vaccinated before foreigners.In other words a direct contradiction of what the Prime Minister told the Ambassador.

Or perhaps it was just a misunderstanding !!

21 minutes ago, jayboy said:

Yes, and despite initially receiving excellent and prompt service from the Chiang Mai covid support people, it now seems as though nothing really has changed, except they now have my contact and ID details. An email from them to another person today confirmed that nothing is going to happen regarding vaccinations for foreigners before August. That might just be OK, I'm not to keen on the AZ vaccine and would prefer some of the alternatives which the private hospitals are likely to start selling by that time. Meanwhile, another foreigner friend nearby confirmed that he has an appointment to be jabbed on 20 June, he has a pink ID card and a yellow book. It seems to me this is all about systems changes and the length of time needed to make them, perhaps that and also a slower than expected ramp up in supply.

6 minutes ago, Brierley said:

Yes, and despite initially receiving excellent and prompt service from the Chiang Mai covid support people, it now seems as though nothing really has changed, except they now have my contact and ID details. An email from them to another person today confirmed that nothing is going to happen regarding vaccinations for foreigners before August. That might just be OK, I'm not to keen on the AZ vaccine and would prefer some of the alternatives which the private hospitals are likely to start selling by that time. Meanwhile, another foreigner friend nearby confirmed that he has an appointment to be jabbed on 20 June, he has a pink ID card and a yellow book. It seems to me this is all about systems changes and the length of time needed to make them, perhaps that and also a slower than expected ramp up in supply.

The AZ vaccine is perfectly okay and we shouldn't allow ourselves to be too fussy in the circumstances we find ourselves in.

I don't think most Thais would have much of a problem with the concept of Thais first and foreigners (even those who are elderly or have underlying conditions) afterwards. It doesn't make any scientific sense and it's morally indefensible.Sometimes I don't think even sophisticated and well educated Thais understand how odd some aspects of Thai culture are.

The reality is that most foreigners waiting for the jab don't really have much idea about specifics or timetable.

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

The AZ vaccine is perfectly okay and we shouldn't allow ourselves to be too fussy in the circumstances we find ourselves in.

I don't think most Thais would have much of a problem with the concept of Thais first and foreigners (even those who are elderly or have underlying conditions) afterwards. It doesn't make any scientific sense and it's morally indefensible.Sometimes I don't think even sophisticated and well educated Thais understand how odd some aspects of Thai culture are.

The reality is that most foreigners waiting for the jab don't really have much idea about specifics or timetable.

I've tried to research this point and of course what you say is correct, for most people. But for those of us over 70 years and with pre-existing conditions, the risks are greater hence the evaluation needs to be much deeper. Friends in Cambridge who work at Addenbrookes tell me the preferred choice for people such as me is Pfizer so that's the one I'm targeting.

4 minutes ago, Brierley said:

I've tried to research this point and of course what you say is correct, for most people. But for those of us over 70 years and with pre-existing conditions, the risks are greater hence the evaluation needs to be much deeper. Friends in Cambridge who work at Addenbrookes tell me the preferred choice for people such as me is Pfizer so that's the one I'm targeting.

I can't comment on your friends' opinions but I think it's necessary to get the risk associated with all approved vaccines into some kind of perspective.The risk is much less than being struck by lightning.We've all got much to worry about in Thailand on Covid but let's not agonize about immaterial risks.

1 minute ago, jayboy said:

I can't comment on your friends' opinions but I think it's necessary to get the risk associated with all approved vaccines into some kind of perspective.The risk is much less than being struck by lightning.We've all got much to worry about in Thailand on Covid but let's not agonize about immaterial risks.

Again yes, I agree. But it's really not a case of "agonizing", it's much more about making an informed choice, based on medical input that is trusted and being comfortable with the associated risk.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2021 at 8:49 PM, richard_smith237 said:

Those working for the FCO and British Chamber of commerce fall under British residential status, continue to pay Tax in the UK and remain under the umbrella of the the NHS. 

You’ll have to look harder for your criticism. 

With all the debate about whether or not foreigners receive the vaccine, who do you think is in the background lobbying the Thai Government to prevent them from the clumsily abhorrent potential of levying elevated charges on foreigners to receive the vaccine in Thailand etc ???

We have very little idea of what occurs behind the scenes but I trust that we have representatives doing their diplomatic best to ensure fair treatment. 

Equally so, do you really think it feasible for the British Government to bring in 200,000 doses of vaccine to ensure the safety of its citizens while Thai’s are still struggling to secure sufficient vaccine.

.....Then you would have all the British whingers who live in the provinces complaining because the British Government didn’t arrange to have the vaccine transported to them in the countryside..... And then we’d have all those British whingers complaining because they haven’t been offered the vaccine they wanted.....

Ultimately, its not the British Government (Embassy’s) responsibility to provide us healthcare, but they can lobby and ensure that we are not excluded from options made available to Thai’s....

I don’t know why any of us would expect more than this... some just have an inflated sense of entitlement. 

I still pay tax in the UK but not entitled to any health care

On 5/8/2021 at 7:07 AM, Surelynot said:

Global Britain........he needs the money for his two airplanes and his yacht (plus new wallpaper)

Don't worry sponsors will pay for the wallpaper. Not quite same as for submarines but still for favours. Just that level of favours and personal benefit are different.

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 8:23 AM, richard_smith237 said:

They are still working for the British Government, continue to fall under the NHS umbrella and continue to pay British Taxes. 

Yes but many British living in Thailand likely pay more taxes than those working for the British Embassy/Consulate in Thailand. What do those expats get for their contribution?

• Like 1

OK guys and girls here's a scenario for you... Many on this forum are ex British forces. On Friday 21st May 2021 I drove an ex military man living in south London to RAF Lakenheath (US Air force 48th Wing). He was a US citizen and had served in the US Navy. He went to Lakenheath for his Moderna Covid-19 vaccination at the expense of the US government. Is the British government doing similar for any UK veterans living in Thailand? I have to say I was impressed with the level of care from the US government. This gentleman was only 35yrs of age. Why can't the UK do similar for those ex-forces (or other expats) in Thailand?

• Like 1

On 5/8/2021 at 11:32 AM, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

With the greatest respect you've missed the point. Everyone in the UK is being vaccinated for free whether they've made NI contributions or not, even those living there without right to work or right of abode. The virus doesn't check your immigration status before deciding to spread or not.

Very good comment. This makes sense for the public health of all without discrimination.

On 5/10/2021 at 1:42 PM, Pilotman said:

I pay UK tax at a marginal rate of 40%, that doesn't wash at all. 

You are likely paying much more that the staff at the Embassy or Consulate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redsongthaew said:

Because the UK doesn't have any military bases in Thailand that ex forces personnel can go to?

Great answer. So next question would be why don't they make other provisions? 

5 hours ago, redsongthaew said:

What are you expecting? Do you think the navy is going to moor the RFA Argus Primary Casualty Receiving Ship at Laem Chabang or something?

You are being unrealistic. The fact is that even if fhe UK government supplied vaccine to British citizens abroad it would be on a needs/risk basis. At the minute Thailand wouldn't be at the top of the list, as Thailand is not a red list country.

British nationals in countries such as India would take precedence, and from what I understand, there are lot British nationals in India.

It's the British government. I don't expect them to do anything for their overseas citizens. 

• Like 1

On 5/24/2021 at 1:27 AM, salavan said:

I still pay tax in the UK but not entitled to any health care

Not strictly true, anybody in the UK is entitled to free NHS treatment in an emergency or if a condition is life threatening, even British Expats visiting.

Ongoing treatment is charged for most procedures for patients not resident in the UK, unless they come from a country that has reciprocal healthcare arrangements with the UK.

56 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

Ongoing treatment is charged for most procedures for patients not resident in the UK, unless they come from a country that has reciprocal healthcare arrangements with the UK.

Actually its rarely charged hospitals cant or dont want do it, I have a quite fearsome sister lurking in the  health service who confirmed this

Edited by poohy

UK Embassy Bangkok are simply great at saying” no, we cant help you” including illegal rejection of uk visas for thais with dependent british children. What cases actually exist of this org. actually helping uk citizens in thailand (excluding simple passport verification)..If USA Embassy is facilitating covid vax for their citizens here then there can be no excuse for uk embassy not doing same. Easy to just say no.

14 hours ago, jayboy said:

I don't for a moment believe the consular team is doing than excellent work.It must be dispiriting at times to see here complaints which are not rooted in reality or are poorly informed.I hope never to have to call on your assistance but if I did, I'm sure I'd be dealt with competence and humanity.

However there is one major issue which I'm sure you are working on but communication to resident expatriates is patchy.This is of course the huge gap between what the PM assured the British Ambassador on equal access and the reality being experienced by local Brits.I'm referring of course to the vaccine rollout.There are many elderly expatriates who are seriously worried to the point their mental health is being affected.I personally know two such cases but there must be hundreds.This problem is not going to disappear any time soon.

I don't think most expats have unrealistic expectations of the Embassy (notwithstanding some kooky suggestions on this forum) and certainly don 't think vaccinations should be provided courtesy of HMG.I think what would be appreciated would be a weekly or possibly fortnightly reports (on this forum - why not?) of where we are on this issue.We can do our own research but we don't have the contacts with friendly Embassies and government departments that you do.

Thanks for this supportive message, jayboy. And the suggestion. We agree there is a need, and we are actually just about to launch a vaccines bulletin for British nationals, which will contain updates as and when we get them. We'll announce it here too, and also post the info from each bulletin.