If Thailand goes pear shaped

32 minutes ago, covidiot said:

Followed by roaring 20s ... but let's not get too optimistic 

it's possible,people will want to 'let their hair down" but with more expensive airfares that might dampen it plus continued outbreaks and lockdowns could make it difficult.Another factor against it is hyper inflation.Don't want to sound a pessimist but inflation has already arrived with higher food prices,lumber for house building in USA and OZ is increasing the cost of building a house by more than 36%......when buying food at the market here some prices up 20%....although they get round that by giving you less.

• Like 2

Pear shaped Thailand --That was 97.......There's been nothing like it since.

It was just amazing to see an economy collapse like that..... one day you could not get more then 25 Baht to a $us---then within 72 hours it was 52 baht--nearly 90 to a GBP, 33 to the $Oz, Hugh compounds were open to store the 10s thousands of cars being reprocessed,  Police dragging Mortgagees out of their condo's. The really big retailers hitting the wall.... Some like Thailand's biggest food retailer CP Holdings , selling off Lotus to Tesco-&- Makro to the Dutch.

The complete loss of Tourism now, has hardly made a real dent in the Baht compared to what was happening, back then.

Anyway we are safe now --we have Dog-coin & Bitcoin & all the other really reliable stuff, to help us out..........????

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, thasoss said:

when buying food at the market here some prices up 20%....although they get round that by giving you less.

Some might consider that a public service ....... if only the purchasers would eat 20% less.

Back on topic,

I'm a bit tired of Thailand, the constant anti-white foreigner news really doesn't help.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

when I used to go short time, I never got groceries too... things have surely changed. 

Nah, last week I told the misses I was going to Makro to buy cheese.

Cost me nearly 2,000bht (including the cheese).

54 minutes ago, charmonman said:

Yes, I do. I see very little reason to doubt them. Please explain why I should.

You live in Thailand and don't doubt what these clowns in government say?  are you serious???

• Like 2

On 5/6/2021 at 12:18 AM, Maha Sarakham said:

Definitely agreed.  No one liked the mass hordes of Chinese.

Me also ,especially “the spitting hordes of Chinese” with their rude, obnoxious and loud behaviour

• Like 1

Just now, bbbbooboo said:

Me also ,especially “the spitting hordes of Chinese” with their rude, obnoxious and loud behaviour

The Thai government loves 'em.

They'd rather have 100 Chinese than 1000 white foreigners.

(Even though the Chinese invented COVID)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, charmonman said:

Yes, I do. I see very little reason to doubt them. Please explain why I should.

You are joking aren't you? 

I can't think of any gub'ment that doesn't lie.

'Let me control the media

and I will turn any nation

into a herd of pigs'.

Joseph Goebbels.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, talahtnut said:

You are joking aren't you? 

I can't think of any gub'ment that doesn't lie.

'Let me control the media

and I will turn any nation

into a herd of pigs'.

Joseph Goebbels.

And after the pigs, comes the sheep.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, buffallobill said:

I was in the UK from last March, until January, working for the Ambulance service, I met dozens of people with Covid, and one of my colleagues nearly died from it. 

"Where" may be significant. He gave his location.

If that was London it would not surprise me given it's too toxic for sparrows to live in. I never saw a sparrow in London for 10 years I was there, and they are like flying mice elsewhere ie all over the place. IMO London is an unhealthy place to live.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

Pear shaped Thailand --That was 97.......There's been nothing like it since.

It was just amazing to see an economy collapse like that..... one day you could not get more then 25 Baht to a $us---then within 72 hours it was 52 baht--nearly 90 to a GBP, 33 to the $Oz, Hugh compounds were open to store the 10s thousands of cars being reprocessed,  Police dragging Mortgagees out of their condo's. The really big retailers hitting the wall.... Some like Thailand's biggest food retailer CP Holdings , selling off Lotus to Tesco-&- Makro to the Dutch.

I remember that well. It was actually easy to get around Bkk as not many private cars on the roads.

The hiso's were trying to sell their posh cars in empty parking buildings.

Good times for any farang. Exchange rate was fantastic and inflation didn't happen for at least a year. Happy days for me indeed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, robblok said:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/most-obese-countries

I was wrong there are more countries that are more obese then the US

A lot of the pacific islands have a very high incidence of obesity due to their metabolic "thrifty" phenotype/physiology and western diets.  Micronesians, for example, are particularly fond of turkey tails and spam.  Combined with a metabolism that has evolved to make the most of every calorie consumed (due to limited resources on these islands) it's a recipe for metabolic syndrome.

As a colleague of mine once said "Those who are most in need of losing weight are the least able to do anything about it".

2 minutes ago, pseudorabies said:

A lot of the pacific islands have a very high incidence of obesity due to their metabolic "thrifty" phenotype/physiology and western diets.  Micronesians, for example, are particularly fond of turkey tails and spam.  Combined with a metabolism that has evolved to make the most of every calorie consumed (due to limited resources on these islands) it's a recipe for metabolic syndrome.

As a colleague of mine once said "Those who are most in need of losing weight are the least able to do anything about it".

Its true that there is a difference of metabolic rates but as far as i know its no more then 20% (still a lot) between normal slowwest and fastest metabolic rate. Everyone can lose weight and can be in reasonable shape. Its just a matter of choices but yes for some individuals its harder. I have a slow thyroid i need to put a lot of effort in it when i want to get lean. 

For a time i took Thyroid medicine but it kept me up at night. I stayed lean for a while until i changed diet in BKK (all the stuff could not have plus covid and closing gyms) Now i need to lose around 5-7 kg again to be lean. It will be done but will take months.

But its my strong belief that people can lose weight by changing what and how much they eat. Its just not easy as bad foods are in general more tasty to us. (designed to be that way)

• Like 1

On 5/7/2021 at 7:11 PM, simon43 said:

Chinese tourists are not known for enjoying the simple country life ????

good luck,you live in a beautiful place and i hope it all works out.The chinese ruin everything they touch and the people seem to be scavengers.

6 minutes ago, robblok said:

I was wrong there are more countries that are more obese then the US

When I lived in Kiwi--I would have to do those pacific Islands every 4 weeks,  it was in the early 70s so the Col Sanders hadn't got to them at that point, but a diet of Taro certainly helped the girth even back then, but they were very strong people.....especially Samoans. 

4 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

When I lived in Kiwi--I would have to do those pacific Islands every 4 weeks,  it was in the early 70s so the Col Sanders hadn't got to them at that point, but a diet of Taro certainly helped the girth even back then, but they were very strong people.....especially Samoans. 

I visited Fiji in the 1970s and didn't see a single fat or obese person. Don't know if that's changed.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 8:41 PM, covidiot said:

pandemic will end 

But Endemic will not.

I personally think Thailand is toast.

It was good while it lasted. Adios. Tourism will be decimated.

When they finally manage to vaccinate everyone in 2 years (optimistic view), how will they deal with ongoing strains? 

I think baht will take a bath, but unfortunately not many will stay here to celebrate this fact.

Days Gone. Dawn of the Dead. Cloverfield. Little Shop of Horrors. The Nightmare on Soi Cowboy.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I visited Fiji in the 1970s and didn't see a single fat or obese person. Don't know if that's changed.

In The 70s the Indians were nearly the majority of the population-- but between 1987--2000 "The Fiji Indian diaspora" developed with people of Indian origin fleeing Fiji for Oz,  following the racially inspired coups.  but point taken thaibeachlovers, they are (were) not as obese as the other islanders.

Edited by sanuk711